RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   old timers look here must be 50+ years only (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11607413-old-timers-look-here-must-50-years-only.html)

FlyerInOKC 02-18-2020 10:20 AM

He would be no better than the draft dogging crook we got in there now.

BarracudaHockey 02-18-2020 12:33 PM

We can stop the political debates right here and now

FlyerInOKC 02-18-2020 02:01 PM

Yep, nothing to gain by politics that bunch isn't worth wasting the breath. Anyone had good enough weather to be flying lately? We have more rain coming this weekend. Today is bright and sunny but in the 40s.

acdii 02-18-2020 02:07 PM

Yeah, I was just pointing out the hypocrisy that leads to the FAA thing we all have to deal with now.

donnyman 02-19-2020 01:58 PM

I had a doctors appointment today, My luck it's cold and rainy. I get in the car head down the driveway turn on the windshield wipers and head lights, three swipes and the wipers are dead. The rains not that bad so I continue, after the doctor visit I get in the car - Dead battery (left the headlights on) After a jumpstart I head home, half way there I had to relieve myself, but there is no where to go, Yea that's right I just got out of the shower and the car is wet -Inside- not to mention my clothes. Am I pi..ed? (no pun intended) you bet! so i will sit here in my robe thinking about taking a nap but I am afraid of falling out the bed or something.

acdii 02-19-2020 02:01 PM

And it's not even Monday.

FlyerInOKC 02-19-2020 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by donnyman (Post 12584189)
I had a doctors appointment today, My luck it's cold and rainy. I get in the car head down the driveway turn on the windshield wipers and head lights, three swipes and the wipers are dead. The rains not that bad so I continue, after the doctor visit I get in the car - Dead battery (left the headlights on) After a jumpstart I head home, half way there I had to relieve myself, but there is no where to go, Yea that's right I just got out of the shower and the car is wet -Inside- not to mention my clothes. Am I pi..ed? (no pun intended) you bet! so i will sit here in my robe thinking about taking a nap but I am afraid of falling out the bed or something.

It sucks getting old but beats the alternative! ;)

flyboy2610 02-20-2020 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC (Post 12584214)
It sucks getting old but beats the alternative! ;)

Not when you know the One who holds eternity in His hands! ;)

acdii 02-20-2020 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by flyboy2610 (Post 12584430)
Not when you know the One who holds eternity in His hands! ;)

He just looked at my fat ass and laughed. :(

Telemaster Sales UK 02-21-2020 11:18 AM

Another example of multinational capitalism, and mods, this is not politics it's economics! https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/...-2xgkgko7DuiGs

I'm glad I'm nearly 72!

FlyerInOKC 02-21-2020 12:00 PM

You see a lot of that now. I wonder how Triumph sells break down by country?

Telemaster Sales UK 02-21-2020 01:11 PM

Apparently European sales of Triumph motorcycles are holding their own but sales in Asia and the Americas are declining. https://motorcyclesdata.com/2020/02/...h-motorcycles/

FlyerInOKC 02-21-2020 02:45 PM

I have heard motorcycle sales in general are off in North America.

donnyman 02-22-2020 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC (Post 12584619)

With all the jobs in Asia who has the money for a bike?

It's simple ----no job ------ no money ----- no bike!

GallopingGhostler 02-22-2020 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by donnyman (Post 12584726)

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC (Post 12584619)

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK (Post 12584608)
Apparently European sales of Triumph motorcycles are holding their own but sales in Asia and the Americas are declining. https://motorcyclesdata.com/2020/02/...h-motorcycles/

With all the jobs in Asia who has the money for a bike? It's simple ----no job ------ no money ----- no bike!

Yes, it does seem sales are down everywhere in our local area here in eastern New Mexico and Texas Panhandle. 2 motorcycle repair shops folded, Gears -n- Gadgets in town and Big Mike's Bikes in nearby Farwell. The motorcycle dealers are dependent upon repairs and accessories to buffer declined sales. The RV sector with 4 wheelers seems to be doing OK, or at least it has the illusion of that. But here there are a lot of ranch land, motocross tracks, state parks, etc. to buffer the increased limitations of recreational riding in our "closed" national parks.

Seems to get a good deal on a new or used car, I have to drive at least 100 miles away. I get a general impression that people are so into getting loans for everything, especially in economically depressed area that I live in, that a cash customer is no longer valued or treated with respect. There is little discount, little incentive to pay cash. Yet, even with such all told, I have learned there is much freedom maintaining a debt free life, even if it seems the culture goes counter grain to it. Bottom line, you naturally have more disposable income at the end of the month.

There is a philosophy promoted as gospel that one should keep loans and keep everything monetarily fluid (loans that is), but I have found just the opposite true. Yes, one pays a little more in taxes because of the decreased tax write-offs, but overall I have had more disposable income because I don't have that interest burden tax.

Anyway, my 2 cents for what it's worth. (Very few have listening ears these days in my sphere of influence.

Telemaster Sales UK 02-22-2020 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler (Post 12584730)
Yes, it does seem sales are down everywhere in our local area here in eastern New Mexico and Texas Panhandle. 2 motorcycle repair shops folded, Gears -n- Gadgets in town and Big Mike's Bikes in nearby Farwell. The motorcycle dealers are dependent upon repairs and accessories to buffer declined sales. The RV sector with 4 wheelers seems to be doing OK, or at least it has the illusion of that. But here there are a lot of ranch land, motocross tracks, state parks, etc. to buffer the increased limitations of recreational riding in our "closed" national parks.

Seems to get a good deal on a new or used car, I have to drive at least 100 miles away. I get a general impression that people are so into getting loans for everything, especially in economically depressed area that I live in, that a cash customer is no longer valued or treated with respect. There is little discount, little incentive to pay cash. Yet, even with such all told, I have learned there is much freedom maintaining a debt free life, even if it seems the culture goes counter grain to it. Bottom line, you naturally have more disposable income at the end of the month.

There is a philosophy promoted as gospel that one should keep loans and keep everything monetarily fluid (loans that is), but I have found just the opposite true. Yes, one pays a little more in taxes because of the decreased tax write-offs, but overall I have had more disposable income because I don't have that interest burden tax.

Anyway, my 2 cents for what it's worth. (Very few have listening ears these days in my sphere of influence.

Or as someone said about five hundred years ago,

"...Never a borrower not a lender be, for a loan oft loses both itself and friend, and borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry...."

FlyerInOKC 02-22-2020 01:03 PM

I'm at that stage in life when debt retirement is the first priority. Still occasionally an emergency comes up. Like my old car reaching the point it wasn't worth repairing.

acdii 02-22-2020 01:24 PM

While it's true that a Mortgage was good for tax reasons, and an RV loan is considered a mortgage, and the interest could be written off same as a house, since the latest tax cuts were enacted, the personal exemptions are better than what used to be gained with the mortgage interest and real estate taxes. I filed basic last year, didn't need to file the advanced tax form last year. There was about a $400 refund difference between the two.

Been spending the day making cut files for the Top Flite Gold Edition Giant Scale Corsair. Putting together a sheet inventory list now and gathering costs so I can figure out a good selling point for short kits. Fun stuff. There are 59 sheets to be cut. Next step is to get my card stock cut to sizes and cut out templates to compare to the plans and if all is good, cut my first kit.

Kwally 02-22-2020 01:59 PM

50+ years old into RC boats 20 years

Been away from hobby for 14 years and time to get back in. Starting with a gas cat.

ramboy 02-22-2020 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK (Post 12584608)

There was a Triumph motorcycle dealer near me but it went out of business 2 years ago. There is also a BMW motorcycle dealer near me that seems to be doing well.

acdii 02-22-2020 08:56 PM

So, what you guys think, I just finished creating the cut jobs for a Top Flite Gold Edition Giant Scale Corsair. The material costs came out to $161. Would a short kit be worth $250 on this? All wood is from National Balsa. I spent about 18 hours programming and optimizing it to give some idea how much time goes into it. Each piece of plywood is about 15 minutes cutting time, and there are 11 sheets of ply so add another 3 hours for that and there are 26 sheets of balsa, 5-10 minutes per cut between the 1/8th and 1/4 sheets. At least 8 hours of machine time when adding it all up. So the first kit is 36 hours of work.

If I charge $10 an hour laser time, thats $80, plus material costs, comes out to $241, so let me know if it is a fair price for something that is now unobtainium from Tower.

GallopingGhostler 02-22-2020 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK (Post 12584732)
Or as someone said about five hundred years ago, "...Never a borrower not a lender be, for a loan oft loses both itself and friend, and borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry...."

True but except for thy sagely advice, 500 years of history obviously have gone largely ignored or lost. (Do they even teach history and literature these days in US schools?) Or as expressed in Proverbs 22:7, "The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender."

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC (Post 12584762)
I'm at that stage in life when debt retirement is the first priority. Still occasionally an emergency comes up. Like my old car reaching the point it wasn't worth repairing.

I've given away the last several vehicles I have owned, were still in good running condition but old. Found that certain vehicles depreciate so much that purchasing a good low mileage used one has spared me emergencies, plus, replace the weak areas (belts and hoses, alternators when approaching 100k miles, etc.) has helped to avert most if not all emergencies. But, everyone needs to find what works for them.

Originally Posted by acdii (Post 12584768)
While it's true that a Mortgage was good for tax reasons, and an RV loan is considered a mortgage, and the interest could be written off same as a house, since the latest tax cuts were enacted, the personal exemptions are better than what used to be gained with the mortgage interest and real estate taxes. I filed basic last year, didn't need to file the advanced tax form last year. There was about a $400 refund difference between the two.

Some 25 years ago, we paid off our house. Even though we paid a little more in taxes (they didn't have the larger personal exemptions as they do now), overall we were still in better shape financially versus not paying off the loan. I just can't see paying several times over the value of the home in the form of interest. If one were to take their hourly rate and divide that into the interest paid, then again dividing by the average hours in a work day would see how many days of their life was spent in just paying the interest tax.

Originally Posted by Kwally (Post 12584771)
Been away from hobby for 14 years and time to get back in. Starting with a gas cat.

Welcome to the discussion, Kwally. When you get a chance, please show some photos of your build progress.

Originally Posted by ramboy (Post 12584773)
There was a Triumph motorcycle dealer near me but it went out of business 2 years ago. There is also a BMW motorcycle dealer near me that seems to be doing well.

The Harley Davidson dealer is still hanging in there along with the Yamaha/Kawasaki and Honda/Polaris/Victory dealers, but we don't have a Triumph dealer. I think there may be one 95 miles away in Lubbock, Texas.

Originally Posted by acdii (Post 12584820)
So, what you guys think, I just finished creating the cut jobs for a Top Flite Gold Edition Giant Scale Corsair. The material costs came out to $161. Would a short kit be worth $250 on this? All wood is from National Balsa. I spent about 18 hours programming and optimizing it to give some idea how much time goes into it. Each piece of plywood is about 15 minutes cutting time, and there are 11 sheets of ply so add another 3 hours for that and there are 26 sheets of balsa, 5-10 minutes per cut between the 1/8th and 1/4 sheets. At least 8 hours of machine time when adding it all up. So the first kit is 36 hours of work. If I charge $10 an hour laser time, thats $80, plus material costs, comes out to $241, so let me know if it is a fair price for something that is now unobtainium from Tower.

I'm not the best source of opinion on this, but doesn't seem you are asking outside of what is reasonable. Those companies who are able to wholesale obtain balsa may have a slight edge on you, as you got your balsa retail, no? Yes, more and more I see more things that are unobtanium. ;)

acdii 02-23-2020 08:20 AM

The escrow for the taxes and insurance costs more than the actual mortgage payment. $10K a year in tax and insurance. Outrageous taxes and yet, crappy roads and schools. How did that happen?

FlyerInOKC 02-23-2020 10:21 AM

Well you have to pay to support all those politicians unemployable relatives!

acdii 02-23-2020 07:11 PM

Ugh, I keep hoping to hear in the morning news that the Governor has dropped dead from a heart attack. Wrong, I know, but can't stand. Raised gas taxes, plate fees, wants to institute a progressive tax, and a state exit tax. He has pulled funding for the State Police so now it takes months instead of weeks to get a FOID card or CCW. Latest I heard was mandatory gun owners insurance. I so hate this state, but stuck here for a while longer until my horses pass. I don't want another horse property.