RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Is Flying FPV Over a Neighborhood OK? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11265722-flying-fpv-over-neighborhood-ok.html)

Luchnia 10-19-2012 02:59 AM

RE: Is Flying FPV Over a Neighborhood OK?

ORIGINAL: topspin

Lets see what the general consensus is about flying FPV over a populated area either day or night.

Please vote and provide your thoughs on topic please.

You poll states: Is Flying FPV Over a Neighborhood OK?

There are more variables here than one could shake a stick at. Populated areas can be rural population or city populations and still be considered populated areas depending on geographical layout. This has so much to do with the type of neighborhood as well. With that you won't get a decent consensus because the consensus will be based on what perception?

For me I would not desire anyone fly over my home with an FPV, yet if I know the intent that could change. For instance if someone in the neighborhood was doing research with FPVs and wanted to fly over the neighborhood to perform test. I would vote yes. See the problems?

Luchnia 10-19-2012 03:08 AM

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

Another thought I've been having with this topic is my other hobby of shooting. I could build a suitable backstop in my backyard (1/3 acre lot in a suburb) and shoot my .45 at it. To do so would be perfectly safe because I'm a good enough shooter to hit the target every time and I would regularly inspect the backstop for wear so there would be no danger from shoot throughs. Any neighbor who was alarmed by it would be responding to danger that doesn't exist, a nervous nellie so to speak. Yet, if I did that even here the great pro-gun state of Texas, the sirens would approach in record time and my practice session would be rudely cut short. Why? Not because I have hurt anyone or endangered anyone, but because I have made people feel unsafe. And chances are it would make the news, and chances are some pinko left wing organization would use it to lobby congress to pass new restrictions on guns and may actually succeed. All of that not because anyone was hurt or endangered, but because a shooter represented shooters badly and acted irresponsibly.
You bring up something that hit a thought or two with me. My neighbor is a hunter/outdoorsman. He shoots his arrows at targets often. This makes for a great comparison. Some would say, "You cannot compare that" and to that I would reply with a heartily YES I can and do. I even have one neighbor who target practices with pistols and I believe is careless and reckless and he bothers me as some neighbors have kids around here. A huge concern to me. Partying and pistols don't go together.

Back to the bow and arrow thoughts. Which is more dangerous to me as a neighbor, light FPVs or target arrows that could go astray? Target arrows are much more dangerous to me. Yet, for the sake of argument, I certainly want my neighbor to get his bow and arrow practice in and I would not say a word about it. I respect his rights. In our area he is not breaking any law nor would an FPV flying over my house.

I am much like you in that I would probably not shoot arrows because of respect for my neighbor, but what I would do is go over and ask him if it is ok. If he hesitates at all then I would find somewhere else to shoot arrows. This has so much to do with how you treat your neighbors much more than anything in my book.

RiverLarry 10-19-2012 03:52 AM

1 shot 1 kill    sounds about rite to ME      R/L

U people in the UK  have some  crazy gun Laws    

jester_s1 10-19-2012 06:53 AM

That's a great example Luchnia. You may not be in any danger at all, but your neighbor is not representing the bowhunter crowd well at all.

topspin 10-19-2012 07:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

ORIGINAL: topspin

Lets see what the general consensus is about flying FPV over a populated area either day or night.

Please vote and provide your thoughs on topic please.

You poll states: Is Flying FPV Over a Neighborhood OK?

There are more variables here than one could shake a stick at. Populated areas can be rural population or city populations and still be considered populated areas depending on geographical layout. This has so much to do with the type of neighborhood as well. With that you won't get a decent consensus because the consensus will be based on what perception?

For me I would not desire anyone fly over my home with an FPV, yet if I know the intent that could change. For instance if someone in the neighborhood was doing research with FPVs and wanted to fly over the neighborhood to perform test. I would vote yes. See the problems?

No I don't see any problems here at all. I was not addressing any variables but asking a very straight forward question, one which you have answered no. You can't place a spin on the question because there simply is no spin.

JollyPopper 10-19-2012 08:26 AM

I don't see a problem with the way the poll was worded. Why complicate it? Either you believe it is ok to overfly folks or you don't.

Our flying group is a very loose bunch. This is ARKANSAS, for God's sake. The ONLY thing that upsets us is someone who overflies the group. Otherwise, go for it. And we are aware that there are potentially dangerous aircraft buzzing around us. The people in the neighborhood this guy is overflying probably have no clue that there are aircraft in the air no matter how much he wants us to believe otherwise.

Another question. If this guy is so without blame why is he keeping it a secret where he is flying from? His profile is Olfen, Tx., but that is not where he is flying from. Where is it? He's so proud of what he is doing, I would think he would welcome an audience.

brandon429 10-19-2012 08:35 AM

My first post was deleted here but apparently the standard of posting things off poll topic got relaxed kinda fast (where does he live, nra, qualification statements) :)

I don't want people in my city purposefully trying to down my flight with either video or tx interference...aka ama lynch mob

Don't ask questions about me in a thread where I'll just be censored, post in mine. This is a double standard safe zone, post in my thread if you want to ask me something where we review double standards, ur band of brothers can't answer for me here. I voted yes in this poll once...there are 22 other read between the lines flyers wow. So, reply to this thread here where i won't be back and your logic is sure to prevail! This reminds me of that scene in titanic where they retire to the lounge to back pat and chew on cigars in exclusion from the dirty third class

Matt, ask in my thread its been stated on every page.

mr_matt 10-19-2012 08:46 AM

ORIGINAL: brandon429
This is a double standard safe zone, post in my thread if you want to ask me something where we review double standards

What double standard, you lost me?

init4fun 10-19-2012 09:28 AM

ORIGINAL: brandon429...aka ama lynch mob.........

[:@] To most who seem to post here , the AMA is nothing more than an insurance company to cover their butt in case something bad happens . To others , it's a means to further aircraft modeling in ALL of it's forms , FPV presently included . Now , just because YOU are too immature to want to follow an established set of safety guidelines , well that's not the AMA's problem ! You talk like an uneducated kid when you say stuff like I just quoted , trying to make it an "FPV vs AMA" battle . It's not ANY bad on the AMA if you choose to ignore what's currently accepted as safe normal practice , it's bad on you ! And it will be you , and not the AMA , who will answer to any possible damages that may happen during your flying outside of the established norms . Rail all ya want about the "Big Bad AMA" , cause THEY have all their "ducks in a row" if an incident happens . Do You ?

You are doing your fellow FPVers great harm with your "I'll do as I please" attitude , and if in the future the AMA DOES take steps to distance itself from FPV , even safe FPV as flown under document #550 , it WILL be the fault of people like yourself , who just can't seem to follow the same good sense practices that every other #550 FPVer seems ok following . When ya got over 80% of people in the hobby against ya , how many NON flyers in your neighborhood do ya think are gonna be happy with your flights ? I'll bet it'll run just about 100% AGAINST ....

Now it's your turn for some smart assed comment to try to justify your (completely wrong) position . Waste all the words ya want , but even if ya write a flippin NOVEL you will still be wrong ;)

Hemikiller 10-19-2012 10:38 AM

ORIGINAL: init4fun

You are doing your fellow FPVers great harm with your ''I'll do as I please'' attitude

Far too many people in this world can't see beyond the end of their nose to realize the consequences of their actions upon others, never mind themselves.

raptureboy 10-19-2012 11:08 AM

Most likely will be violating a law for discharge of a firearm within city limits and then getting fined and then sued for destroying private property by the FPV'r and then... When I was a kid we used to fly our control lines in the street in suburbia in the intersection in front of our house, and when a car came by we just flew high until the car passed by. No laws against it and even the cops didn't mind. Some people even stopped to watch.Was itthe smartest thing to do? Probably not, but people were just a little more tolerant then.Oh for the days when people were civil and worked out their differences.

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

Maybe my space ends at my nose, but that still won't stop me from shooting down an FPV (or a regular RC plane) that is not sanctioned by the authorities.

mr_matt 10-19-2012 12:29 PM

I do hope anyone flying over homes on purpose has some private insurance because if you are expecting AMA coverage they might not have it.

One of the only documented cases of AMA insurance refusing to pay for liability was a guy flying into a blimp on purpose (key phrase "on purpose")

I am not sure how an FPVer would fare, but by publicly acknowledging that they understand the AMA rules and then choosing to reject them…ah well they might want to check with their insurance guy!

prop wash 10-19-2012 01:27 PM

NO!
Tom

KaP2011 10-19-2012 01:45 PM

Not only is it not ok to FPV planes over people or houses, it is not ok to fly any hobby type R/C planes over people or houses. Futhermore, I do not personaly know any R/C pilots who would think otherwise.

brandon429 10-19-2012 02:02 PM

those who purchased air hogs for their kids to fly around the house?

mike31 10-19-2012 02:04 PM

All depends how much you want to pay for any damages or injuries. You do have your name and or AMA number in the plane, correct?

brandon429 10-19-2012 02:17 PM

you guys have really got to come to me thread

you can get all mad and stuff there, maybe we can forge an understanding, Im on a 10% streak now come try to lower it.

As I watch this poll Im seeing a lot of q's statements only I can answer so I pop in from time to time

I have my callsign on the plane and phone number

no ama insurance, details as to why are in the big garage launch thread.

Use this poll to give your answer

I'll answer personal q's and assessments over there. I'm not thumbing anyone.

flyinwalenda 10-19-2012 03:11 PM

He is thumbing his nose at AMA and those who belong to it and /or abide by their guidelines. Read the other thread and see for yourself. 
I see more comments here from the majority who say NO than from the minority who say YES. I'd like to read  the responses of why those who voted YES think it's OK. ......besides Brandon.

dreamwever 10-19-2012 03:24 PM

flying over somones house or apparment  is asking for trouble should never be done. I don't beleve the AMA  will say ok.</p>

Airplanes400 10-19-2012 04:59 PM

I don't think flying over populated areas is a good idea. Rather, it's a dumb idea.

First, go to a flying field ... that's what flying fields are for.

Secondly, I'm sure it's a violation of community laws/regulations, and falls under statues regarding endangerment and nuisanses to the community. The local police dept will investigate any instances when the toy plane crashes. The owner will be arrested for reckless endangerment when that plane comes down on a busy street and causes public damage or injuries.

Thirdly, the local media will have a field day with this story, and make the operator of that aircraft look like a big jerk for even having thought of doing such a thing. The basic question will be, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!!?

The local DA may prosecute, and now you are looking a criminal charges and spending a year or two in jail.

Plus, you will get sued by the person you injured or caused property damage to.

Your life will be ruined ... all because you wanted to fly your toy plane over your neighborhood. (This situation will make you look like a bigger jerk if you attempted this at night!)
You would be much better off (and safer) if you just stay home and drink.

Mabye a ten year old would attempt such a thing because they may not have developed cognative reasoning. But if an adult did this, it would be reckless behavior.

Flying FPV over a neighborhood is just asking for trouble ... Like texting while driving intoxicated.

STRAFEDOG 10-19-2012 05:29 PM

<font size="5">NO</font>  <div>
</div><div>Please don't feed the TROLL [&amp;:]</div>

bruceal 10-19-2012 05:39 PM

If someone doesn't know that flying over people isn't a good idea,where is their common sense? With the FAA looking at our hobby as it is,this is something that we do not need. I personally don't see they AMA relaxing their current FPV rules to allow flying ANY aircraft beyond line of sight. The only way we will allow FPV at our field is if it is in accordance with the current AMA rules. If the AMA was to relax the rules we will consider not allowing FPV at the field at all. We have a major marina,a heliport and a County park next to our field along with houses.

topspin 10-19-2012 07:15 PM

He keeps begging everyone to go to his thread so he can continue to be an attention *****. I say ignore it and let it die of it's own lack of substance.

brandon429 10-19-2012 07:45 PM

That would include you posting too, count how many times you popped up. I invited discussion there to keep your thread on topic and to answer the direct questions being asked

By all means, nobody post to the thread nbd.

countilaw 10-19-2012 08:15 PM

Brandon, you are so wrong and the poll proves it. conceed to it and give up. There is no way you can justify your behavior regardless how hard you try or by what you say. YOU WERE WRONG !!!! That's all there is to it.

Frank