Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Almost shot down on take off......

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Almost shot down on take off......

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Bigshark

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Almost shot down on take off......

I'm far too nice a person. In many cases I do not think to get po'd till later. This past Sunday wasone of those times. I was flying at acounty parkdesignated as an rc airfield. I was sharing a frequency with another flyer and we were using the frequency board and transmitter impound as required. Another flyer on the same frequency shows up and just shouts out, "Anyone on 14?" Since I was standing on the runwaygetiingready for takeoff Ididn't hear him. He never looked at the frequency board. I started my take off roll and as the plane wentdown the runway my plane crossed closer to his transmitter which but for the grace of god was not at full throttle. My plane went to idle anddown elevator and just rolled to a stop. I walkedto it and shutdown the engine manually byplugging the exhaust and carried it back to the starting stand. It took another fewminutes ofwatchingmy planejerk aroundon the stand to know that these movements weren't random. The other pilot who was sharing the pin with me noticed the knucklehead piloton our channeland let him know what he'd done. The knucklehead was appropriately appologetic and I didn't make a really big deal outof it.No harm done thankfully. Later on I started thinking more about this.....

The plane I was getting ready to launch is a Four Star 120 with aSuper Tigre 2300 in thenose turning a 17inch prop. If the knucklehead had gone full throttle god only knows what mighthave happened. We fly at a county park without much in theway of club orcountyoversight. There are club safety folks there from time to time but we are pretty much able to police ourselves. Later,I remembered I'dhad a similiar but not as dangerous run in with this knuckleheadbefore.That timehe was a the field before me. I got there putmy card on the frequency board, switched on andgot massive glitching. I started range checking the radio and noticed the knuckleheadalso having some issues. The knucklehead doesn't have the frequency number on his transmitter so I dentifying him isn'teasy. He was nice enoughabout it then, too.

On second thought I should've maybe gone medieval on his posterior. He could've cause a ton of damage through his laziness and carelessness.It's silly but my first feeling was relief that my construction and equipment wasn't the cause of the glitching.I know Icould probably convert to 2.4 gig and doaway with thiskind of problem but Ishouldn't have to.

What do you think?

Old 06-22-2009, 02:17 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Almost shot down on take off......

There are lots of knuckleheads in this hobby. Go to 2.4
Old 06-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Bigshark

I know and If my trusty old Hitec Flash 5 ever gives up the ghost I probably will.......
Old 06-22-2009, 03:50 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

he made a mistake and it sounds like he apologized.....

hopefully lesson learned....

nothing was lost so no reason to get too upset....
again assuming that the person learned a lesson....

that being said

psst....  2.4
Old 06-22-2009, 04:48 PM
tiger90

Common happening this day and time. We had a fellow destroy his own plane that way. He had two planes,with two transmitterson the same frequency. He had flown one, then landed that one and got the other ready to go, he had let the first transmitter on, his second plane got airborne about 8 feet high full throtle it then rolled right nosed down and exploded on impact. As it has been said 2.4 is a great cure and a good investment, interferance cane come from many sources and you will not be warned.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:08 PM
redfox435cat

I was **** down some years ago. I was fly my first gp cub 40 and my buddy didn't check the board, got ready to maiden hid ultimate bipe. He couldn't hear a thing over that 1.8. To no avail I watch my cub fly in circles a coule laps with intermitent control then lat over and spiral in. He relized what happended about that point and was dumbfounded. At least no one got hurt and he practically had a the wing mocked up on a new kit buy the time I showed up to the shop, he was the LHS owner. It never happended again.

For this guy. The first time on the ground a sern talking to is in order. The second time, A seriouse toung lashing is due. The guy doesn't sound like he gets it and it ill probably be your equipment that gets thrashed, and that's the best case senerio.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:27 PM
outdoorhunting

OK. What should you do if it happens a third time?? Had it happen at a previous club.. The first time we kinda laughed it off.( Nothing serious happened) Second time, a really good chewing out.. Didn't happen a third time; every time he showed up, we would ALL holler out," here comes Jerry' everybody check the freq board !! We embarassed him into doing it the right way..
Old 06-22-2009, 07:02 PM
redfox435cat

sound like your on the right track. Peer presure is a powerful thing. some people ya just gotta call em out, I know I've been called out when I was learning, it pissed me off but I got over it. As far as what to do, make sure he know he's buying ya a new model if ya break something becuase he shot ya down, . Our feild usually has 1 of the 3 safty guys around and sick them on him. If none of the staff member are there I guess it's between you and him. If he can't follow the rules he doesn't need to be flying there. Unfortunetely we had to ban a guy for a month this weekend simply becuase he just won't follow the rules, He broke every rule we had every weekend for a month, when our feild get busy with allot of big planes we just can't tolerate it, couse we just got the feild and don't wanna loose it.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:21 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

When he shouted out if anyone was on 14 did you reply? If not then you should have.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:47 AM
redfox435cat

if it was like my situation you can't hear a darn thing 50 from the pits when engines are running
Old 06-23-2009, 07:10 AM
outdoorhunting

It is the latest guy to the field responsibility to MAKESURE his freq is NOTINUSE!! BEFOREHE TURNSANYTHINGON.What are ya gonna do,if you're flying & ya hear a truck come in??Is it your responsibility to look around to see; #1, who it is,#2 try to figure out what freq. he's going to fly, #3, watch him & make sure he doesn' turn on his TX, or #4 KEEPYOUREYES&CONCENTRATIONON YOUR OWN PLANE !!!! If the guy that did it in that club twice & it was explained to him what NOTTODO & he did it again. In my opinion ,( if no damage occured) he should be asked to leave his stuff in the truck,( no flying for a while) !!!!!!!! If he caused damage; he WOULD be expected to pay.. If he wouldn't pay, then he would be banned from the club. I think the club should follow up & get in touch with other local clubs & let them know that he isa safety hazard!!Period !!!
Old 06-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Bigshark

ORIGINAL: rc-sport

When he shouted out if anyone was on 14 did you reply? If not then you should have.

I was was 20 yards away on the runway standing next toa growling glow engine. I didn't hear his call and he didn't check the frequency board. The field was fairly busy as well and clearly he couldn't cover everyone there by voice alone.

Hopefully I'll never run into this guy again while flying, period but if I do hopefully he's learned his lesson. In any case I think I should've called him out more forcefully.

Thanks to all,
Rich

Old 06-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Bigshark

ORIGINAL: outdoorhunting

It is the latest guy to the field responsibility to MAKESURE his freq is NOTINUSE!! BEFOREHE TURNSANYTHINGON.What are ya gonna do,if you're flying & ya hear a truck come in??Is it your responsibility to look around to see; #1, who it is,#2 try to figure out what freq. he's going to fly, #3, watch him & make sure he doesn' turn on his TX, or #4 KEEPYOUREYES&CONCENTRATIONON YOUR OWN PLANE !!!! If the guy that did it in that club twice & it was explained to him what NOTTODO & he did it again. In my opinion ,( if no damage occured) he should be asked to leave his stuff in the truck,( no flying for a while) !!!!!!!! If he caused damage; he WOULD be expected to pay.. If he wouldn't pay, then he would be banned from the club. I think the club should follow up & get in touch with other local clubs & let them know that he isa safety hazard!!Period !!!

I hear ya. That's just about what happened. He showed up after I was engine on and ready to taxi.

I'm going to have to check into what, if any, enforcement mechanisms are available for the field's safety code. It's in a county park "administered" by a "club."The only requirement for joining theclub though, is a $10-$20 annual donationfor field maintenance. It is normally a wonderful situation....

Thanks,
Rich
Old 06-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Mike in DC

ORIGINAL: Bigshark

I know and If my trusty old Hitec Flash 5 ever gives up the ghost I probably will.......
If I were you, and I really couldn't afford the switch to 2.4, I would definitely pay the $25 or whatever it is to change frequencies. Surely your plane is worth a ton more than that. I doubt anything you do will change the other guys behavior.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Bigshark

I didn't even know that was an option. I just may have to check with the Hitec folks on the cost to change. Then again while I sent my tranny in I'd need something else to fly with......hmmmm
Old 06-24-2009, 04:12 PM
kriegsmacht

Next time he shows up say.. "Hey how's it going?" yadda yadda.. so are you still on 14? Well would you PLEASE make sure you use the frequency pins so I know when you're going up? You know you almost cost me a plane last time.

If you catch him flying without a pin in place, on a channel that you have pinned, turn your radio on for a second. You'd be in the right wouldn't you? Just for a second or two to give him a good scare. "Well I checked the board.. wheres your pin?"

I guess thats kind of a jerk thing to do, but if you asked him to use the board and he still doesn't, then its either that or call him out about it again for the third or fourth time.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Bigshark

I don't think I'd mess with him that bad, though I may not be to legally to blame if anything happened. I'm definately keeping an eye out for him in the future.....
Old 06-25-2009, 04:30 PM
flying_tree

OR, you could just let him know you are going to fly BEFORE you take off. :P
I had the same problem at our field before I went 2.4...just let each other know whats happening...shouldn't be a matter of getting upset.
In my opinion, you were both in the wrong...just not intentionally. Just my 2 cents.... And kreig, just the thought that someone would actually even think about doing something like that to someone is just kinda sickening. No offense directed to anyone.

-Justin
Old 06-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Bigshark

Not to try to flame you or anything but I had the frequency on the board and was in the process of taking off when Mr knucklehead arrived, switched on, and aborted my takeoff for me. Once he acknowledged my existance, we had no further trouble and three of us shared the frequency for the rest of the day.

My later thoughts were about the possible damage that he could've caused, at the very least to my plane. I fail to see how we both could've been wrong.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:42 PM
outdoorhunting

Sometimes ya do what ya gotta do.!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2009, 06:13 PM
kriegsmacht

flying_tree: And kreig, just the thought that someone would actually even think about doing something like that to someone is just kinda sickening. No offense directed to anyone.
So my input kinda sickens you. It's sort of funny how you say that, then say "no offense" like that makes it not offensive.

The offending guy was operating his model at a field without using the frequency board. Isn't that sort of a major etiquette offense? I think most folks would be so embarrassed as to never do it again.

Then the SAME guy later ignores the board again and switches on a transmitter while another flyer is actually IN OPERATION.

I was discussing options for the unthinkable event in which the SAME guy carelessly disregards the value others property (not to mention safety) a THIRD time.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:53 PM
outdoorhunting

Ahh, I think you're "quote & reply" was to flyingtree not me. I'm pretty much with you on this deal' Personally,after the 2nd time or 3rd time he did that, I would explain to him that I would proceed to make his nose a little wider than it normally was. If after a 3rd time he did it & brought down one of my planes. I would calmly walk over to him & put both feet on his plane in a forcefull way & say, "I guess we're even now. Sorry, I know that will bring out a bunch of "oh, my God you should never get upset guys", I'm not made that way. I feel" what goes around comes around"
Old 06-26-2009, 12:37 AM
kriegsmacht

Outdoorhunting, yes sorry it was to flying_tree. I just clicked "post reply" at the end of the thread I guess.

If a club had to abolish every rule except only the most important, which would it be? Some places might consider membership or AMA requirements, but without the cardinal rule of managing the channels you would need a lot of insurance because planes would be raining down on everyones heads.

No excuse to mess up a second time, it's pure negligence. A third time seems like a serial offender with little regard for anyone else.

And really all I said was glitch him anyways.

Anyways guys.. have a good one!
Old 06-26-2009, 11:27 AM
flying_tree

Kreig, you treat this frequency board like its one of the ten commandments haha. Look, if you have that many problems with getting shot down, go 2.4 or get another frequency because what you said "but without the cardinal rule of managing the channels you would need a lot of insurance because planes would be raining down on everyones heads." sounds like everyone at your field is on the same channel! I have flown at many fields on 72 MHZ and they didn't have a freq. board....no issues!

You guys seem to be treating this poor guy like he committed a horrible sin haha.

-Justin
Old 06-26-2009, 12:01 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I'm normally a proponent of settling these disputes calmly, but if its the second time the person violated the frequency protocol, I would have gone verbally medieval on his ___. The only excuse for such behavior is laziness. I'd have his picture posted at the field along with a warning, and everybody I knew would be checking his every move. Since its a county park, you probably can't have him banned should a third offense occur. Assuming he's an AMA member, if you can get his AMA number, its worthy of reporting him. Finally, I'd be collecting any receipts I could for my planes and keep them in a package. The next time he shows up at the field, present him with a copy and tell him the next time he screws up, this will be the bill.

Brad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.