Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RC sunglasses

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 11:44 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC sunglasses

Originally posted by phayd
You've never given a wife a camera at the field before have you? I wanted some good desktop pictures of my plane. I got a bunch of pictures of me.
LOL
Old 06-17-2003, 09:11 PM
xlr82v2
My Feedback: (1)

Default RC sunglasses

Yeah, but I told her that she already knows what I look like... and the airplanes may not make it home... so take pics of them before something happens!!!

Old 06-17-2003, 09:58 PM
Garthwood

Default RC sun glasses

Hi John:
You're the expert.........that was a very interesting piece of info.
What make do you recommend (without punching a large hole in the pocket) for those who wear prescription glasses ?. I use a dark grey clip on for bright sunny days, but for bright cloudy days I'm stuck because everything goes dark and poor contrast.
Which are the ones that you can wear over prescription glasses ?.
Are these type of glasses tend to be a tad heavy especially when one is practically wearing two glasses. I use prescription glasses that come with a clip on shade. Some also come in two different shades. Do you know of any presciption glasses that have these choices of clip ons, I think they're great.
Thanks
Regards
Garthwood
Old 06-17-2003, 10:22 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RC sunglasses

I got the same problem.....

For a while now I've just been using standard glasses that have the magnetic clip on (Easyclip from Lenscrafters). I found that most of these ave a brown lens that seems to work ok.

A while ago, I must've got some deal with free prescription sunglasses, I dug out these wrap around glasses that have a gray lens, they worked pretty good too, and the prescription couldn't have been far off my current glasses as I could see everything ok.

I've also got a pair of Bolle glasses. These are polycarbonate wraps with a prescription frame behind. These are not heavy as everything is plastic but they do feel a bit different. Being sport glasses you can buy a number of different colored lenses for differing sports.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:55 PM
Burrito Bandito

Default RC sunglasses

Garth and Tigger,

When it comes to perscription glasses, I would have to recommend glasses like the Zurich's. While I have no experience with them, I would recomend them because they look very much like what we call "fit-overs". As the name suggests, they are designed to fit-over perscription glasses. Again, I have no experience with them, but they do look very similar to some fit-overs that my company used to have. With the advent and popularity of contacts, we have pretty much gotten out of the fit-over business, as the demand is so low. If you can try out a pair to see if they will fit over your particular glasses, I would highly suggest it. Especially since it looks like the Zurich's come in a variety of lens treatments (colors) for various applications.

Another thing you might try, is to do a google search with the key word "fit-over sunglasses" or "sunglasses" you would be surprised at the number of resources out there that will sell direct to consumers. Still yet, you may try your optomitrist<sp>. They may be able to recommend a local outlet or optical distributor that can get some fit-overs to you.

Then there's always contacts or laser surgery <grins> Those planes just keep getting more and more expensive!!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2003, 11:37 AM
Garthwood

Default RC sunglasses

Tigger/John:
Thanks guys for your prompt suggestions. I'll check out the Lenscrafters people and Zurich and also do some searches on the net. My optometrist has the clip-ons, not much available in yellows or amber, the amber they have is not quite the real amber and in regard to the yellow non is available. Lenscrafters have more choices. The yellow is probable the best choice for those overcast days and maybe the rose color. But than again it depends the covering on the plane.
Regards
Garthwood
Old 06-18-2003, 01:19 PM
trailingedge
My Feedback: (1)

Default RC sunglasses

I have a pair of blue oakleys that I've used for about 3 years now and really like them. They're a little heavy on the pocketbook, but I've used the mess out of them. I have a question for one of the optical gurus out there. The sunset is red because the dust in the atmosphere tends to filter out light in the blue side of the spectrum. If you're wearing red glasses (red is being reflected since the color appears red), won't you be filtering out more usable light and have to take them off earlier in the afternoon than blue? I normally have to take mine off at early dusk with about 30 minutes of flying time left in the day. I don't have any trouble adjusting as the light is just perfect by the time it starts getting dark with my sunglasses. Most of my planes are red or have a lot of red in them. My thinking is that my blue glasses are reflecting more of the light from the blue sky and background objects and letting through more of the red shades of my plane. Okay, I may be way off as I'm not an expert by any means. Any thoughts?
Old 06-20-2003, 01:04 AM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

Default RC sunglasses

Something else I've noted, the mirror finish type lenses actually reflect off the color that it's in rather than let that color thru in tinted lenses - ie:

Blue-ish tint blocks red end and everything looks cooler (blue).

Blue-ish mirror reflects blue and everything looks warmner (red).

Question is, under what conditions do we want to reject which parts of the spectrum to make flying easier? (cloud/cloudy, time of day, landscape, etc)
Old 06-20-2003, 02:38 AM
LUNATIC
My Feedback: (4)

Default RC sunglasses

Originally posted by SwampFlier
I am using Bolle's Titan sunglasses ($80.00 ) purchased in Ecuador so I guess in the US they should be cheaper. They are very comforatle smotimes at the field I forget I have them on!!
they'r in between not really dark but not amber.. they have a greenish/grayish tinit
Bollé is used a lot by skiers.. best ones I have had in a while!!! was thinking Zurich but they were too ugly
I too use Bolle sunglasses for fishing and flying. A little pricey but well worth it!