Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Instructors: Programming Guidance Assistance

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Instructors: Programming Guidance Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 01:13 AM
mikenlapaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instructors: Programming Guidance Assistance

Instructors for NEW Pilots
I need some guidance in setting up my radio 9C and plane US 120. Slowly figuring out and implementing but would appreciate your input:
1) on settings for EXPO .( I have the DR sets per the manuf suggestions.)
a) my first inclination is to set them all the same (A,E,& R) for both Hi & Low rates at -20 to slow down and smooth overreactions;
but manual states
"by setting different exponentials for each rate, you can make the effectiveness of small corrections similar in each rate"
I'm sure that makes sense for the pilot with experience, personally I have no idea. Do you have general observations that would assist a new pilot in setting up for similar control inputs when switching from hi to lo rates, either on purpose or accidently?
2) Dual Rate (DR) has activations options other than switches, % travel of other control surfaces. Would we have a safer or easier flight transition not using Switches and using the %? If so, any specific activations relationships?
3) In setting up TRAINER CORD session with a non-9C radio, my first thought is to have as many functions set to NOR as possible. defined in manual: (The training plane is mine.)

NORM: When the TRAINER SWITCH is ON, the channel set to this mode can be
controlled by the student. The set channel is controlled according to any programming set at the student's transmitter.
Reasoning is instructor's radio is set to his preferences on rates and sensitivity, which may lead to 'squirrelly' handling by beginner.
My first, only one to date, trainer session was with his plane, inter-connected cord, tested that controls worked same from both his and students unit and once in air he controlled via Sw
( He must have had all control set to FUNC on his radio, never turned the 9C on to check anything!)
The pilot (commercial and R/C) who volunteered to assist / instruct in getting me flying appears to fly his R/C plane (US 40) well. And he is still on airline payroll! I will be his first or second student.

Both trainer and student want the best possible outcome of these session and some feedback here will assist all of us. There seems to be may obstacles to successful flight.

RCU and the R/C's who respond are fantastic! It still amazes me that 5 months ago I joined RCU having never messed around with R/C and now they class me as a Senior Member. Well if so it is only because of my desire to fly and learn the how to contruct, set-up, operate R/C properly that I rate (Ha Ha) Senior Member status. Due to a language barrier, 99+% of my RC knowledge has come from the Internet. Thank you for the assist.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:20 AM
edge_fanatic
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My only comment...

is to set the Expo to -40 on each surface...for both high and low rates

If you find the surfaces are not sensitive enough, set them lower next time...But start with -40.

Sean