Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Your favorite model type

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your favorite model type

SPAD of course
Old 07-03-2003, 02:48 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Gotta be WWI scale balsa kits/scratch build. +5'5" 110lbs......
Old 07-03-2003, 02:49 AM
My Feedback: (9)

SPAD for sure! I love to build things and say I designed that.If you do your own design with wood,foam,etc. and it does not fly,you are out of some money and alot of time. I can build an airframe for less than $10 and less than 10 hours. Some ARF's take up to 15 hours to build.Nothing wrong with foam,balsa,composite,etc..."to each his own"
Old 07-03-2003, 03:13 AM
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I like kits.

It seems that the world has gone to ARF's. I wish more manufacturers would come out with updated kits. The Midwest and Lanier kits are fine- but you gotta be mindfull of weight with them. I can't afford a Carden kit or the engine it takes to fly a 40% plane.

I fly aerobatic planes. Generally 25% or bigger. Kit choices are a bit limited now. I wish Lanier would rekit the Ultimate Pitts with a bigger wingspan. I believe it is currently about 60". I'd love to see that plane in a 70" or 80" size. I'd like to see Midwest kit a few 30% aerobats. Then I'd be in heaven.

I like a lot of the ARF's, but I just prefer to build my own planes. It would be REALLY cool if the ARF manufacturers would release a few of their planes in kit form. That way I could get a 30% Cap or a 31% Edge in a kit.

I'd like to build from plans someday, but no time, patience or space right now. Maybe when I'm older.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:20 AM

Spad On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-03-2003, 03:26 AM

SPADs

I love FREE Coro.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:42 AM

Balsa is great
ARF is no good
ARC better than ARF but still no good

But the fun factor must go to SPAD

So go SPAD ... .. .
Old 07-03-2003, 11:22 AM

Default decisions, decisions.

Spads at the moment as I am in the trick or trash manouvre learning program, Love the way they bounce!
Then comes the ARF'S as I am not a builders backside, yet!
In a couple of years I may, no, will try to build a kit as that is the ultimate in perfection ( OR SHOULD BE ).
BTW......... could this be a multiple choice or " rated " poll.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:28 AM
`3D
My Feedback: (1)

lets see..

Cost...SPAD
FUN...SPAD
Fear of crash....no fear..SPAD
Repair time.....(almost none).....SPAD

Did I say cost..(about $10).....SPAD

Try it....you'll like it.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:29 AM

Although I have not yet built a kit I put my vote toward the box of sticks. So far all I have dealt with were ARF's, but the next one is surly going to be a kit.

I am surprised to see the SPAD, up so high and I missing something?

Blackie
Old 07-03-2003, 12:09 PM

Blackie,

You never know till you try. Build a SPAD3d or PQHOR and try it. It will take you about two hours of build time. No glue even required for those two. I know some 3-d-ers that fly the expensive balsa 3d planes and the spad 3d planes. They seem to enjoy both quite well.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:26 PM

Yes, I agree "Resistance is futile".

As an older person on a fixed income, I really can't afford RC as my main hobby.
BUZZ! Wrong! Now I can build and fly as much as I want to!

SPAD! Save the wood for gliders.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:38 PM
My Feedback: (2)

The SPAD JIHAD lives. I think there is a conspiracy within the ranks of the SPADsters to skew the poll. They really are'nt planes just flying toys.

Now calm down SPADster's, I have a SPAD3D that I've been flying (read my post on your forum) so I know of what I say. It has it's place and is fun but compared to my GP PW Extra, c'mon who you tryin to kid?

Blackie, yes do build and fly one, the 3D is a great learing tool, but I don't think you'll trade in your fleet for SDAD's, the same way you would't stop flying real planes for the simulator.

Sorry SPADguys, love my 3D's but have you ever flown a 1/4 scale gas aerobat?
Old 07-03-2003, 01:56 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Geez, there are a lot of spad nuts on here. I haven't ever tried them but am starting to think I should. Sounds like they are a blast.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:09 PM

I scratchbuild all my planes, but they are all scratchbuilt Spads, so since they were named in the poll, that's what I went for.

Sorry SPADguys, love my 3D's but have you ever flown a 1/4 scale gas aerobat?
No sorry needed, as for a gasser aerobat, not sure if you are refering to a spicific airplane or not, but how close would a Spad gasser UltraSpadStick be? Kraut has 10 hours and $30 into the plane (not counting having to buy a new weedeater)...keep an eye on the site...plans coming soon

http://members.cox.net/spad01/misc/ultraspadstick2.JPG
Old 07-03-2003, 02:32 PM

Wow, surprising toll for Spads so far, although I thought them to have a rising popularity, I also think the others are in the woodwork so to speak!!

Dave
Old 07-03-2003, 03:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by surfimp
All your base are belong to SPAD
ROFLMAO!!!!
Old 07-03-2003, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by BasinBum
The SPAD JIHAD lives. I think there is a conspiracy within the ranks of the SPADsters to skew the poll. They really are'nt planes just flying toys.
Take a popular Spad, say the DPS, and compare it to something similar in balsa, say a Hangar 9 TigerStick. Now, tell me, exactly, what is it that makes the Spad a "Flying Toy" and the TigerStick a "Plane". What specifically?

The DPS is infinitely more durable. Strength=Toy?
The DPS is 1/10 the price. Affordability=Toy?
The DPS is much easier to repair when damaged. Simplicity=Toy?
The DPS is made of plastic, the TigerStick wood. Does the use of any building material other than balsa = Toy?

Seriously, what qualities seperate a plastic Spad from a balsa plane that contribute to it being a toy? Could it be that when you build and fly Spads, you feel years younger? Could it be that Spad puts the fun back into the hobby, thus making you feel like a child again? If this is what you're getting at, then I agree with you fully, Spads are Flying Toys, and I wouldn't have it any other way. As for skewing the poll, every RCU member is free to vote here, so that's an interesting notion. For someone who has built and enjoyed a Spad design, this was a very nice thank you.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:52 PM
My Feedback: (5)

This is why I made the point earlier that spad is a construction material, as opposed to a construction technique such as scratch building. Yep, you can scratch build a spad, but that didn't appear to be the point of the poll.

Now, what started off as a good poll has degenerated into yet another useless "up with spads" thread.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:58 PM

Frank,
I apologize, your right, you've convinced me that SPAD's are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

As the famous Mr. Matt said, "One day someone will build a plane out of used Tampons and dirty diapers and call the SPAD guys elitists".
Old 07-03-2003, 04:11 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Yep ,Frank there is "one" in every bunch of apples.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:30 PM

what started off as a good poll has degenerated into yet another useless "up with spads" thread.
A lot of RCU'ers are Spadders, a poll was posted and they came and voted. If you think it's degenerated, research the thread and ask yourself why. And if the answer is "too many Spadders voted" so someone decided to get smart, so then Spadders decided to once again defend them selves...well so it goes in the mean time, keep it up and thanks for the guys you've gotten interested. (I track web stats, and these are real eye openers)...so again, thanks!

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. For something to become "up with" it must have begun with a "down with"

P.S. I'm waiting for the plans to come out for the UTDD flyer
Old 07-03-2003, 04:33 PM

Can't we have a thread, just once, just once, without SPAD bashing. I think the results speak for themselves. I guess the balsa guys could add up all the other catagories, so they could say balsa is perfered and us spadders should drop off the face of the earth. Get real.

As for the tampons and dirty diapers comment. If I could think of a way of using them and save a few pennies I would use them. Not used of course, that is just not sanitary.

P-51B,

You picked a good aviator for yourself.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:44 PM

The Coro must give off fumes that make people lose their sense of humor. And Tattoo, this became an up with SPAD thread long before I made FUN (yes FUN, not inflametory or mean spirited) of SPADs. So there are a lot of SPAD fans on RCU that answered this poll and most take my comments in stride. Some of you guys need to loosen up, we're talking about big toys, all of them Balsa,Coro, foam whatever...they are just toys so relax.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:45 PM

You know, when I see a comment that puts down my preferred method of building, especially if said comment is innaccurate in my opionion, I respond. It's just my nature, I'm not a "Turn the other cheek" kinda guy, is all. But I will say I only do this in response to such comments. No degenerating comment, no response, and the thread would have stayed perfectly on track. It's common knowledge that if you bash something, anything, this will happen. Stop bashing. Simple as that.

BTW, the "I was just kidding, you guys are too serious" defense is O-L-D.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.