Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

To those who saw the New RCU and had a bug of any kind read this!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

To those who saw the New RCU and had a bug of any kind read this!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 12:48 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To those who saw the New RCU and had a bug of any kind read this!

to help us debug a few things please email "[email protected]" any problems or issues you had in terms of functionality or errors on the new site. We had some speed issues we are addressing which is why we pulled the plug (you all know I'm demanding when it comes to speed!). WE are also aware of a few remaining bugs. I didn't want to have users deal with those issues so enjoy the old RCU here until we patch up the remaining issues.

thanks

marc
Old 07-23-2003, 01:00 AM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bugs

I use deet didnt have no bugs hehehe just speed

Joe
Old 07-23-2003, 01:04 AM
Johnnylightning

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will there be a clubhouse for open topic discussions?
Old 07-23-2003, 01:09 AM
mvigod
Banned

forum structure is the same as it is right now here at RCU...yes...free to post and same names, descriptions and all posts preserved.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:15 AM
Mike Wiz
My Feedback: (2)

I got to play around with it a little.....but not enough to notice any bugs. It sure looked good!

Wiz
Old 07-23-2003, 01:19 AM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

I tried to log on today, the site must have been down, I was having major withdrawl symptoms , is there a RCU patch to wear during the day when the site is down

PS: No problems to report, keep up the good work.
Joe
Old 07-23-2003, 01:24 AM
BP5589
My Feedback: (4)

Hi Marc,
I was only on for a few minutes but had a pop up saying I had a PM, but nothing new was in my PM listing. Was it just a glitch or did I lose a PM? You are doing a great job, I'm looking forward to the new RCU. It does look like some guys will need some Cheese to go with their W(h)ine, though...
Bill
Old 07-23-2003, 01:35 AM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

the only problem i had. i could'nt post a reply

dennis
Old 07-23-2003, 01:49 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Ya, speed. And are the redirect ads gonna stay? If so, I'll have to go elsewhere. Just like pop-ups to me.

Later
And good luck.

Gordo
Old 07-23-2003, 01:57 AM
Steve Guinn

Don't like the part about having to pay to stop the full page ads...oh...did somebody already mention that?
Old 07-23-2003, 02:05 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Marc:

While it was up I had no problem with it.

But Flyboy Dave and I were on the phone near the end of the run, he was having a lot of trouble.

Bill.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:06 AM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pay

Guys there are changes but i think a few ads is worth it to put up with as it pays the bills. I personally would rather go through an add or two than pay a annual fee to enjoy this great site which I would still gladly do. Marc tries hard to balance good and bad points. where else could you get all the free advice you can get from here? Local clubs usually have other guys to talk to but you are limited usually in their knowlege of certain aspects of this hobby. my club most fly funflys and some sport planes it is a lousey club to get giant or scale info from. and forget it if you was into gliders. thus on here for a few minor inconveiniences you get al all around info center with a lot of very knowledgeable ppl so pleas give marc a chance. you cant get a good or bad impression of a site you have only seen for a couple of minutes. Also read the faqs before griping a lot of that info on fees etc was covered in there. I am not starting a flame so I will not respond to any comments but it just peeves me to see marc try so hard to make a great site better and see a lot of people Whining abt it with only a couple minutes worth of viewing. Give him time to get it up and running and I am sure if there is problems they can be solved then not before its even been running properly he has enough to worry abt.

Joe
Old 07-23-2003, 02:27 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

I already posted this in another thread, but DAMN that new RCU is one un-user-friendly looking user interface!!

I like the vbulletin board look...I don't know WHAT that other thing was, but it was butt ugly and not very user friendly.

Is THAT the "great new feature" you've been talking about??

If so, where do I get my stone ax and bear skin, I'm gonna need 'em.

Another problem...My profile seems to have been imported from RCAirport, and I cannot log into the "New <gag> RCU" I sent an email to this effect, but got no response.

For the record, I think I have (one) post at RCAirport. Yet the info in my profile seems to be derived from that great database. Also, the email address I registered at RCAirport is my work address, I never use it on RCU. Yet when I tried to login with my RCU username (same as RCAirport) it kicked my password, and told me my email address was not recognized. Well, this is the only email address I have ever used at RCU.

Oh well...
Old 07-23-2003, 02:29 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Had a pop up saying I had a PM, but nothing new was in my PM listing. Did I lose a PM?
My ID changed to -RCU when the duplicate may be me from the other site, so I could have kept the original ID and password???
Old 07-23-2003, 02:29 AM
tiggerinmk

Well, I think I must've spent a good 20 mins or so trying to log on and inputting all sorts of personal junk that isn't requested here on the 'old' RCU.
Yup, I'd agree that there must've been a speed issue, it also took several log ins to persuade the site that I'd actually signed in. After trying to post I did notice that all the forums were still set to 'read only', I wanted to see if I could be the first poster on the 'new' RCU. The number of active users varied quite a lot too. Maybe everyone was having the same sign on problems as me.

The one thing that didn't seem too clear to me was the equivalent of the search options on the front page. i.e. Posts since last visit & posts in last 24 hours... I use these options all the time just to see what's new...
Old 07-23-2003, 02:34 AM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

Originally posted by BP5589
Hi Marc,
I was only on for a few minutes but had a pop up saying I had a PM, but nothing new was in my PM listing. Was it just a glitch or did I lose a PM? You are doing a great job, I'm looking forward to the new RCU. It does look like some guys will need some Cheese to go with their W(h)ine, though...
Bill
same happened to me. otherwise everything worked, but didn't like the look
Old 07-23-2003, 02:42 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Let's get the speed up and get it up and running and deal with minor bugs on the fly. I would like to get over the change and get on with whatever comes.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:44 AM
mvigod
Banned

some of the options on the top of the forum I was going to add throughout the day...last minute details..we will work out the speed and bugs that remain.

Do you guys go to ebay or amazon? Our site has fewer options and has to be at least as easy if not easier to navigate than those sites. I spent countless hours making it intuitive...give it a day or two when we launch to get accustomed to it and warm up to it before you draw a final conclusion please.

thank you.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:45 AM
RCLIVIN
My Feedback: (46)

Marc:
Will all the info like trader karma & number of postings carry over to the new site???

Gil
Old 07-23-2003, 02:57 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Gil:

Yes, and yes. Both were covered in the FAQ.

Bill.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:01 AM
Pushrod02
My Feedback: (16)

I had to try twice to log in and the speed was rather slow but hey, we're just getting off the ground here. I also had an email saying I had a Private Message and was not able to find it. As mentioned in a previous post, I also had a conflict in my Profile with my email address. I shot an email to Marc this evening, and with every thing that is going on I still had an answer in less than one hour! I don't care what you say, THAT'S SERVICE !

> Marc,
>
> It looks like there are some teething problems with the new site. I
> have an email telling me I have a new Private message but the link
> does not work,
>
> http://www.rcuniverse.com/private.php . I just get a 404 error ...
Response "...some of the private.php thing is the dns not propogated yet..."

>last week I changes my email on
> RCU. The server then emailed me a link to confirm that action which I
> did. When I logged on to the New RCU this afternoon I was sent to my
> Profile and it still had my old email address. I tried to change it
> and the system said a member already has that email address...

Response"the email thing might be your email from RC Airport which was not updated? after the merge I can fix these issues by hand when they crop up....just email me"

Well DUH, I didn't think to change it on RC Airport. MY FAULT , not RCU's problem. I changed it tonight so we'll see if it fixes itself.

Don't like the full page adds, then get off $20.04 a year. You get more out of this site than you ever will the AMA at one third the cost.

Just my $.02 worth
Old 07-23-2003, 03:23 AM
dunk-RCU

Amen................ what besides the insurance (secondary I might add) do you get... You guys all of you members are great and got me back active again.... again..... toooooo many times.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:25 AM
skier2001_69
My Feedback: (1)

no problems. kotos on the new site... not that it matters but im VERY impressed.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:54 AM
mvigod
Banned

check out a screenshot...I think it is simple to navigate...one click from the forums. 7 major buttons easy to read in the main navigation header which all have drop down menus so you can navigate directly to what you want (or just click the main button to go where you want).

One click access to the forum of your choice by the navigation OR the 6 beautiful round icons at the top of the page right under the main nav. No more wading through areas of RC that you might not be interested in.

One click access on the left to the auctions OR classifieds section. Navigation same as ebay and other common web systems use all over the place. Only 2 small tower ads on the homepage.

Many asked for "warm" colors so we chose a dark teal/green and a golden/yellow color scheme and we will bring on color themes once the core site is jamming!

Some complained about full page ads. Well Yahoo shows them on their groups eveyr 5 pages! We show them 5 times less often than that right now. Oh yeah and they are RC related and often will be special deals for RCU members geared towards YOUR noted interest! Horrible? I don't think so but if you can't bear to look at them you can upgrade and toggle the ads as stated in the FAQ.

Here is a snapshot for those who missed it.

Old 07-23-2003, 04:02 AM
mvigod
Banned

The forums are 97% identical to what we have right now. We have added some extra features like customizable forums and search by phrases and other advanced search options. You can view the forums in standard flat view like RCU is now OR do tree style like a threaded newsgroup (your choice).

New RCU is about choices and customizing to YOUR preferences and interests. As you can see from the screenshot it is clean and easy to navigate. We had the same artists and developers who develop sites for such well known entities as the NHL, NFL and Abercrombie and Finch do the art and coding. We spec'd out what users had asked for and refined the user interface and functionality over and over. The end result I will say I am proud of and I hope each of you enjoys the much needed facelift at our little home here.

Right now we are working to fix the speed issue (Not hardware related...we have 9 servers total running the site!). Some code interaction appears to have occured and we will solve it. ONce we are comfortable with it we will probably post here in RCU to have you guys bang on the site hard and play with all the features. YOu can let us know what works, what doesn't, what is intuitive, what is not intuitive so we can put the final polish on it and ensure it can take the abuse the thousands of members dish out here.

Thanks all for your patience and support.

(p.s. And closing on an RC note....I am doing nose in and forward flight now on my heli in under 15 flights! I love these things....Watch out Curtis!!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.