Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Jax Hobbies - Service Concern

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Jax Hobbies - Service Concern

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 01:11 PM
CyberPilot
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jax Hobbies - Service Concern

I just had a really bad customer service experience at Jax Hobbies (in Orange County CA). My friend Peter is just getting into the hobby and purchased a heli w/receiver from another member of my club. However, he still needed a radio and an Rx crystal. He purchased them at Jax but the crystal was on back order. John, the proprietor told him it would be a few days but it took 10! When it came in he installed it but nothing worked. He asked me to look at it and we found that it was a single conversion crystal. Peter went back to Jax and asked to return it. He reminded John that he had shown him the receiver (so he should've known) and since they didn’t have the correct one in stock, John gave him a refund. We then purchased the correct crystal at a different shop but things still didn't work. I loaned him my Spectra module (dial in any channel) and we determined that his radio was OK but the Tx module was bad. Again we went back to Jax and asked John to make it right but he refused. He told Peter that he could've helped him if he brought it back the next day but not 2 weeks later. How? The crystal was on back order! So Peter asked him if he could return the whole thing and he’d buy it elsewhere. His reply was "Get the Hell out of my store". He threw us both out!

God help you if you buy something from him and need to return or repair it.

I am recommending to everyone, Stay away from Jax Hobbies!
Old 07-24-2003, 10:11 PM
DanSavage
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Jax Hobbies - Service Concern

Originally posted by CyberPilot
I just had a really bad customer service experience at Jax Hobbies (in Orange County CA). My friend Peter is just getting into the hobby and purchased a heli w/receiver from another member of my club. However, he still needed a radio and an Rx crystal. He purchased them at Jax but the crystal was on back order. John, the proprietor told him it would be a few days but it took 10! When it came in he installed it but nothing worked. He asked me to look at it and we found that it was a single conversion crystal. Peter went back to Jax and asked to return it. He reminded John that he had shown him the receiver (so he should've known) and since they didn’t have the correct one in stock, John gave him a refund. We then purchased the correct crystal at a different shop but things still didn't work. I loaned him my Spectra module (dial in any channel) and we determined that his radio was OK but the Tx module was bad. Again we went back to Jax and asked John to make it right but he refused. He told Peter that he could've helped him if he brought it back the next day but not 2 weeks later. How? The crystal was on back order! So Peter asked him if he could return the whole thing and he’d buy it elsewhere. His reply was "Get the Hell out of my store". He threw us both out!
I use Jax all the time. Never had a problem.

It sounds like someone failed the attitude test.

Dan
Old 07-25-2003, 12:53 AM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be pissed also if I had to wait for a crystal,,, found out it didn t work, STILL and wanted a refund,,, and got refused!

Its a Damn shame when these things happen and it sounds like the shop owner doesn t care about his customers,,, he's just after the $$$

Bad Karma for JAX Hobbies :disappoin

BV
Old 07-25-2003, 12:55 PM
CyberPilot

Originally posted by DanSavage
It sounds like someone failed the attitude test.
Agreed!

I was really surprised. I used Jax for years before this happend and I've never seen him treat a customer like he did my friend. My friend never raised his voice or was threatening in anyway; he just wanted a working product or his money back so he could buy it at Hobby People and get flying.

Sometimes people have a bad day; I've had a few myself but you never treat a customer like that. The sad thing is that he hurt himself and his store more than anything. None of my friends are ever going back there again.

C.P.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:22 PM
Bak_WOODS_Hik

I dont know why ya'll listen to anyone any time they complain about stuff like this. There is always 2 sides to a story. I bet its a different story from the other side. Oh well, back to watching Hee-Haw!
Old 08-11-2003, 06:32 PM
CyberPilot

Bak_WOODS,

I understand your concern but when there is a real problem, like this one, people have a right to talk about it and a right to be informed. I don't know if you've ever been mis treated as a customer but we didn't appreciate it. There was no cause for it so we will take what ever steps we feel are appropriate for the situation. That includes warning other potential customers.

I don't know how they do it in the "Back Woods" but we just don't take a slap in the face and lay down. Would you?
Old 08-11-2003, 07:17 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Cyberpilot, You didn't indicate some important info in your original post. What brand radio? new or used equipment? Does the retail store have a policy that all electronic repairs and warranties are to be handled through the manufacturer. The retailer would probably replace the radio if it was defective at point of sale. But to return several weeks later the retailer probably sees it as a warranty issue.
I don't know of any of the major radio manufacturer that would not replace a defective TX module for a two week old radio under their warranty.
Most retail stores (and mail order stores) have a policy similiar to this as they are not repair facilities. Tower hobbies (for Futaba)and Horizon hobbies (for JR) are the exception as they are exclusive importers and are the USA repair and warranty centers.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:35 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

If you paid with CC you can dispute it I think. One of the only good points about paying the obsurdly high interest rates and membership fee.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:48 PM
CyberPilot

CCRC1,

It wasn't 'several weeks' in fact it was realistically only a day or two. Peter went to purchase the radio AND crystal but they only had the radio in stock; he had to wait 10 days for the crystal. Then it was the wrong crystal! He returned the crystal and ended up buying it from another shop (that afternoon). That was the 1st possible time to see that there was a problem and he returned to Jax the very next day in hopes of getting it resolved.

You really can't say that he waited that long (10-11 days) to return it because he didn't know there was a problem until the order was complete. Upon finding the problems he was very quick in bringing this to the attention of the store.

As far as the brand goes, it's really irrelevant. It's the poor customer service at the shop that's the issue. Even if the shop owner wanted to point out some return policy (which he didn't) he could've handled it better. Instead he decided to throw us out.

I actually had products in my hand ready to purchase too. Oh well.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:58 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Default Re: Jax Hobbies - Service Concern

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CyberPilot
[B] He told Peter that he could've helped him if he brought it back the next day but not 2 weeks later.

I am responding to what YOU said. I am not making excuses for the owners rudeness, I am trying to offer you a reason why he may have taken the position he did.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:27 PM
CyberPilot

CCRC1,

I know it's a little confusing.

Peter tried to buy all the items he needed; some of it he took on the 1st day and some was back ordered. When ALL the parts were in it was almost 2 weeks.

Peter couldn't possibly know there was a problem on day one because he had to wait until all the backordered stuff was in; at that point he tried to make it work.

Even though it was almost a couple of weeks from the original order, Peter had ALL the parts only a day or two.

I hope that makes more sense.

C.P.