Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sepulveda Basin

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 08:09 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Yes, I do,, this would be a very Minor Misdemeanor,, nowhere near a Hit and Run type offence,

Last edited by scale only 4 me; 12-07-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:18 AM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, this is from the LA County Courts website:

What happens when someone is charged with a misdemeanor?

A misdemeanor is defined as a crime that is punishable by fine and/or imprisonment in a County jail for one year or less. As in most criminal cases, a misdemeanor prosecution starts with an arrest. However, unlike of a felony arrest, most persons charged with misdemeanors are detained only for a short time before they are released by police after promising to appear at their next court date by signing a citation that is known as a "promise to appear."
LA County Courts are where the City prosecutes its criminal cases.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:20 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Yes, I do,, this would be a very Minor Misdemeanor,, nowhere near a Hit and Run type offence,
Hit and run IS a minor misdemeanor basically the same as leaving the scene of an accident. As is trespassing and petty shoplifting.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:05 AM
scale only 4 me

Most areas there are 4 or 5 levels of a misdemeanor charge, they are not all equal

As noted above,, this is the likely police procedure for such an offence

However, unlike of a felony arrest, most persons charged with misdemeanors are detained only for a short time before they are released by police after promising to appear at their next court date by signing a citation that is known as a "promise to appear."
We'll just have to agree to disagree on what may happen until it does
Old 12-07-2015, 11:28 AM
CCTVFlyer
My Feedback: (3)

This thread has been going for 13 years. Amazing.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Silent-AV8R

We'll just have to agree to disagree on what may happen until it does
The chances of it happening to you are nearly zero, while the chances of it happening to me are much greater since I fly at the Field of Dreams park in San Pedro 4 or 5 times a year. So I'll err on the side of caution since I actually have skin in the game.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:44 AM
scale only 4 me

Even though I visit LA a few times a year, and do sometimes fly out there,,,,Since I don't and likely never will fly drones or FPV,, you are right, my chances of being affected by this law are absolutely zero.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:45 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This weekend is the International Drone Expo at the Los Angeles Convention Center.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:20 AM
alanrw

A few days ago I emailed L.A. Councilman Mitch Englander on the new ordinance regarding the operation RC aircraft. The response I received from his office stated there are no substantive changes to the operation of Apollo Field (The Basin) with the implementation of this ordinance.

Just keep it under 400',
Old 03-07-2016, 05:30 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by alanrw
A few days ago I emailed L.A. Councilman Mitch Englander on the new ordinance regarding the operation RC aircraft. The response I received from his office stated there are no substantive changes to the operation of Apollo Field (The Basin) with the implementation of this ordinance.

Just keep it under 400',
The fact that a fly away can land you in jail is not a substantive change?
Old 03-08-2016, 08:45 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
The fact that a fly away can land you in jail is not a substantive change?
So can jaywalking, what's your point? It's not an issue of "could"...it's an issue of probability. Will a fly away land you in jail, sure, you might also win Powerball tomorrow. The chances of either though are minuscule. The FAA's own internal documents show that in almost all cases a verbal discussion or a written confirmation of facts/correct suggestions is all that happens.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:14 AM
Sport_Pilot

The law is a misdemeanor. Jaywalking is an infraction not a misdemeanor. You will not go to jail for jaywalking unless you are not paying your tickets.

Before a flyaway was not even an infraction. But you might have to pay damages if it breaks something.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 03-08-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:48 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The law is a misdemeanor. Jaywalking is an infraction not a misdemeanor. You will not go to jail for jaywalking unless you are not paying your tickets.

Before a flyaway was not even an infraction. But you might have to pay damages if it breaks something.
Where did you see that having a flyaway is a crime?
Old 03-08-2016, 06:38 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by ira d
The leap to get to that point will be an impressive one. Conjecture, speculation, inference, and mix in a dose of WAG, it's all SOP.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:19 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by ira d
Not necessarily any fly away. But any fly away that goes over 500 feet. LA passed a law making it a crime to fly higher than 500 feet, not an infraction like a speeding ticket, but a misdemeanor like petty theft or hit and run.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:53 PM
ira d

Not necessarily any fly away. But any fly away that goes over 500 feet. LA passed a law making it a crime to fly higher than 500 feet, not an infraction like a speeding ticket, but a misdemeanor like petty theft or hit and run.

thanks for the reply, One thing I will say LA California is a pretty messed up place when it comes to stupid laws, however I don't plan to do any RC flying there anytime soon. It does sound ridiculous that you could be
charged with a misdemeanor for having your model fly away but these days you cannot put anything pass the LA city council and the laws they pass.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:29 AM
porcia83
Banned

Just more fear mongering...completely leaving out the probability of this happening, which is slim and none. Leaving aside how many times it might happen, intent is never discussed, the "intent" being the issue that usually gets someone jammed up. An accidental fly away is a far cry from someone intentionally going up over 500 feet to get video of a sporting event, etc etc. Also, of course, there are thousands of laws already on the books that don't get enforced. Sometimes having the law on the books is enough of a deterrent as well.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:54 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by porcia83
Just more fear mongering...completely leaving out the probability of this happening, which is slim and none. Leaving aside how many times it might happen, intent is never discussed, the "intent" being the issue that usually gets someone jammed up. An accidental fly away is a far cry from someone intentionally going up over 500 feet to get video of a sporting event, etc etc. Also, of course, there are thousands of laws already on the books that don't get enforced. Sometimes having the law on the books is enough of a deterrent as well.

Hardly slim or none. I have had several fly away's, at least three. One kept climbing, another flew straight and level OOS (a Jensen Ugly Stick which some say is not stable enough to be a good trainer), I never found those. The one that kept climbing had to be way over 1000 feet when I lost sight of it. I had another that slowly descended and found it with very little damage. I have observed many others, usually with trainers or old timers, they just keep flying. Most aerobatic craft will crash before they get too far. It is not as common as it once was, but a dead battery in a glow or gas engine craft will fly away.

The FAA regulations should be enough for those that intentionally fly in front of aircraft. Local laws are not needed and amount to double jeopardy of sorts.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:33 AM
scale only 4 me

C'mon guys,, take back to the AMA section
Old 03-09-2016, 04:34 PM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

If it is a fly away then it is not under control making it a free flight model not subject to the new sUAS regulations.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:11 PM
porcia83
Banned

C'mon guys,, take back to the AMA section
Ya,..I tried making that suggestion once, on a thread with AMA in the title...was told no, people look in this thread too so it stays. Can't fight city hall.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:14 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by pkoury
If it is a fly away then it is not under control making it a free flight model not subject to the new sUAS regulations.
I don't think they would buy that. It was under control when it took off and they would not want to take your word as to when or even if control was lost.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:32 AM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by porcia83
Ya,..I tried making that suggestion once, on a thread with AMA in the title...was told no, people look in this thread too so it stays. Can't fight city hall.

Stop engaging Sport Pilot on this topic in this thread,, That works

does every thread have to devolve to this subject?
Old 03-10-2016, 04:43 AM
Sport_Pilot

Stop engaging Sport Pilot on this topic in this thread,, That works

does every thread have to devolve to this subject?

With what is going on, yes. In fact we should probably start on the beginners thread.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:36 AM
scale only 4 me

You and your mouse go right a head,,

BTW,,
I'm coming out for a visit in April,, what's the SAE event??
http://www.valleyflyers.club/appolo-xi-schedule.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.