Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Top Flite's Missile Red spray paint.

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Top Flite's Missile Red spray paint.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 12:20 PM
RWeston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite's Missile Red spray paint.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a color matching problem with Top Flite's Missile Red spray paint.

My DHC-2 Beaver is covered entirely in Missile Red MonoKote (New Zealand markings) but the spray paint does not match the covering - it's too orange.

Tower Hobbys has credited my account for the paint, stating that a replacement would probably be the same batch and that they have had several queries regarding this same color paint problem. Seems to me that Top Flite has a color matching problem.

Has anyone else had similar problems?
Old 02-07-2010, 12:50 AM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Top Flite's Missile Red spray paint.

Yes. Just painted a cowl to match missile red Monokote. I got the same wild orange-red you did. Sprayed a sample from another can from the LHS, same thing. Ended up spraying Midwest Stearman Red. Too dark of a red for a true match but much better than the missle red Lusterkote.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:32 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

I painted the firewall of a Stick this color and it matches the covering just fine, I was actually really impressed by the match. But, this was 8 years ago, so maybe something changed in the formula since then to make it more environmentally friendly or something.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:39 AM
carrellh

It seems to be a common problem. Each production run of covering is slightly different. Each batch of paint is slightly different. After several runs of each, you end up with very different colors.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:19 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Lustercoat paints have never been anything other than a close color match with the bulk of them being way off. What I ended up doing is to take a scrap of my covering and going down to the Home Depot and getting a perfect color match in Latex Paint. Once the latex is dry, I just spray on a clear coat. I have heard that some auto paint shop suppliers will do the same color match and make you a rattle can. Good Luck, Dave
Old 02-07-2010, 11:37 AM
RWeston

Thanks Dave - I'll keep that info in mind. I've also sent this forum's link to Great Plains Distributors, who own Top Flite. Perhaps we can get them to pay more attention to quality rather than "bottom line".

Richard
Old 02-08-2010, 02:12 PM
carrellh

They will probably discontinue the red paint. No paint, no problem.

The Top Flite web site http://www.monokote.com/lustrekote/p...r7200tip1.html has the following statement:
"LustreKote colors match MonoKote covering's 20 most popular colors"

As of Feb 8 they have ten items listed including clear and primer.
http://www.monokote.com/lustrekote/lustrekote.html
TOPR7502 Missile Red
TOPR7518 Cub Yellow
TOPR7504 Yellow
TOPR7508 Insignia Blue
TOPR7505 Jet White
TOPR7509 Black
TOPR7506 Aluminum
TOPR7500 Flat Clear
TOPR7501 Crystal Clear
TOPR7527 Primer White
Old 02-08-2010, 02:48 PM
RWeston

That IS interesting! They seem to be in a process of elimination, although they state "A huge selection of colors to match MonoKote covering!" But then they list only 8. As you said - no paints, no problems. I guess we'll have to learn the art of spray painting and paint mixing in order to continue covering our models.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Due to the deline in kit building and finishing with paints, the demand for the number of different colors has greatly declined over the past few years. Hence, the reduced number of color options available.

However, be that as it may, if anyone has difficulty with LustreKote paints, they need only send us the bad paint and we'll replace it. We don't want anyone stuck with bad paint.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:42 PM
RWeston

Thank you for your response. If I return the Missile Red spray paint, would you be able to assure me that replacement paint will actually match the Missile Red MonoKote, which is presently covering my model?

The paint itself is not defective. It is only that the color match is way off, orange-ish rather than red.

Richard
Old 02-08-2010, 03:59 PM
carrellh

If it's not really selling I can understand not having more made as supplies run out.
Other than not being a great color match for Monokote, I think it is good paint. I painted a field box with it "several" years ago and it has held up very well.
I have one model covered in fabric and painted with LustreKote Missile Red and Jet White. Since everything is painted there's no color matching issue and I think it looks really good.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:06 PM
RWeston

I agree - it is a very good paint and I use it quite often. I guess I'm just a bit caught up in this color matching thing right now.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Crash-RCU

You can also go the paint stores like Sherwin William, Perfect Paint ect and have small batches mixed up. I like to use quick dry enamels then clear coat to make fuel proof with oil based polyurethane, just don't use the poly over white or light pastels as it will yellow, reds yellows and dark colors it works great. You can also pick up spray bottles at the paint stores. Propellent spray can on top of a glass jar, dosen't replace a spray gun but works pretty good for touch up and small jobs. Just remember to strain the paint going into the jar
Old 02-11-2010, 08:41 AM
RWeston

Thanks for the heads-up regarding the clear over white. I was about to do that on the floats for this DHC-2 Beaver!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:28 AM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[8D]I buy my spray paints from a local auto shop. I bring them a piece of the covering that
I want their paint to match and they match the color perfectly. I do have to clear coat their
paint for fuel proof protection, which they sell in a spray can also.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:56 AM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: JCOKEEFE

[8D]I buy my spray paints from a local auto shop. I bring them a piece of the covering that
I want their paint to match and they match the color perfectly. I do have to clear coat their
paint for fuel proof protection, which they sell in a spray can also.

We get our match paint from O'Reilly's Auto Parts store. The guy has some type of tool (laser) that matches the paint.

I have carried a 3.1m Comp Arf fuse into the store, and the guys matched the paint perfectly. It's expensive but it's a perfect match.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:24 AM
RWeston

Thanks to everyone for all the help and suggestions on this paint-matching question!