RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   old timers look here must be 50+ years only (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11607413-old-timers-look-here-must-50-years-only.html)

FlyerInOKC 12-11-2019 06:07 AM


Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK (Post 12569170)

I have been on that board before but I don't remember if I'm signed up. I am signed up on RCMF but not get over there very often.

Dapreacherman48 12-11-2019 08:12 AM

Started in the 80ís
 
Started in 1983 with a sig foam wing .19 three channel.

Dapreacherman48 12-11-2019 08:12 AM

Then got into high start gliders

Dapreacherman48 12-11-2019 08:13 AM

Went to college and was broke. Built a few 10cell electrics

Dapreacherman48 12-11-2019 08:15 AM

Married graduated and into US-aircore airplanes crashed one into a barbed wire fence. Replaced the prop and flew it again.

FlyerInOKC 12-11-2019 08:16 AM

I have a short kit and plans to build the powered glider Fournier RF4D. Living on the plains limits useful glider areas.

Dapreacherman48 12-11-2019 08:16 AM

Flew a short program for the local elementary school. Cartwheels an air core plane on landing. Kids thought it was hilarious. Videoed it on vhs.

FlyerInOKC 12-11-2019 08:20 AM


Originally Posted by Dapreacherman48 (Post 12569206)
Flew a short program for the local elementary school. Cartwheels an air core plane on landing. Kids thought it was hilarious. Videoed it on vhs.

Having an witnesses seems to increase the chance of a mishap in proportion with the amount of embarrassment it will cause! ;)

Telemaster Sales UK 12-11-2019 10:47 PM

Picture of my Big Guff's tailplane.

I will have to add a dowel to the leading edge of the tailplane which will locate in a plate in the fuselage because the bolts are behind the centre of pressure. I could not fit the forward bolt any further forward because the maximum sized commercially available 5mm bolt is only 50mm (2") long.

I still have the underside sheeting to do and I need to build the elevator. A plywood tail skid platform will be glued into place so that the bolts will have something more substantial to bear on than 0.8mm (1/32") balsa!


https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...ef0162ba69.jpg
I promise that I will use matching bolts for the maiden!

FlyerInOKC 12-12-2019 05:24 AM

Nice looking tail!

donnyman 12-14-2019 06:44 AM

How about the tail on this character?

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...468d46a931.jpg
Been seeing quite a few of them I must have a nest nearby

FlyerInOKC 12-14-2019 06:47 AM

The are looking for winter quarters and thought you needed a roomie. :D

Telemaster Sales UK 12-14-2019 06:56 AM

How about the tails on these? Cranes migrating south to Southern Spain or North Africa for the winter. Ok, this picture was taken in the autumn of 2016 but the migration is an annual event. The last group flew over my house about ten days ago, a sure sign that cold weather is just around the corner.


https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...729c6d8bf7.jpg

donnyman 12-14-2019 07:13 AM

We used to have very large noisy flocks fly over my house and land in the fields but I think the airport south of me has caused a change in the migratory route the numbers of birds has diminished dramatically.

donnyman 12-15-2019 06:46 AM


Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC (Post 12569772)
The are looking for winter quarters and thought you needed a roomie. :D

I think them critters have settled in somewhere, I killed another last night, Today I break out the bug spray.

donnyman 12-15-2019 09:36 AM


Originally Posted by donnyman (Post 12569776)
We used to have very large noisy flocks fly over my house and land in the fields but I think the airport south of me has caused a change in the migratory route the numbers of birds has diminished dramatically.

Speaking of birds, the airport has reported a increase in bird strikes this year, of course the air traffic has increased also especially with the new international race track close by.

Telemaster Sales UK 12-15-2019 08:42 PM


Originally Posted by donnyman (Post 12569975)
Speaking of birds, the airport has reported a increase in bird strikes this year, of course the air traffic has increased also especially with the new international race track close by.

Interestingly enough, we see the cranes migrating south in much larger numbers than in the picture above, often thousands of birds in one flock. The picture above is not typical of the flocks. But in the Spring, we rarely see them migrating north again to Scandanavia and Russia in large groups, just a few dozen here and there. They must take a different route, perhaps the different atmospheric conditions in the Spring cause this.

donnyman 12-19-2019 07:46 AM


Originally Posted by acdii (Post 12567976)
The good news is that it only takes about 90 seconds to evacuate the fumes with the laser extractor. I just open the lid, turn the blower on, and walk up the stairs and open door to the garage for a minute. If I don't open the door to the garage though it will pull from the fireplaces. Makes it drafty because it goes from the den, down the stairs, through the basement and into my shop at the other end of the house.

I have been thinking of your laser setup! now that you have had the chance to use it please show us what you have. (PIC) I will probably never get to build a router set up, too much other stuff in the way.
yesterday I spent the whole day shoveling dirt over my daughters septic drain fields they were puddling due to low areas, now all is dry but we still have a huge mound of dirt left so we will mound it over the fields to prevent puddles and promote evaporation.

I am quite pleased that my motor home is under repair and I didn't have to do the work. Most all problems have been fixed, this guy is amazing and saved me a lot of money, he repaired that which I intended to replace and found my air conditioning system on the engine non functioning due to a leaking compressor which was supposed to be new as it was replaced???? at the dealers shop, lucky for me I had insurance to cover the cost which was four times what this gentleman is charging. I think I have found a reasonable and exceptional mechanic.

FlyerInOKC 12-19-2019 08:05 AM


Originally Posted by donnyman (Post 12570616)
I have been thinking of your laser setup! now that you have had the chance to use it please show us what you have. (PIC) I will probably never get to build a router set up, too much other stuff in the way.
yesterday I spent the whole day shoveling dirt over my daughters septic drain fields they were puddling due to low areas, now all is dry but we still have a huge mound of dirt left so we will mound it over the fields to prevent puddles and promote evaporation.

I am quite pleased that my motor home is under repair and I didn't have to do the work. Most all problems have been fixed, this guy is amazing and saved me a lot of money, he repaired that which I intended to replace and found my air conditioning system on the engine non functioning due to a leaking compressor which was supposed to be new as it was replaced???? at the dealers shop, lucky for me I had insurance to cover the cost which was four times what this gentleman is charging. I think I have found a reasonable and exceptional mechanic.

A good reasonably price honest mechanic is a true blessing!

acdii 12-19-2019 08:35 AM


Originally Posted by donnyman (Post 12570616)
I have been thinking of your laser setup! now that you have had the chance to use it please show us what you have. (PIC) I will probably never get to build a router set up, too much other stuff in the way.
yesterday I spent the whole day shoveling dirt over my daughters septic drain fields they were puddling due to low areas, now all is dry but we still have a huge mound of dirt left so we will mound it over the fields to prevent puddles and promote evaporation.

I am quite pleased that my motor home is under repair and I didn't have to do the work. Most all problems have been fixed, this guy is amazing and saved me a lot of money, he repaired that which I intended to replace and found my air conditioning system on the engine non functioning due to a leaking compressor which was supposed to be new as it was replaced???? at the dealers shop, lucky for me I had insurance to cover the cost which was four times what this gentleman is charging. I think I have found a reasonable and exceptional mechanic.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...7fe00de3e.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...51cedca1d.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...7f840330e.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...269ab2a35.jpeg


the wings were cut with the laser. I dont have the pics on the phone anymore, but so far they worked well.

Telemaster Sales UK 12-19-2019 10:31 PM

Fine looking biplane you have there acdii!

I have completed the basic construction of the Big Guff's tail surfaces. Final sanding is required and the addition of a few, mostly cosmetic, gussets. The packing tape is only there to hold the elevator in position for the picture, I will top-hinge the elevator either with "Magic Hinge" or with the Solartex covering itself. Having decided to finish the fuselage and fin in Red Solartex, I may yet finish the flying surfaces in Antique Solartex in order to have a contrast between the fuselage and the restg of the model. Three young boys have recently joined our club; the oldest is twelve. They are making a simple electric model out of foam in our club workshop. Perhaps I'll ask them to decide.

The bare weight is 5.9 ozs or 168 grammes. The bare fuselage weighs just over 2 lbs or 938 grammes. Of course, this is without the engine, radio, undercarriage or covering but I think I'm on course for a model weighing less than 8 lbs (3.6 kgs.)

I'm having a few problems with the Laser 62 but I don't envisage maidening the Big Guff before the Spring so I've time to sort it out. If necessary, I'll fit a Laser 70 to it.

I will be spending Christmas and the New Year in England, flying out tomorrow night, so you won't be hearing for me for a while. Pictures to follow if I get the time.



https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...8b1896b944.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...7b3387e63e.jpg

Telemaster Sales UK 12-19-2019 10:41 PM

I'd like to wish all contributors a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year.

I wanted to include a link to a short film, actually a Christmas advert for a British Supermarket chain depicting the 1914 Christmas Truce on the Western Front but the cybernetics won't let me. Try googling "1914 Sainsbury's Christmas Ad" if you're interested.

This actually happened but in reality the Germans approached the British first and it was not snowing!

FlyerInOKC 12-20-2019 06:11 AM


Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK (Post 12570740)
I'd like to wish all contributors a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year.

I wanted to include a link to a short film, actually a Christmas advert for a British Supermarket chain depicting the 1914 Christmas Truce on the Western Front but the cybernetics won't let me. Try googling "1914 Sainsbury's Christmas Ad" if you're interested.

This actually happened but in reality the Germans approached the British first and it was not snowing! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWF2JBb1bvM

Weird when I went into reply the link showed up. I am going to try and add it another way. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you!

acdii 12-20-2019 06:28 AM


Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC (Post 12570770)
Weird when I went into reply the link showed up. I am going to try and add it another way. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you!
Try here


looks like somesing is broke

FlyerInOKC 12-20-2019 06:47 AM


Originally Posted by acdii (Post 12570774)
looks like somesing is broke

Namely standard procedure!

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...8e249de490.jpg


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:38 AM.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.