Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Poor Website Performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 02:11 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Poor Website Performance

Is it just me or has the response time to download pages and post replies gone down the proverbial camode? I ask because if it's just me then I think that a conversation with Comcast is in order.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:59 PM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Poor Website Performance

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

Is it just me or has the response time to download pages and post replies gone down the proverbial camode? I ask because if it's just me then I think that a conversation with Comcast is in order. [img][/img]
The time from clicking 'quote' until the page was ready for typing was less than 1 second.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:16 PM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find things pretty fast!

Paul
Old 09-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Live Wire

Well
Must be where we are located[:@] You never know what to expect. Week ends are a JOKE. and you can never tell what is going on Must be the weather
Larry K
Old 09-12-2009, 04:55 PM
MetallicaJunkie

i have found that there are time when RCU is laggy, and the rest of the internet is fine
Old 09-12-2009, 05:16 PM
outdoorhunting

Sir LiveWire. Maybe it's the altitude... I've got Comcast here. RCU is usually pretty quick. Every now & then it slows down. I wasn't going to mention it, but, 3800 ????? Wow. Later, Ed
Old 09-12-2009, 07:31 PM
SeamusG

It took over 30 seconds from the time that I hit the email link for this thread and this screen.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:21 PM
speedy72vega

It's not just you seamus, it's been very slow for me too the last couple of days. Must be a Colorado thing............
Old 09-12-2009, 08:26 PM
warningshot

It

Is it just me or has the response time to download pages and post replies gone down the proverbial camode? I ask because if it's just me then I think that a conversation with Comcast is in order. [img][/img]
It's slow in Oklahoma for me.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Deadeye

A little slow on thumbnail enlarging for me in MT sometimes. There is a server on here that is sometimes slow, I'm told. Log out and back in and see if that helps. There really could be a plethora of things going on, though. DNS issues can sometimes be a problem, especially if there are a lot of 'hops' between you and the servers at RC Universe. You could be at the mercy of 30 servers or more before your request to download a web page gets to RCU. If there is an issue in any of those servers, the chain is broken. It's just links in a chain.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:03 PM
SeamusG

What I find interesting is that when I "ping" the rcuniverse website it takes 62 ms. Not screaming fast but fast enough. Once the handshaking goes on between my browser and the website things really slow down. But right now, things are pretty quick.

Go figure - the internet is starting to hit a wall at high demand times ...

psst - speedy - didn't think that a Vega could EVERbe speedy! Don't care if'n you're at altitude or not

Just kiddin' ...

Old 09-12-2009, 11:26 PM
speedy72vega

What I find interesting is that when I ''ping'' the rcuniverse website it takes 62 ms. Not screaming fast but fast enough. Once the handshaking goes on between my browser and the website things really slow down. But right now, things are pretty quick.

Go figure - the internet is starting to hit a wall at high demand times ...

psst - speedy - didn't think that a Vega could EVER be speedy! Don't care if'n you're at altitude or not [img][/img]

Just kiddin' ...

[sm=lol.gif] My Vega has a 383 Stroker, subframed, 9" rear with a 4 link, tubbed, etc. It runs mid 12's at 112mph on pump gas and street tires. I'd say that's kinda speedy .
Unfortunately I don't have that car anymore, but I just can't give up the nickname............You have to admit, NOT your typical Vega!!!!
As far as the website, mine seems ok tonight, only the last 2 days it was slow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57799.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1274033  
Old 09-13-2009, 07:23 AM
outdoorhunting

Nope!! It's in Indiana too. It seems that I can get to the posts fairly quick. But if I try to go to a link shown on a post, forget it. It seems to come & go. Sometimes very quick, sometimes, like a slug.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:00 AM
SeamusG

Hey moderator - you takin' notes and passing them on to the powers that be?
Old 09-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Live Wire

I think RC Ken had a hard time up here. Must be the clean air
Oh yes , It does flash a note how to check for problems when it goes blank
Old 09-13-2009, 10:14 AM
SeamusG

ORIGINAL: speedy72vega
My Vega has a 383 Stroker, subframed, 9" rear with a 4 link, tubbed, etc. It runs mid 12's at 112mph on pump gas and street tires. I'd say that's kinda speedy .
Unfortunately I don't have that car anymore, but I just can't give up the nickname............You have to admit, NOT your typical Vega!!!!
As far as the website, mine seems ok tonight, only the last 2 days it was slow.
Not your mother's Vega. Em, no plate. I bet Littleton law enforcement knew where ya live. SBC live forever.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:27 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Servers can only do so much. When there are a bunch of people trying to go the same place at the same time traffic slows down. Just like on the high way.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:46 PM
mvigod
Banned

Admin here....sometimes things are slow due to routing issues from your isp to our servers and other times one of our many servers could be having a hiccup. I will be adding an additional server (we currently have about a dozen but five front ends with one offline). When the additional server comes online that will help for the times that things go crazy on our end. Also I am replacing one other server after the new server is online as it has been finicky a few times a week which could be what some of you have seen sporadically.

We have our busy season coming up this quarter so I'm working on prepping for the additional demand
Old 09-13-2009, 04:55 PM
SeamusG

Thx RCAdmin - I used to work for an airline / car / hotel reservation system. We handled 1/3 of all worldwide traffic. Our peak rate was something like 9000 transactions a second. I understand capacity vs. demand. I was just bringing it up to, well, bring it up to someone's attention - like yours. . Guess the thread was successful. Normally when I encounter a performance problem with a site I go ahead and ping the IP address to see if it's the internet path or something else. When I was having horrid response loading stuff from RCU the average ping was something like 62 ms. But the time to load was more like 20 - 30 seconds or more, much more.

Thanks for takin' time to respond.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:03 PM
mvigod
Banned

Thx RCAdmin - I used to work for an airline / car / hotel reservation system. We handled 1/3 of all worldwide traffic. Our peak rate was something like 9000 transactions a second. I understand capacity vs. demand. I was just bringing it up to, well, bring it up to someone's attention - like yours. . Guess the thread was successful. Normally when I encounter a performance problem with a site I go ahead and ping the IP address to see if it's the internet path or something else. When I was having horrid response loading stuff from RCU the average ping was something like 62 ms. But the time to load was more like 20 - 30 seconds or more, much more.

Thanks for takin' time to respond.

Next time it happens and you do confirm a good ping time do the following:

1) Go to any page on rcu except for a forum page or the homepage. For example click to the magazine.

2) Scroll the the bottom of the page and note which server you are on. it will be RCU1, 2, 3, 4 or 5.

3) Send me a PM for fastest response with the server you are on plus the ping time. Also advise what kind of delay are you are seeing and the time (and zone) it is occuring.

4) One other thing is when you do a ping check send at least 50 packets and see if there is any loss. A very small loss of just 5% or 10% of packets can translate into very long page load times. So you might get a good ping of say 30ms but if there are just a few packets dropping that will delay or stop a page from loading.

thanks

marc