Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Dremel Cordless Rotary Tool

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Dremel Cordless Rotary Tool

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 12:24 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dremel Cordless Rotary Tool

I got one of these for Christmas this year. I have been using it since then and yesterday I put my corded one away! What an improvement over their previous cordless tool, which was basically useless. This is a real tool that will do most anything the corded one will. I got the kit with the cordless screwdriver. I used it to drive drywall screws into a shelf I built for my wife. I would recommend these tools to anyone that is in the market for a new rotary tool and screwdriver.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:35 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Dremel Cordless Rotary Tool

Which cordless one did you get?? I have the cordless Lithium model that I liked for a while,but has a very annoying habit that makes it difficult to use. When the battery starts getting low the motor will cut off when a load is placed on it. The big problem is that the recharger unit will not start recharging the lithium battery until it has discharged to a specified voltage level. What I had to do is just turn on the Dremel and let it run the battery down. Very very annoying. For a while I thought I was going to like this Lithium cordless dremel, but the problem with the battery has pretty much put it on my useless shelf and I'm back to using the corded Dremels. I have 5 of them with cords and they never give me an ounce of problems, which I can't say for the Lithium cordless.

Of course your milage may vary, but I wouldn't buy another of cordless unit.

Ken
Old 03-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Dr1Driver

I basically agree with you, RCKen. I wasn't aware of the limitations of the lithium batteries in this model, and that's certainly not a recommendation for the tool. I don't know about lithium, but you stall nicads a few times and you can watch the voltage drop off the edge of the table. Nicads don't like constant partial charging and partial use, either. That'll ruin them quickly.

I have three corded Dremel-types that I've put 10 foot cords on and they're just about as versatile as a cordless.

Dr.1
Old 03-10-2008, 03:57 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would also ask the same question. What model did you get? I have a lithium one myself which is great when it is fully charged, but is less than desirable when it is low. Thanks Dave
Old 03-10-2008, 04:38 PM
*JCB*

I personally have this [link=http://www.dremel.com/en-us/tools/tool-detail.htm?H=188091&G=66204&I=69808]Dremel[/link] and have not used my chorded one ever since. It's quite powerful, not as powerful as the chorded model i have, but it suits my purpose just fine. I have noticed that when the voltage gets low, the motor does cut out when a load is put on it, but it will give about 15-20 minutes of solid work before it starts doing this. Unlike what RCKen mentioned, mine will charge at any time and any voltage. I had an initial problem with the unit (i think the battery conked out) and Dremel fixed it free of charge and now it runs like a champ.

Attached Images  
Old 03-10-2008, 04:39 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have the 10.8v Lithium Model, [link]http://www.dremel.com/en-us/tools/tool-detail.htm?H=188091&G=66204&I=69676[/link] . My biggest complaint is the recharge voltage. When the battery starts to get low if I could put it in the charger and have it recharge then I think it would be a great tool. But with the way it works I have to run the batter down before the charger will start a charger cycle, which is a royal pain in the rump to do. Because of this the tool is less than usable for me.

Ken
Old 03-10-2008, 06:42 PM
TooLow
My Feedback: (5)

I have the old clunker cordless and the rechargeable pack pooped out! Not being able to justify a new pack at or above what I paid for it new, I popped the pack apart. Off to harbor Freight and $4.95 later I have a pack @2000mah Nimh. A thin strip of brass soldered on for the bridge of the batteries and 3hr on the orig wall wart and I have a new cordless. beats the 600mah nicad orig pack. Watch at your Lowes or Home Depot and they have from time to time the same cordless only not rechargable--just AA batt. Replace those with Nicad or Nimh and charge with your charger and enjoy

old fart learning new stuff
Old 03-10-2008, 07:46 PM
sowega flyer

I just bought the one that JCB posted in post #5. They are on clearance at the local Lowe's for only 38.00...not bad when the regular price was 69.99. I have a corded one also, but having 2 Dremels can never be a bad thing.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:35 PM
*JCB*

$38.00!!!?!!?? [sm=eek.gif] what a steal!! I feel that mine is well worth the $70 that somebody else (it was a gift [:-] ) paid for it, and for half of that you should feel guilty for using it!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:49 AM
mscic-RCU

I have the one JCB has pictured. I just leave it in the charger bay. I haven't had any battery problems. I think it runs great. I suppose if I have a big job to do with it, I will get out the corded one.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:31 PM
rustypep

I had the same problem and had to send mine in only two months into using it. Their service was great and I had it back in a week. I was impressed! I think they have had a lot of problems with this model. The housing has loosened up on mine as well so it isn't accurate enough to use small drill bits. I do like how it sits in my hand. For $38, I might just start over with a new one. I will probably send it back again to be fixed. It is now a year old. I recently bought the larger lithium model and it seems to work great so far. I also have a Sears branded corded Dremel that is ancient and it still works as well as when I bought it. I just bought the new Dremel drill press stand. It is pretty slick. I use it as a third hand.

ORIGINAL: *JCB*

I personally have this [link=http://www.dremel.com/en-us/tools/tool-detail.htm?H=188091&G=66204&I=69808]Dremel[/link] and have not used my chorded one ever since. It's quite powerful, not as powerful as the chorded model i have, but it suits my purpose just fine. I have noticed that when the voltage gets low, the motor does cut out when a load is put on it, but it will give about 15-20 minutes of solid work before it starts doing this. Unlike what RCKen mentioned, mine will charge at any time and any voltage. I had an initial problem with the unit (i think the battery conked out) and Dremel fixed it free of charge and now it runs like a champ.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Dr1Driver

I picked one up at Lowe's yesterday for less than $40, tax included. At the original sticker of $69.99, it was drastically over-priced. At $40, it's a pretty good deal.

Dr.1