Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Is YouTube charging $ now?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Is YouTube charging $ now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:27 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is YouTube charging $ now?

I sent an e-mail link to an old flyin' buddy that has a YouTube vid embedded in it...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-fly-8min.html

My friend was a right waist gunner on a B-50D in the early 1950's so I thought he would like to see the video that's about half way down the page.

He watched it, then watched a few more YouTube vids after that...
Next day, he tells me there is a $1.00 charge that was AUTOMATICALLY deducted from his checking account!?
I've never heard of that...never happened to me, and I've watched dozens of YT vids recently...

One dollar is not a big deal, but the fact that there is a charge that was automatically withdrawn from his checking account without his prior knowlege...THAT's what is [:@]???!!!

Anyone know what the *&$%#@! is going on here?

I have sent this same question out to YT but have not gotten a reply...yet.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:04 PM
klaymon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is YouTube charging $ now?

There are no charges.  Also, how could they deduct money from his checking account without his account information (routing number, account number, bank name, etc)?  Your buddy is getting charged from someone else.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:49 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I don't think so proptop, something else going on here.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Access

Tell him to check his computer for viruses, malware, etc., call up his bank and put a freeze or password on the checking account in question, etc. It's not youtube making those charges at least.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:32 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

A person would have to provide not just their checking account number, but also their bank's routing number in order for a withdrawal to be made. He'd know if he did that or not, and should know when he did that and to whom.  It's got nothing to do with Youtube.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:59 PM
proptop

I don't think it's Youtube either...
He's not at all computer literate...he's 81 and barely knows how to turn the thing on...had to get his wife to help with the e-mail and the link, etc.

She, however does the family banking through their computer...so there's the possability of some hacking of banking info there I would say!?

Hmmmmm........
Old 04-29-2010, 06:26 PM
1320Fastback

I've read that Facespace and Mybook are thinking about charging but nothing about YouTube doing it.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:20 PM
proptop

Yeah..I read that "they" were thinking about charging..something like a "pay-per-view" but I didn't think it was actually going to happen..or not yet anyway?
I have yahoo as my home page, and I recall reading a news clip a couple-three weeks ago, that they (youtube and other places where you can watch streaming videos ) were talking about ways to increase revenue, or charge you for watching...

I think what has happened, or is happening to my friend is something (just a gut feeling here ) that is underhanded...[:'(]

I've told them to check their computer...they have family that knows about computers...I hope it gets straightened out real soon!

Old 04-29-2010, 11:57 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: proptop

I don't think it's Youtube either...
He's not at all computer literate...he's 81 and barely knows how to turn the thing on...had to get his wife to help with the e-mail and the link, etc.

She, however does the family banking through their computer...so there's the possability of some hacking of banking info there I would say!?

Hmmmmm........
The very first thing they should do is ask the bank for the details of the withdrawal. I cannot imagine any sort of hacker gaining access to an account and withdrawing a dollar. What led them to believe that the withdrawal was connected to the website you referred them to?
Old 04-30-2010, 07:55 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Personally, I think your friend might be yanking your chain for a little fun.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:49 PM
proptop

Well...the problem has been taken care of...
Apparently somewhere along the line, someone illegally got a credit card # and was "testing the waters" so to speak...it was not YouTube...
What this person did was just a small ($1.00 ) charge to see if my friend and his wife were paying attention...and if the 1 dollar charge went un-noticed, then it probably would have gotten much worse very quickly, like hundreds or thou$ands...
They cut up the credit card and are getting a new account.

Thanks guys...[8D]
Old 05-01-2010, 06:35 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Glad they caught it!

But frankly, I was hoping he was joking around with you!
Old 05-01-2010, 07:12 PM
proptop

All I can say right now P-51B is....same here!

Main reason why I asked...
Several years ago, some poor excuse for a "human being" (insert the word EXCREMENT ) took advantage of my mother...I.D. theft nightmare (to put it mildly ) that took a couple of years to try and straighten out.

I wonder about the word "conscience"...if some people have such a thing...???

Don't want to seem paranoid, but these days, maybe one can't be too careful...but when my buddy told me about what had happened, I just had a flash-back.

I will tell ya one thing though..if I could ever get my hands on the garbage that does such a thing...there would be at least one less piece of &^%$ garbage in this world.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It would be a good idea to set both of them down and explain to them among other things like 419 scams and that they don't have millions of dollars coming to them from Nigeria or any other county, NEVER to give out ANY personal information such as SSN's, passwords or banking account numbers to any unknown outfit online.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:55 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the charge came into their bank account... a credit card was not being used... It was a DEBIT card... I have talked myself blue in the face trying to tell people that credit card protections do not apply to debit cards. The only time my debit card comes out of my pocket is to put into an ATM machine. I do not use it for purchases like a credit card. I keep a rather low balance on my debit card account so that it cannot be wiped out. Have you noticed that you can use your debit card to pay in the store without entering your pin??? If your debit card is stolen, it is like a free for all until all of your account is spent... the person can spend until you run out of money or catch it. OK, so you caught the fraud, now you have to wait and wait and wait to get your money restored, if ever.

I think that debit card pins should be required on all purchases
.... that way you are protected if you don't write down your pin somewhere in your wallet. Unfortunately, the banks disagree with me...