RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Screwed by HobbyKing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11185350-screwed-hobbyking.html)

Propworn 12-02-2013 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 11675401)
i try to buy all american>>that way other companies dont get our money we need to keep it here

No such thing 99% of what you buy in this hobby is made off shore. All of the top of the line ARF dealers have their stuff shipped in containers from off shore. Things that often say made in the USA should be relabled to assembled in the USA from parts made off shore.

topspin 12-02-2013 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Propworn (Post 11675732)
No such thing 99% of what you buy in this hobby is made off shore. All of the top of the line ARF dealers have their stuff shipped in containers from off shore. Things that often say made in the USA should be relabled to assembled in the USA from parts made off shore.

So what? Quality is not based on what country a product is made in, it is based on the specifications layed down by the purchasing entity. I guarantee you that E-flite servos are made in China but they are built to a higher quality standard and are lot tested. The Two dollar 9 gram servos offered by HK are low quality. They do sell some good servos but not much that I can see. Where the problem is is that the cheap servos have a high failure rate where as the more expensive brands don't. The companies who sell Hitec and E-flight servos, like Horizon, know this and if you get the odd DOA servo they will send you a new one. Hobby king will not.

So it's all made in the same place but that has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the merchandise, the customer service, or with who is benefitting financially from the the sale. Go into a Honda ot Toyota dealer and you will not see any Japanese citizens working there. So is the fact that they are assembled in the US from foriegn parts a factor in their quality? In the Warranty service? In the fact that Americans are benefitting finacially from the arrangement? I don't think so.

init4fun 12-03-2013 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by topspin (Post 11675969)
So what? Quality is not based on what country a product is made in, it is based on the specifications layed down by the purchasing entity. I guarantee you that E-flite servos are made in China but they are built to a higher quality standard and are lot tested. The Two dollar 9 gram servos offered by HK are low quality. They do sell some good servos but not much that I can see. Where the problem is is that the cheap servos have a high failure rate where as the more expensive brands don't. The companies who sell Hitec and E-flight servos, like Horizon, know this and if you get the odd DOA servo they will send you a new one. Hobby king will not.

So it's all made in the same place but that has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the merchandise, the customer service, or with who is benefitting financially from the the sale. Go into a Honda ot Toyota dealer and you will not see any Japanese citizens working there. So is the fact that they are assembled in the US from foriegn parts a factor in their quality? In the Warranty service? In the fact that Americans are benefitting finacially from the arrangement? I don't think so.

Hi Toppers ,

In the few of my posts that havn't been routinely deleted , I have made the point time and again that it isn't a "China problem" , it's an "HK problem" , but that doesn't fit well with the folks whose agenda it is to keep dragging the topic OFF of HK and on to some BS smokescreen about the Chinese . I do notice certain threads seem to get downright VIGILANT topic protection , while others like this one , not so much . I wonder why that is ??? There is a reason this place has become such a ghost town , and I will be having a discussion with IB about that very subject early next week . The BS has gone on long enough and we'll see what the guys who actually OWN this site have to say about how things have been going here lately .

This post will disappear also , but that's OK , I save screen shots of EVERYTHING , and I'm sure the guys at IB will find some it it most enlightening .......

oldbassard 12-03-2013 08:14 AM

Adam

I am sorry for your dilemma, Been there and done that. I wanted to share with you what I did with my sons and what I will do with my grandson. I have been into RC's since about 1980. When I bought my sons their first RC cars, I looked at them closely and decided to go with a cheaper model of a better brand. I bought them both Team Associated cars that could be improved on and hopped up as the boys progressed with their skills. Eventually I did have to just replace the cars, but I think now you can just keep building them with quality aftermarket replacement parts as the old ones break. Sometimes the cheaper price sticker just costs more because you wind up with crapola

RCKen 12-03-2013 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by init4fun (Post 11676136)
Hi Toppers ,

In the few of my posts that havn't been routinely deleted , I have made the point time and again that it isn't a "China problem" , it's an "HK problem" , but that doesn't fit well with the folks whose agenda it is to keep dragging the topic OFF of HK and on to some BS smokescreen about the Chinese . I do notice certain threads seem to get downright VIGILANT topic protection , while others like this one , not so much . I wonder why that is ??? There is a reason this place has become such a ghost town , and I will be having a discussion with IB about that very subject early next week . The BS has gone on long enough and we'll see what the guys who actually OWN this site have to say about how things have been going here lately .

This post will disappear also , but that's OK , I save screen shots of EVERYTHING , and I'm sure the guys at IB will find some it it most enlightening .......

If your post was removed it was for one of two reasons. 1) Because you were insulting or attacking other members of this thread, or 2) because your post was a reply to another post that was removed. It is routine for us to remove replies to posts that are deleted in order to keep the thread tidy and making sense. Please don't try to accuse me, or any of my Moderators, of removing posts for any other reason as it's simply not true. RCU does not have any "agendas" that dictate out moderation and we don't moderate because of who advertises here on RCU. I can assure you that if the owners of RCU ever told me that I had to back an agenda, or moderate based on who advertises with us, I would quit this job on the spot. My moderation of the forums on RCU is based on only one thing, and that is the RCU Community Rules. Nothing else comes into play when I take actions in a thread.

I do notice certain threads seem to get downright VIGILANT topic protection
You are correct in one sense with this statement, some topics do get protected to make sure that they stay in the forums. Many times threads that get extra protection are threads such as this one where people are trying to put out information about company or entity that is doing something wrong. Another good example from earlier this year was the Fly Eagle Jet threads running in the Jet Forums. Members were trying to put out information about possible defects in a product and those threads got to the same point that many Hobby King threads get where members are attacking each other. But instead of closing those threads we take the extra effort required to clean up the thread and keep it open. Why do we put in the extra work?? Simple, because the hobby public needs to know if a company isn't doing something correctly. It's just that simple. We do it to help our members so that they can information about what is going on. And this is going to happen whether a company advertises on RCU or not. In fact, we have had advertisers "tell" us we need to delete negative posts because they advertise with us and will pull that advertising. And when that has happened in the past we have told those companies that we do NOT moderate based on advertising dollars. End of story.

You don't have to "save screen shots of EVERYTHING" because the Administrators of RCU/IB can view every post that has ever been made as well as any editing that has taken place a thread. As far as contacting IB about this thread I can also assure you that IB takes a very active role in RCU and they are monitoring what goes on here in these forums. Nobody on RCU, including myself, works here without some sort of supervision or checking to make sure they are doing their jobs correctly. The Moderators are checked on by the Community Moderators/Adminisrators/IB Staff, The Community Moderators are checked on by Administrators/IB Staff, and myself and the other Administrators are checked on by IB Staff. So the notion that someone is running rogue and moderating to some agenda simply doesn't fly here as there are just too many people that watch what is going on as they perform their roles here on RCU. I'm going to point your post to our contacts at IB so that they can answer here to address your concerns.

Ken

Propworn 12-03-2013 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by topspin (Post 11675969)

Your point being???? Read the quote in my post slowly since you didn't get it first time around!!!!:confused: It was in reply to the posters claim that “I try to buy all American" not about buying from American suppliers. Unfortunately the term "Made in America" seems to be going the way of the dinosaur. Warrantee on RC stuff tends to be hit and miss divided equally between the supplier and the retailer. A higher priced or better quality item does not necessarily guarantee good after sale support,

Dennis

init4fun 12-03-2013 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by RCKen (Post 11676226)
If your post was removed it was for one of two reasons. 1) Because you were insulting or attacking other members of this thread, or 2) because your post was a reply to another post that was removed. It is routine for us to remove replies to posts that are deleted in order to keep the thread tidy and making sense. Please don't try to accuse me, or any of my Moderators, of removing posts for any other reason as it's simply not true. RCU does not have any "agendas" that dictate out moderation and we don't moderate because of who advertises here on RCU. I can assure you that if the owners of RCU ever told me that I had to back an agenda, or moderate based on who advertises with us, I would quit this job on the spot. My moderation of the forums on RCU is based on only one thing, and that is the RCU Community Rules. Nothing else comes into play when I take actions in a thread.

You are correct in one sense with this statement, some topics do get protected to make sure that they stay in the forums. Many times threads that get extra protection are threads such as this one where people are trying to put out information about company or entity that is doing something wrong. Another good example from earlier this year was the Fly Eagle Jet threads running in the Jet Forums. Members were trying to put out information about possible defects in a product and those threads got to the same point that many Hobby King threads get where members are attacking each other. But instead of closing those threads we take the extra effort required to clean up the thread and keep it open. Why do we put in the extra work?? Simple, because the hobby public needs to know if a company isn't doing something correctly. It's just that simple. We do it to help our members so that they can information about what is going on. And this is going to happen whether a company advertises on RCU or not. In fact, we have had advertisers "tell" us we need to delete negative posts because they advertise with us and will pull that advertising. And when that has happened in the past we have told those companies that we do NOT moderate based on advertising dollars. End of story.

You don't have to "save screen shots of EVERYTHING" because the Administrators of RCU/IB can view every post that has ever been made as well as any editing that has taken place a thread. As far as contacting IB about this thread I can also assure you that IB takes a very active role in RCU and they are monitoring what goes on here in these forums. Nobody on RCU, including myself, works here without some sort of supervision or checking to make sure they are doing their jobs correctly. The Moderators are checked on by the Community Moderators/Adminisrators/IB Staff, The Community Moderators are checked on by Administrators/IB Staff, and myself and the other Administrators are checked on by IB Staff. So the notion that someone is running rogue and moderating to some agenda simply doesn't fly here as there are just too many people that watch what is going on as they perform their roles here on RCU. I'm going to point your post to our contacts at IB so that they can answer here to address your concerns.

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thank You for taking the time to respond . I'm sorry to say that I most certainly do NOT accept your assertion that all moderation here is fair and a very simple , blatant case of which I speak can be found here ;

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/club...arge-here.html

In this thread , we have a very popular MODERATOR of RCU issuing a personal attack against a member's intelligence , you will find this on post #12 , and mentioned in post #17

Could you please explain how it is that Jim's personal attack is OK because he is a nice guy and init4fun's personal attack is pure forum taboo , just cause nasty ol init4fun ain't quite as popular as Jim is ?

It is screen shots of M A N Y of these inconsistent moderation "rulings" that I have sent them , and there is flat out no denying that my example proves my point perfectly , moderation here really is based upon the poster rather than the post !

I asked 3 days ago through the reporting system here how it is that a member can be allowed to troll the board with a nice , big , in capitals , " HOBBYKING " listed as his location in his avatar and was , of course , ignored (and thus the basis for MY avatar , a situation I ALSO described to IB corporate) . Will you try to tell me that a location listed as HOBBYKING by a poster who is known for personally attacking unhappy HK customers really ISN'T trolling ?

What you say sounds really nice , , and I wish things at RCU really were the way you describe . The evidence , however , seems to be backing MY view of how things actually are

bchapman 12-03-2013 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by john43055 (Post 11675496)
Hi, can anyone tell me about HK 1800mm beaver? What i have seen on youtube, etc. tells me its convertible to nitro. However reading these posts I am leary. Couple guys in our club have their electric J3, and it does fly good. have been curious abouth this beaver , 70" span.
thanks

That Beaver looks good in the pictures, but it's made for electric power, not the vibration of nitro. I've never had an ARF of any brand that had good glue joints, let alone one from Hobby King, which is as cheap as you get. That being said, It probably will fly OK if properly balanced. That is until either the motor parts company with the fuselage or the wing or tail falls off!

You're probably not going to get an objective opinion on the "Screwed by Hobby King" thread. Just saying...

IBobi 12-03-2013 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by init4fun (Post 11676136)
Hi Toppers ,

Hello,

I can assure you that we do in fact keep tabs on the forums, that the moderators (who volunteer their time for this community) have no connection whatsoever to our advertisers, and that Ken and his team have the full confidence and support of the RCU home office.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

Best,

Paul
Community Manager
RCU

init4fun 12-03-2013 12:00 PM

remove post

init4fun 12-03-2013 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by bchapman (Post 11676281)
That Beaver looks good in the pictures, but it's made for electric power, not the vibration of nitro. I've never had an ARF of any brand that had good glue joints, let alone one from Hobby King, which is as cheap as you get. That being said, It probably will fly OK if properly balanced. That is until either the motor parts company with the fuselage or the wing or tail falls off!

You're probably not going to get an objective opinion on the "Screwed by Hobby King" thread. Just saying...

Bchapman has given great advice here . I will not bag on HK here because my response would be the same no matter whose ARF we are talking about . It isn't just the matter of how much glue , it's the matter that a plane designed electric only is gonna have a lighter constructed motor mount area than one built for an engine , I have seen this in every "EP" version of ARF I have had . Just look at the difference in wood thickness , and amount , and you'll quickly see why going glow on an "EP only" model would be a mistake .

RCKen 12-03-2013 02:42 PM

Understand that this will be the last post on this issue here in this thread. I will answer you, and then any further posts about this will be removed BECAUSE THEY ARE OFF TOPIC FOR THIS THREAD, nothing more. If you wish to respond to my post then please do so by PM, but this thread will not be taken any further off topic because of this issue.

Originally Posted by init4fun (Post 11676274)
Hi Ken,

Thank You for taking the time to respond . I'm sorry to say that I most certainly do NOT accept your assertion that all moderation here is fair and a very simple , blatant case of which I speak can be found here ;

www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11590140-who-charge-here.html

In this thread , we have a very popular MODERATOR of RCU issuing a personal attack against a member's intelligence , you will find this on post #12 , and mentioned in post #17

Could you please explain how it is that Jim's personal attack is OK because he is a nice guy and init4fun's personal attack is pure forum taboo , just cause nasty ol init4fun ain't quite as popular as Jim is ?

It is screen shots of M A N Y of these inconsistent moderation "rulings" that I have sent them , and there is flat out no denying that my example proves my point perfectly , moderation here really is based upon the poster rather than the post !

Jim did not "get away" with his post in any form or fashion. I have spoken with Jim about his post and he fully admitted that what he posted was wrong and he should not have done it. I have removed the post in question. So to answer you question in the shortest and easiest manner, I have taken Moderator actions on my Moderator. He has to follow the exact same rules that everybody else on RCU does, and to be totally honest, he is held to a bit higher standard because his is a moderator. Now, in defense I will repeat what I said on the other thread, Jim was having a bad day when he posted that. Now I challenge anybody on this forum to tell me that they've never had a bad day and said something they regretted. I know I have, and I don't deny it. Just means that we're human.

Jim is still fairly new as a moderator as he's only been doing it less than 6 months now. So I do cut him a bit of slack as he's still learning the ropes. Being a Moderator is not an easy position to hold as there are all type that want to take any excuse to attack them and criticize the job they do. Jim knows the mistake he made, the post has been removed, and the mess has been cleaned up. I'm happy with how it stands now as it's all been taken care of.

Originally Posted by init4fun (Post 11676274)
I asked 3 days ago through the reporting system here how it is that a member can be allowed to troll the board with a nice , big , in capitals , " HOBBYKING " listed as his location in his avatar and was , of course , ignored (and thus the basis for MY avatar , a situation I ALSO described to IB corporate) . Will you try to tell me that a location listed as HOBBYKING by a poster who is known for personally attacking unhappy HK customers really ISN'T trolling ?

What you say sounds really nice , , and I wish things at RCU really were the way you describe . The evidence , however , seems to be backing MY view of how things actually are

I was the one that worked the ticket that you opened about what a member has in his location. I addressed it all in my reply to you, but will repeat it here just so you can understand what is going on. I have already said numerous times that every action we do is based on the RCU Community Rules. I challenge you to tell me what rule he violated by what he posted as his location. So he put HOBBYKING in as his location. So what if he did??? Many members put a lot of different things in there locations. Some list Never Never Land, some list Graceland, and some even list Disneyland. There is no rule that states that a member has to put an actual location in his info box. And even if there was a rule that stated that, who's going to enforce it?? I'm not, that's for sure. How about make a rule saying that people can't list their location as HobbyKing? Then we can make a rule saying that people can't list Massachusetts as their location. Then we can say they can't list their location as being in the US. Then we can forbid anybody from saying the words "Hobby King". Then we can ban the words "Futaba", "JR","Tower Hobbies", "Horizon Hobby", etc.....

He use of the words "HobbyKing" as his location doesn't violate any rules and I'm certainly not going to take any actions against him over this. That starts a slippery slope of heavy handed moderation that RC Groups is famous for, and I'm not going down that road.

As I said at the top if this post, I have addressed your concerns and there will be no further conversation about his in THIS THREAD. If you want to continue to discuss it by all means I'll be more than happy to do so, but not here in this thread. You can PM, or we can start a new thread dedicated to this issue, but we're not going to continue in this thread. So please take this as notification that any further off topic posts in this thread will be deleted, and they will be removed because they are off topic for this thread.

Hope this helps.

Ken

happycamper 12-03-2013 07:59 PM

Long time lurker and first post. I don't use Hobby Kings. I tried them and was unsatisfied so I quit using them. End of story It makes no sense why people develop a monomaniacal obsession about them posting hundreds of messages all over the internet. It like Ahab who can't let go of his hatred for the white whale. There are plenty of worthwhile things to fight for but is a Chinese toy shop one of them? I am talking to both sides here. The lovers and the haters.

raptureboy 12-04-2013 06:12 AM

Best reply on the whole thread. Now you can close it Ken.

Originally Posted by happycamper (Post 11676690)
Long time lurker and first post. I don't use Hobby Kings. I tried them and was unsatisfied so I quit using them. End of story It makes no sense why people develop a monomaniacal obsession about them posting hundreds of messages all over the internet. It like Ahab who can't let go of his hatred for the white whale. There are plenty of worthwhile things to fight for but is a Chinese toy shop one of them? I am talking to both sides here. The lovers and the haters.

Luchnia 12-04-2013 09:02 AM

I only buy a few orders from HK. I am very dilligent and know what I am willing to spend with HK. One of the things that came up on the thread was buy US from US hobby shops. Since we believe in keeping the money here in the US, would we not hold the local hobby shop to the same purchasing standard? Isn't it a comprimise if we don't? I think we know the answer to the first question is a resounding "NO" because if we did there would be little to no stock in the store because most of it is from foreign lands.

I remember very well when "foreign" cars crossed over to the states. it was a sensitive time, but we adapted and yet many of us were die-hard US built. We paid the price because the foreign cars in time became better than what we built. I know there are arguments here, this is just an opinion from experience.

All have not gotten a bad deal with HK, however I have only had about five or so orders over the last two years. I simpy do not buy things from them that are high risk items as I know I stand a greater chance of losing money. That is the same philosophy I have with any purchases.

Take RC engines for example. I prefer to buy them from those that I know will solidly stand behind them as I don't have time to chase down those that provide poor service levels. The same goes with planes. I do try to buy the cheapest I can that at least does offer what I need in the line of service. Batteries from HK on the other hand are well worth it from what I have seen. HK is a great and very cost effective resource for many items if we just shop wisely.

StangFlyer 12-04-2013 09:28 AM

Hmmm..... so I felt the need to add to this thread in hopes of helping others to understand and possibly eliminate any frustration (or expense) due to a very poor supplier of rc products and customer support. I can only speak of my personal experience and would advise others to take heed to the numerous posts of others that have dealt with the same type of issue. First a little personal back ground information: I myself have been involved, (in one way or another) in radio controlled vehicles for nearly 40 years. And most predominately flying rc aircraft of numerous various sizes since the early '90's. So I am "NO" newbie to all this and though I absolutely do not know everything, I do have some knowledge as to how things should be. I have ordered many planes, parts and accessories from numerous vendors such as Horizon Hobby, Tower Hobby, Omni Models, Graves RC, SWB Mfg., Smart Fly, Chief Aircraft, Troy Built Models, Power Hobby, Great Planes, and actually, the list is so endless. I have seen many faults with products, services and customer support. I have also experienced some very good. Generally speaking, if a company is a reputable source, paying the little extra sure pays off in the long run. I have had companies, namely HORIZON HOBBY go so "WAY" above and beyond the call of duty...they have actually replaced complete kits for me. Others, have simply sent out replacement products and "NO" cost and had me do "WHATEVER" I wanted with the faulty item. Then with others, it is like pulling teeth to get a straight answer. Namely, "HOBBY KING". As with all things, we learn as we grow and experience. In our society that is so totally dependent upon the internet in our everyday lives, we find more and more available products that are offered at fair prices for the item in which we seek. The unfortunate thing is this, that due to the cost of producing a product, marketing it and then servicing it after the sale has become so expensive, that there are numerous companies that spring up over night to "Get in on the gravy train". And it is those companies that are making it tough for all of us trying to get a "quality" product for a fair price, as they have no concern with anything "EXCEPT" taking our money. It really all boils down to one very prevalent thought to keep in mind. "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR". There is a reason that Horizon Hobby, Tower Hobby, Graves RC....and soooo many others are a little more expensive. They "TAKE CARE" of their customers "AFTER" the sell. There is a reason HOBBY KING is dirt cheap. They sell faulty items, hide behind excuses, rely on poor customer service, and blame "US", the end user for "ALL" the problems with the crappy stuff they sell. From my personal experience with HK and other vendors, my choice is clear... Spend a little bit more and get what goes with the sell. Not just the item, but the customer service as well. For all those vendors that I mentioned earlier, "TWO THUMBS" up. For HOBBY KING on the other hand, make us all happy and slide off into the ocean and sink!!!!

ghostofpf1 12-04-2013 09:47 AM

All that typing and you never mentioned the specific problem you had with "HOBBYKING" ???
well over 130 succesful orders for me makes me wonder what those few of you did in a previous life to be treated so badly in this one.
ghost

JollyPopper 12-04-2013 09:52 AM

Now StangFlyer, tell us how you really feel.:rolleyes:

init4fun 12-04-2013 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by ghostofpf1 (Post 11677046)
All that typing and you never mentioned the specific problem you had with "HOBBYKING" ???
well over 130 succesful orders for me makes me wonder what those few of you did in a previous life to be treated so badly in this one.
ghost

I don't think anyone has done anything in their previous lives to precipitate having bad luck with HK nor any other retailer , I think it's more a simple case of luck , be it bad luck on some's part or good luck on others . Thank You though , for that enlightening post about how someone's past life behavior somehow correlates to present life toy delivery regularity , I have not had much to LOL about here lately

[email protected] 12-04-2013 10:24 AM

what is wrong with people in the usa cant they make american things>> i know that we get most things from overseas from our hobby shops here i just dont know what to say

StangFlyer 12-04-2013 10:45 AM

Well Ghost, it seems that my simple intention to warn was not sufficient, so here are precisely my "experiences" with Hobby King.
Experience #1: Turnigy 52cc Overbore gas engine. Out of the box, seemed ok. However never did run as expected. And actually really unreliable and weak on horsepower for its size. Resolution: HK wouldn't do anything to make it right. Yanked motor and sold it.
Experience #2: RCG 50cc gas engine: Bent fins on cylinder out of the box. Not from shipping as one could easily note from packing, (which was done very well), However engine runs "VERY" well, and actually as good or better than most DLE and DA engines I have seen. Resolution: Hobby King would replace it, if they had it in stock, but wanted me to send back at "MY" expense and wait three, four, five or whatever months until they have another in stock. Decided to fly it.
Experience #3: RCG 30cc gas engine. Straight out of the box, bent fins on cylinder. Resolution: Same as #2. Ship back at "MY" expense, will replace when they have in stock.
Experience #4: 50cc Pitts Style muffler. Bent stack out of box. Again. packed very well....bent before even being put in box. Resolution, HK says.... take pictures, send back at, you guessed it, "MY" expense and they will have company look at it. "IF" they decide it was their fault, they will replace.
Exerience #5: Ordered another RCG 50cc gas engine as the first one run very well. Ordered Aug. 26 2013. Waited 30 days as come to find out, web info incorrect. OUT OF STOCK. Resolution: Attempted customer support only to find out another 30 days. After two months of waiting, chose to purchase a DLE 55cc. Asked for refund from HK. Had to wait 7 weeks for refund. Something not right here. They take your money in seconds, but it takes 7 weeks to return it?
Experience #6: Unfortunately, I, "ME" stripped the threads on the exhaust port of my RCG 50cc cylinder. My fault... Ordered a replacement cylinder. Cylinder arrived.... You guessed it. MULTIPLE bent fins. Resolution: Not even going to bother attempting to contact HK. I have learned from past experience. Waste of time.
It is nice that you have had 130 purchases with no problems. For me and my previous experiences, I am satisfied going elsewhere.
Experience #7: 26cc gas engine: Missing....totally NOT even installed, crankcase bolt. Resolution: Contacted HK. They would replace at "MY" shipping expense with another engine. UGH!!!
Plain and simple truth is this. They "SAY" they will help to make it right. But always to the customers expense in one way or another. As with "ANYONE" else I have dealt with, they step up to the plate and make it right at "THEIR" expense.
'Nough said!!!
HK? NEVER AGAIN!!!

init4fun 12-04-2013 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by StangFlyer (Post 11677104)
Well Ghost, it seems that my simple intention to warn was not sufficient, so here are precisely my "experiences" with Hobby King.
Experience #1: Turnigy 52cc Overbore gas engine. Out of the box, seemed ok. However never did run as expected. And actually really unreliable and weak on horsepower for its size. Resolution: HK wouldn't do anything to make it right. Yanked motor and sold it.
Experience #2: RCG 50cc gas engine: Bent fins on cylinder out of the box. Not from shipping as one could easily note from packing, (which was done very well), However engine runs "VERY" well, and actually as good or better than most DLE and DA engines I have seen. Resolution: Hobby King would replace it, if they had it in stock, but wanted me to send back at "MY" expense and wait three, four, five or whatever months until they have another in stock. Decided to fly it.
Experience #3: RCG 30cc gas engine. Straight out of the box, bent fins on cylinder. Resolution: Same as #2. Ship back at "MY" expense, will replace when they have in stock.
Experience #4: 50cc Pitts Style muffler. Bent stack out of box. Again. packed very well....bent before even being put in box. Resolution, HK says.... take pictures, send back at, you guessed it, "MY" expense and they will have company look at it. "IF" they decide it was their fault, they will replace.
Exerience #5: Ordered another RCG 50cc gas engine as the first one run very well. Ordered Aug. 26 2013. Waited 30 days as come to find out, web info incorrect. OUT OF STOCK. Resolution: Attempted customer support only to find out another 30 days. After two months of waiting, chose to purchase a DLE 55cc. Asked for refund from HK. Had to wait 7 weeks for refund. Something not right here. They take your money in seconds, but it takes 7 weeks to return it?
Experience #6: Unfortunately, I, "ME" stripped the threads on the exhaust port of my RCG 50cc cylinder. My fault... Ordered a replacement cylinder. Cylinder arrived.... You guessed it. MULTIPLE bent fins. Resolution: Not even going to bother attempting to contact HK. I have learned from past experience. Waste of time.
It is nice that you have had 130 purchases with no problems. For me and my previous experiences, I am satisfied going elsewhere.
Experience #7: 26cc gas engine: Missing....totally NOT even installed, crankcase bolt. Resolution: Contacted HK. They would replace at "MY" shipping expense with another engine. UGH!!!
Plain and simple truth is this. They "SAY" they will help to make it right. But always to the customers expense in one way or another. As with "ANYONE" else I have dealt with, they step up to the plate and make it right at "THEIR" expense.
'Nough said!!!
HK? NEVER AGAIN!!!

Hi Stangflyer ,

I have read and have sympathy for your dealings with HK . Yes , your warning is timely , appreciated , and will hopefully help some future reader of this thread avoid making the same mistake of ordering from HK . Just a friendly piece of advice , do NOT respond to folk's loaded questions like the question asked of you from the member you responded to . Certain members cruise the HK threads looking for already upset folks to wind up further , just to attempt to discredit the unhappy customer's complaint . The idea here is to rile you SO badly that you lash out in anger and thus be labeled the "bad guy" or the "problem poster" , Gee , if you respond with such anger it MUST be you and not HK at fault . right ? Some believe these folks are actually company employees of HK who get paid to attempt "damage control" to HK's on line reputation and some believe they are just in it for the "thrill" of kicking a fellow RCer when they;re down . I'm not going to provide my opinion of which is which here as my "opinions" will not help you get any recourse from a company with non existent customer service . Remember , NO ONE posts on line to this website claiming to be an HK company rep ! This means that any of these folk's "helpful questions" are actually just fishing expidetions in the hopes of hearing just enough of your story to try to twist your meanings and discredit you . Ever wonder why such DRAMA never seems to surround the business dealings of either Hobbico or Horizon ? Because THEY have THEIR company reps proudly wear their company name in their every post , as it should be . They would rather put the money into having TRULY satisfied customers rather than paying for after the fact damage control by a cadre of faceless paid forum "hit men"

Thank You for reading , and Happy Flying ...

mattnew 12-04-2013 11:15 AM

How to buy from hobby king:

1. figure out what you want to buy
2. research other people's reviews of said item
3. research other people's reviews of said item
4. research other people's reviews of said item
5. if reviews are 99% good ( for example turnigy plush ESC's have very positive reviews ) and you can stomach the $$ if they don't work…… Buy it ( my example typically is $10 - $15 bucks.. not the end of the world if I get a bad one )
if you can't stomach the money if they don't work …… don't buy it, find it someplace else, you may pay more but your more likely to be happier long term.
if they have bad reviews, the money doesn't matter, stay away.

mattnew 12-04-2013 11:20 AM

just to add a 2nd comment:

Things should be different, its a bit disappointing the number of threads like this due to HobbyKing's customer support. 99% of the time I find someplace else to get what I want, but when I do shop there its with the realization that threads like this exist for a reason...

Luchnia 12-04-2013 12:21 PM

This is why I don't buy engines from them, but buy other items that are worthwhile for me. I believe their engines are the ones often discarded from the the QC checks at the manufacturer. I have even gotten some great deals on servos and have run them for three years now. Got to be savy and shrewd with HK. :D