Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

AMA 2009 show

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 12:57 PM
TooLow
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA 2009 show

Could someone, anyone, post pictures of the AMA show? I'm sidelined with a shattered leg and cant get out to see it! Thanks in advance.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:39 PM
skeeter_ca

Default RE: AMA 2009 show

I'm going on saturday. If i remember to take my camera i'll be glad to. Is there anything of special interest you would like fucused on?

skeeter
Old 01-09-2009, 03:53 PM
TooLow

Stop by and say "HI" to Angie at SkyShark's booth
Old 01-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi toolow;

We are flying over to Ontario tomorrow AM and back in evening. Don't plan to take the camera, but will let you know the highlites of the show, and any new or latest trends. + I
just gotta see what's in da swap shop. Hope you get better soon, best regards from Phoenix,

Joe Nagy.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:02 PM
rcjetflyer0718-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went today and there was no swap shop this year[]
Old 01-10-2009, 08:32 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What was your impression(s).....anything new other than foamies?
Old 01-11-2009, 06:42 PM
macdona

No swap meet and I thought the show was not up to parr. Empty tables and lacking a lot of manufactures and distributors. Kinda sorry I wasted 500 bucks to go down and see it.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:53 PM
husker
My Feedback: (1)

You should have stayed home and went to the banquet. It was great
Old 01-11-2009, 09:09 PM
skeeter_ca

"JT*&%(GV&%*%^RGF&^%UGI&R%*&^RKUGYR*&^"

I took lots of pics at the show and am trying to post some of them but photobucket is freaking out on me and not working for me. I will try and get it to work though asap.

skeeter
Old 01-12-2009, 12:06 AM
Joe Nagy

Hi Everyone;

Greetings to you from the 'Valley of the Sun'.

Shirley and I flew over to Ontario yesterday morning to attend the AMA Show, and returned back to Phoenix last evening. Show hours were from 10AM to 6 PM, and we enjoyed it. It was much smaller than in past years, especially when compared to the older IMS in Pasadena, and the old Toledo Conferences of old. Models on display for judging: airplanes, boats/submarines, military vehicles/tanks and such were just plain awesome in their quality and detail, simply incredible. We found many old Friends: Gene Sauter and Family, Merrill Brady and Family, Steve Lund, the boys from MECA. Milt deGroot and Ed Walker and others. Did not see Bill Northrop. SAM was there, but missed seeing the Vnitage RC Sociey booth.

There was a huge crowd at opening time and took almost an hour to get into the building, also, and I am going to grouse about it, was the admission price; for AMA members it was $13, that is OK, but my wife Shirley, being a non AMA member had to pay $15; for myself, I think this was a very poor decision on AMA's part to charge spouses higer fees than their Husband members; I did complain to the AMA booth personell, and wanted to speak to the AMA Prezzie, but like all CEO's, regardless of operations, always seem to be hidden away in meetings, making such big decisions. This spouse charge really rankelled my fur.

For the first 2 hours or so, the show floor and aisles were just jam-packed. As for new products and such I did not find too much of inerest for me; ARFs and RTFs in almost every size from craft you could hold in the palm of your hand up to 1/2 size CAPs and J-3 CUbs....what and where you fly such craft is a mystery to me. There were all kinds of foamie jets and such small and medium size, lots of European gliders and sailplanes small and very big. My bigest surprise was the propeller suppliers, there were at least 3 or 4 prop booths with very large model props up to about 32" and over $100 apiece, holy moly. I saw one large engine booth with motors up to 4 cyls, that could possibly power a volkswagen, but I saw no regular engine booths, lots of electric motors and Battery booths. As for radios: Spectrum, JR, Airtronics and Hi Tech were there, and Hi Tech still do not have their new spectrum like frequency radio ready yet....about June they say, but all had numerous size servos available for almost any use.

And the worst part of this event, save the $15 spouse admission charge discussed previously was there was NO SWAP SHOP.....crap. Had I known that, I would have never went in the first place. To hold an National type event like this and not have a swap shop is ridiculous, again another item to lay at the door of our new AMA Prezzie.

All in all we had a pretty good time, spending most of our time visiting with old Friends and making a bunch of new ones; re new products or new trends....I am at a loss. I purchased 2 items: a little back yard electric ATF for $20, and a tempered dural landing gear ala the old Halco types no longer produced for $10. I usually need a van to bring home all the stuff purchased other years, but not this year. I think with our present dreadful economy situation, and looking ahead to that ever larger growing question mark cloud in the future, everyone is in sort of a holding pattern, making due, wait and see.

We did take pictures, will try and download them tomorrow. Will close for now, best regards from Phoenix,

Joe Nagy.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:29 AM
skeeter_ca

Last year i went to a Model show at LA county fair grounds. Was this the same AMA event or was it another held by someone else? I liked it alot better last year as it had a large indoor dirt track, indoor flying, battle grounds for tanks, lots of free raffles all in two large buildings and an outside area. The indoor dirt track was the biggest hit with races and shows going on almost all day long.

skeeter
Old 01-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The show at the Fairplex is the RCX show which is far, far better than the current AMA Expo.

In fact, the AMA would be well advised to move their convention to the Fairplex where they could have outdoor flight demo's to include glow and gas power as well as the indoor foamie electric stuff.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:11 PM
skeeter_ca

Do you know when RCX is going to have another show this year?

skeeter
Old 01-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

http://www.rcx.com/ME2/Default.asp
Old 01-12-2009, 07:23 PM
skeeter_ca

I'm there!!!!!!!

skeeter
Old 01-13-2009, 01:01 AM
TooLow

I sure miss the ole Pasadena show! Ever since its moved to Ontario, it has gone downhill ever since.and to not have a swap-shop!! thats unforgivable!!
Old 01-13-2009, 01:14 AM
ira d

I really like the Ontario location because its closer but I think the AMA needs to lend
a hand to recover the swap shop because with it I think the show will take a farther
down turn.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:32 AM
Joe Nagy

Hi Everyone, and our sidelined TooLow also;

I posted 14 photos of the AMA show, but being my first time downloading photos, could not get them into this thread, however, did find them in the photo gallery under various headings: helos, antique radios, sailplanes, jets, tanks/other, engines, airplanes et al. If you find them I hope you enjoy them, best regards from Phoenix/ & Florida...flying back over later today.

Joe Nagy.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:07 PM
Joe Nagy

Hi Everyone;

Greetings from the very cool beaches of Manasota Key, Englewood, Florida.

Just a short Followup note te the recent Ontario, CA AMA Show. As you rememember my comments above re the $15 Non Member Admission Charge that my Wife Shirley had to pay to get into the show, etc., and how it did aggravate me, and I compalined.....Well, we received a call fro the AMA, and spoke with a young Lady named Erin, in AMA Events Planning, and she is kindly refunding my Wife's admission fee, and I told her that I would mention that fact herein, and eat my words. Naturally, that $15 will be put to some good modelling product purchase in future. Sometimes, I guess it is good to 'run your mouth', and be heard. Erin also said that to avoid the problem in future would be to purchase advance tickets, which we will do.

There now, Little Joey is a 'Happy Camper' for sure, best regards from a chilly Florida,

Joe Nagy.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Joe Nagy

Hi Everyone;

Oops, in my previous message, I forgot to thank Erin and the AMA for their prompt and positive response to my plight; so, my heartfelt thanks to Erin and the AMA for a job well done, best regards again,

Joe Nagy.