RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   AMA Useless! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11624564-ama-useless.html)

franklin_m 12-15-2015 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic (Post 12142187)
Rich, these come through every few months. AMA is too busy taking kickbacks from insurance companies to protect our interests.

Just noticed that AMA has not approved any new blog comments since yesterday. One has to wonder why.

mallen 12-15-2015 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by porcia83 (Post 12141925)
You are missing the big picture. The AMA is more than insurance and a mag, but if that's all the benefit you derive from it, than so be it. There is more, but if you don't avail yourself of it, then I don't think it's fair to label them as useless or redundant. That you haven't been personally involved in a claim, nor been updated or advised of the resolution of one doesn't mean the insurance didn't work as intended. It most certainly does, I assure you. Folks join the AMA to join a club and fly together. If you're lucky enough to be able to fly at a field with no AMA needed, more power to you, plenty of folks do that. I don't get the comment about your liability to the hobby being defined by the FAA. They require to register, it's as simple as that. Has nothing to do with liability or the AMA. I believe your interpretation of no longer needing the AMA is incorrect, at least in terms of flying at most clubs and events. Just because you might have to show FAA reg at an event doesn't negate the need for the AMA.

Since you've been away from the AMA for 10 years, you might want to reacquaint yourself with the organization and all they offer, things have changed. :)

I've been a AMA Member for over 35 years and have never seen the "benefit" other then I'm "required" to have it to fly at certain locations and for certain events.....so please, enlighten me with "reacquaint yourself with the organization and all they offer, things have changed."?

Also, I must say, you really should be running for office with the statement "The AMA is more than insurance and a mag, but if that's all the benefit you derive from it, than so be it.".....lol

John_M_ 12-15-2015 12:05 PM

Well since we already have registered with AMA for insurance purposes , then the AMA should have fought for us in that respect... this FAA registration is just another number to keep track of.

So I wonder if all the wrong doers out there, you know the ones that break laws, terrorize, etc will register their unnamed UAV's / Model Aircraft... better yet, what if they hack the database and use someone else's registration number / info... I don't think someone with the intent to do harm is really going to care if the aircraft is captured or not.

I don't like where this is going to go, but as far as I'm concerned the AMA database , IS or should be sufficient enough to satisfy the FAA registration process.

John M,

Granpooba 12-15-2015 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by jwrich (Post 12142178)
I just got an email from AMA this in-part (Your auto insurance is supposed to guard you every mile you drive ... every day of the year. But what if you're paying too much for protection that stops short if you're in an accident?As an AMA member, it's easy to find out. Get your qualified quote now
[TABLE="width: 400, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD]•
[/TD]
[TD]You could pay less for every auto insurance bill with a special discount.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]•
[/TD]
[TD]What if you could cut those bills while at the same time providing peace of mind for your loved ones when they're on the road?
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]•
[/TD]
[TD]Vanishing Deductible[SUP]®[/SUP] - Add Vanishing Deductible and get $100 off for every year of safe driving. Your deductible could even go down to zero.*
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Because you are a member of AMA, Nationwide offers you a discount.)

What the hell, is AMA partnered with auto insurance companies now, how many of you received this email?

Rich

I received the same email.

I just replied back . " Do not want anything to do with anything that has the AMA label attached to it " !! :mad:

smkrcflyer 12-15-2015 12:47 PM

We only need one registration number so we should just go with the FAA and save a lot of money. No need for the AMA anymore.

RC_Fanatic 12-15-2015 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by smkrcflyer (Post 12142281)
We only need one registration number so we should just go with the FAA and save a lot of money. No need for the AMA anymore.

Just get our liability insurance from Nationwide or whomever, without the kickback to the AMA. Think I'll check with my insurance broker.

RCVFR 12-15-2015 01:13 PM

This thread is a good indicator why the AMA forum doesn't get very broad readership. :rolleyes:

RCKen 12-15-2015 01:40 PM

Ok guys, I usually don't jump into these discussions because I am supposed to remain neutral in stuff like this. But something just happened that totally pi**ed me off to the point that I spent the last 30 minutes typing up a letter to Dave Matthewson (Executive Director) at the AMA to express my outrage over what was going. With everything going on with the FAA fiasco and the feeling that we have been sold down the river the AMA should be hard at work with the FAA trying to help us out right? At least that's the blog that Dave put out yesterday, he said that the AMA was going to be organizing a lawsuit towards the FAA to get the FAA to abide by the 2012 FAA Modernization Law that states that Model Aviation was exempt from FAA regulations. They also stated that they were also trying to get the FAA to allow AMA members to be able to use their AMA numbers as their registration numbers instead of having to register with the FAA. So this is what the AMA is "supposed" to be doing on our behalf rigth?? This is what we are paying our $58/year (soon to by $75/year) for, right? They are support us in Washington when the need arises. Yes, I know there are other benefits and things that they do, and other support that they give us. But right now is time to prioritize and let's form a battle line and fight the fight that we need to right now right?? The FAA, Right?? So here is the email I got, and most of you probably got it too.

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"][TABLE="width: 100%, align: left"]
[TR]
[TD="class: content-padding"][TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="class: drop, width: 2%"]http://image.exct.net/lib/ffcf14/m/1/spacer.gif[/TD]
[TD="class: drop, width: 65%"][TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="align: left"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: drop, colspan: 3, align: left"][TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="class: dashedBorder, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #bfbfbf, colspan: 3, align: right"]View this email as a web page[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]http://image.exct.net/lib/fec8157775...il_AMA_bnr.jpg[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #ffffff"]Dear KENNETH,

Your auto insurance is supposed to guard you every mile you drive ... every day of the year. But what if you're paying too much for protection that stops short if you're in an accident?

As an AMA member, it's easy to find out. Get your qualified quote now
[TR]
[TD]•[/TD]
[TD]You could pay less for every auto insurance bill with a special discount.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]•[/TD]
[TD]What if you could cut those bills while at the same time providingpeace of mind for your loved ones when they're on the road?[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]•[/TD]
[TD]Vanishing Deductible[SUP]®[/SUP] - Add Vanishing Deductible and get $100 off for every year of safe driving. Your deductible could even go down to zero.*[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Because you are a member of AMA, Nationwide offers you a discount.

Thanks to an alliance between Academy of Model Aeronautics and Nationwide Insurance[SUP]®[/SUP], you can lower your auto insurance bills - while you set up even higher peace of mind whenever you're on the road.

And what if you're in an accident? Just one accident could cost a safe driver like you as much as $500.00 - but it doesn't have to.

Sincerely,
Nationwide Insurance
P.S. If you act fast, you could even qualify for a refund on your current coverage. Your current auto insurance company is required to issue you a prompt refund check for the majority of the premium that hasn't been used under your current policy.**
So why wait? See how much you could save as an AMA member today. You can also call 1-888-889-4322.

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #ffffff"][TABLE="width: 480, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD]At Nationwide, we work hard to ensure your online safety, security, and privacy. Please take a moment to review our policies To remove your email address from Nationwide email lists, please gohere to edit your subscriptions.
*Vanishing Deductible is an optional feature. Annual credits subject to eligibility requirements. Maximum credit: $500.00. Details and availability vary by state.
**Refund varies by state, the reason for cancellation, the amount of premium paid and other factors.
Nationwide may make a financial contribution to this organization in return for the opportunity to market products and services to its alumni or customers. Products underwritten by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company and Affiliated Companies, Home Office: Columbus, OH 43215. Subject to underwriting guidelines, review, and approval. Products and discounts not available to all persons in all states. Nationwide, the Nationwide N and Eagle and Nationwide is on your side are service marks of Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company. © 2015
Email ID: 10180905-EAF00112b[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: drop, colspan: 3, align: left"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Really??? Car Insurance??? Really?? Come on guys. Let's keep our focus right now. I doubt there are any of us out here right now that really give a flying flip about what they AMA can save us on car insurance. Sheeez. Really???

Does anybody out there think that I am off the mark be getting upset over this?? I personally think that the AMA really has lost it's focus and needs to seriously sit down and figure out what they are doing as an organization. Do they want to support the Drone community or are they going to support the existing Model Aviation community. And while they are doing that they need to put their full focus on actually fighting the fights the need fighting, and diddling around with the silly stuff. I seriously think that the AMA is an organization that has out grown it's usefulness and it's time for something new to arise from the ashes. It's clear that the AMA wants to court the multi-rotor community and welcome their masses into the folds of the AMA. Maybe it's time an new organization forms that provides the existing Model Aviation community the support we need that the AMA is supposes to providing us without all the extra BS.

Ok, I'll climb off my soapbox now. Rant mode turned off. Thank you for listening. I feel better now. :)

Ken

smkrcflyer 12-15-2015 01:49 PM

Ken,
I think what your saying is true and the AMA needs to do something about this or close there doors.

tgreeng 12-15-2015 01:57 PM

If we stop paying dues, we stop supporting the AMA. Pretty simple math. I for one will be writing down my FAA registration number when asked for my AMA number at the next fun fly and move on to enjoy the event. The club sponsoring the event will be more interested in my registration fee than ensuring that I'm an AMA member. And the truth of the matter is that I would be compliant with prevailing regulation as I would have registered. I'll continue to fly with common sense and be safe. What more can one ask?

RC_Fanatic 12-15-2015 02:25 PM

Right on, Ken. Very well put.

porcia83 12-15-2015 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by franklin_m (Post 12142049)
Porcia, I'm not unlike the writer above. For many, it's an issue of perceived value. The declining number of paying members may be demographics, may be changing nature of available time & interests, widespread availability of good parkfliers etc. that don't need an AMA field to fly, perceived value of membership, or all of the above. For me, it's a perceived value combined with change in habits. I flew larger airplanes for a while, but grew tired of the 13 mile one way trek to a rough grass field. Even once there, I became less happy about having 20cc and larger airplanes rocketing toward the flight line and pulling into maneuvers just feet from my face. Furthermore, when they're flying, it all but dominates the airspace, which meant I spent even more time sitting and not flying. Hardly a good "return" on my time "investment" to get to the field. On the other hand, if I merely switched to slightly smaller electrics, I could fly much more often less than 200 yards from my house. I'd rather be flying than driving, so I chose to alter my habits. Plus the added benefit of no missiles at my face, no domination of the flying space, and no triple digit club fee. I don't need the social aspects of it, and flying is actually my escape from it.

In terms of perceived value, as a homeowner the AMA insurance is last to pay anyway, so it's of nearly zero value. I enjoy the magazine, but the topics are somewhat repetitive over time. As for the list of other benefits the AMA lists, most are not "benefits", but rather of value to youth (I'm not one), competitions (dominated by sponsored pilots), Muncie (never been there, would require considerable travel expense even to visit), etc. And some of what AMA lists as a "benefit" to me, actually rub me the wrong way. I'm not happy about subsidizing youth memberships for kids appearing in the magazine flying $1000+ helicopters, planes, or MRs. I can't afford to spend that much on a plane, but they can, and yet I'm paying for part of their membership / insurance? It's the principle.

On top of that add the issues we've discussed, lost flying fields, lost opportunities to establish new ones, lack of transparency from AMA, clubs that you visit on a Saturday that don't even acknowledge your existence for over an hour, and at the one event you do attend, have AMA "royalty" talk down their nose at you because you don't fly a big warbird like they do.

I expect you'll find fault with this, but it's a from the heart honest and candid view from one member's perspective.

I've never found fault with someone who chose not the be part of the AMA, I wouldn't presume to judge their opinion or decision in that matter. There is NO value for some in joining, a few folks here are lucky enough to have land to fly and are not into the club scene. Great! I've repeatedly said there are lots of folks who fly and don't belong to a club, or the AMA. The AMA, nor a club, is a requirement to enjoy the hobby...by any stretch. I've also repeatedly said different people will get different things out of the organization....it's a personal preference. When someone however asks what they might be missing, or asks for a reply to something they have said like what else can the AMA good for, I have no problem sharing my opinion, or pointing out something they might not have seen before. The insurance is a huge benefit, we are both probably lucky enough to have underlying coverage, so the "value" is decreased. I know some people who have NO insurance, so for them there is a much higher value. I happen to love the magazine, some guys use it in the litter box. To each their own. Some people look at the good in something, others try to find fault with absolutely everything. Again, fair enough.

The AMA can be virtually nothing more than an entrance ticket to a club, or it can be a source of enjoyment for others.

porcia83 12-15-2015 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by jwrich (Post 12142178)
I just got an email from AMA this in-part (Your auto insurance is supposed to guard you every mile you drive ... every day of the year. But what if you're paying too much for protection that stops short if you're in an accident?As an AMA member, it's easy to find out. Get your qualified quote now
[TR]
[TD]•[/TD]
[TD]You could pay less for every auto insurance bill with a special discount.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]•[/TD]
[TD]What if you could cut those bills while at the same time providing peace of mind for your loved ones when they're on the road?[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]•[/TD]
[TD]Vanishing Deductible[SUP]®[/SUP] - Add Vanishing Deductible and get $100 off for every year of safe driving. Your deductible could even go down to zero.*[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Because you are a member of AMA, Nationwide offers you a discount.)

What the hell, is AMA partnered with auto insurance companies now, how many of you received this email?

Rich

i don't see what the big deal is, they have an affinity marketing program with an insurance company that offers members discounts? It's been the same company for the past year, if not more. Is this any different from the website sending us e-mail to shop at their advertisers? Isn't this another benefit of the AMA...if you pay less to Nationwide because you are an AMA member...how is this bad? Should the AMA not look for advertising sales? I believe you can opt out of receiving the notices as well.

franklin_m 12-15-2015 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by RCKen (Post 12142322)
Ok guys, I usually don't jump into these discussions because I am supposed to remain neutral in stuff like this. But something just happened that totally pi**ed me off to the point that I spent the last 30 minutes typing up a letter to Dave Matthewson (Executive Director) at the AMA to express my outrage over what was going. ....

Really??? Car Insurance??? Really?? Come on guys. Let's keep our focus right now. I doubt there are any of us out here right now that really give a flying flip about what they AMA can save us on car insurance. Sheeez. Really???

Does anybody out there think that I am off the mark be getting upset over this?? I personally think that the AMA really has lost it's focus and needs to seriously sit down and figure out what they are doing as an organization. Do they want to support the Drone community or are they going to support the existing Model Aviation community. And while they are doing that they need to put their full focus on actually fighting the fights the need fighting, and diddling around with the silly stuff. I seriously think that the AMA is an organization that has out grown it's usefulness and it's time for something new to arise from the ashes. It's clear that the AMA wants to court the multi-rotor community and welcome their masses into the folds of the AMA. Maybe it's time an new organization forms that provides the existing Model Aviation community the support we need that the AMA is supposes to providing us without all the extra BS.

Ok, I'll climb off my soapbox now. Rant mode turned off. Thank you for listening. I feel better now. :)

Ken

Ken,

ABSOLUTELY NOT. You're spot on sending them a note, in fact I did the same as well. My regional EVP and Dave. I outlined that I think they need to fundamentally rethink their strategy moving forward. I'm of the opinion that suing the very agency that has the power to regulate you operations is beyond foolish. Even if they win, they can nit pick our ops on the safety issue alone to the point it will kill the hobby. Not to mention, how's the lawsuit they have already filed working out so far?

IMO, they need to get back to basics. Support the fliers in the field. They're missing that point that AMA gets dues because of perceived value, and if member comments here are any indication, folks aren't perceiving much value. Add to that transparency issues with respect to health of the organization as a whole and people should rightly be concerned.

Feel free to rant. You've earned it.

init4fun 12-15-2015 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic (Post 12142343)
Right on, Ken. Very well put.

:cool: Agree 100% !

:mad: Bottom line = OUR organization , without our consent , attempted a "power grab" whereby the AMA was to be the only recognized CBO representing model aircraft , while allowing drone ops to be protected under the CBO umbrella as "model aircraft" as well . The AMA EC smelled huge drone dollars and gambled our regulatory future in the persuit of them and lost . Did the AMA really think the FAA was going to regulate only SOME drone ops (non AMA) while leaving other drone ops (AMA condoned drones) alone ? And allow the AMA a total monopoly on the entirety of SUAS operations ?

init4fun 12-15-2015 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by porcia83 (Post 12142361)
i don't see what the big deal isl, they have an affinity marketing program with an insurance company that offers members discounts? It's been the same company for the past year, if not more. Is this any different from the website sending us e-mail to shop at their advertisers? Should the AMA not look for advertising sales? I believe you can opt out of receiving the notices as well.

I think the anger rightly lives in the fact that the day after a bomb is set off in the hobby , is a very poor time indeed to be pushing some trite product as if nothing of importance has happened .

:( Kinda like asking the widow at the funeral if you can get a deal on her late husband's corvette ..........

porcia83 12-15-2015 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by init4fun (Post 12142365)
I think the anger rightly lives in the fact that the day after a bomb is set off in the hobby , is a very poor time indeed to be pushing some trite product as if nothing of importance has happened .

:( Kinda like asking the widow at the funeral if you can get a deal on her late husband's corvette ..........

C'mon, it's not even close to that. It's a standard marketing e-mail that has been going out for some time now. It's part of a longstanding business plan that oddly enough nobody really complained about before. This feels like a red herring to complain about the AMA and their involvement in the FAA issue. If this brings advertising income INTO the AMA, and members derive a BENEFIT from it, it would seem counter intuitive to stop that from going forward. The AMA isn't going to stop doing everything they have always done because of one bad decision from the feds. It's certainly not business as usual, but the other facets of the operation need to continue on. Should the museum close down? Should grants stop being given to clubs, the MA mag stop being published?

If they make money, and a AMA member gets a discount and pays less, that's a win win.

init4fun 12-15-2015 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by porcia83 (Post 12142372)
C'mon, it's not even close to that. It's a standard marketing e-mail that has been going out for some time now. It's part of a longstanding business plan that oddly enough nobody really complained about before. This feels like a red herring to complain about the AMA and their involvement in the FAA issue. If this brings advertising income INTO the AMA, and members derive a BENEFIT from it, it would seem counter intuitive to stop that from going forward. The AMA isn't going to stop doing everything they have always done because of one bad decision from the feds. It's certainly not business as usual, but the other facets of the operation need to continue on. Should the museum close down? Should grants stop being given to clubs, the MA mag stop being published?

If they make money, and a AMA member gets a discount and pays less, that's a win win.

:cool: Yes I know my example was far flung , but the principle of what I am saying is sound . The time for such advertising would be after the dust had settled a bit on what went down yesterday , rather than going on today hawking insurance products as if nothing of any importance had happened just 24 hours ago .

EJN 12-15-2015 03:41 PM

I'm of the opinion that suing the very agency that has the power to regulate you operations is beyond foolish. Even if they win, they can nit pick our ops on the safety issue alone to the point it will kill the hobby.
About 14 years ago, the government (BATFE) imposed draconian restrictions on high-power rocketry. The 2 rocketry organizations (NAR, TRA) challenged them in court. They won, unconditionally, and the regulations were vacated by the court. The BATFE did not appeal.

However, it took 9 years and cost ~$300000, which was raised mostly through donations.

IMO, the AMA is useless if they do not try and challenge this in court if necessary. I see at least one legal basis already, the FAA did not follow the normal NPRM procedures for rulemaking; also the 2012 FAA Modernization Law.

grotto2 12-15-2015 04:25 PM

Ya know, one approach to dealing with the government is to do exactly what they ask. If everyone who flys models, everyone who used to fly models, and everyone who thinks they might fly models were to register, we could swamp the system. We could get a campaign going to register a million modelers, say, during the free period.
They're the ones asking for the burden. Let's give it to 'em. Can you imagine the FAA going back to congress hat-in-hand next month to ask for more money to hire more people to process more RCers?

PLANE JIM 12-15-2015 04:31 PM

I am sure there will be other CBO's formed now once other's figure out there will be a public database available on models registered thru the US Gover. and they will pursue everyone to join and have insurance available for clubs as well for sanction events. The AMA leadership trying to make a money grab may have just started a slow miserable death of this entity.

hairy46 12-15-2015 04:46 PM

This is just sickening, I can not believed the AMA did not stand up for the hobby, they let the drone people pull the rug right out from under us, shameful AMA Shameful, I play by the rules, you should have back the ones that did AMA, Shameful!!

blainer48 12-15-2015 04:55 PM

Well, my biggest problem with this is that the AMA had to increase our dues thanks to all the legal battles for "drone" pilots that do not have any interest in joining the AMA or local clubs. These are people who mainly do not give to craps about the hobby. So, now the nice slap on the face with increased dues and for what? Seems to me a whole lot of nothing. The people at the AMA should be ashamed of themselves, but I can pretty much bet they don't care about this. When you think of $5 for every AMA member that regardless of how stupid we think it is, will of course do the right thing. This is one big freaking joke and I wonder how they plan to enforce it. Are the cops going to start stopping by model clubs and checking everyone for a registration number?

frankjr 12-15-2015 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by RCKen (Post 12141336)
[INDENT]

They did pass a law, but the FAA has chosen to ignore that law saying it does not apply. The AMA is preparing to take actions against the FAA in the very area. Here is the AMA's response to this action that was put out today.
AMA Reacts to DOT UAS Registration Rule

MUNCIE, Ind. – Dave Mathewson, executive director of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) which is the world’s largest community-based organization, today made the following statement on the Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) rule for small unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) registration:
“AMA is disappointed with the new rule for UAS registration. As a member of the task force that helped develop recommendations for this rule, AMA argued that registration makes sense at some level and for UAS flyers operating outside the guidance of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes. Unfortunately, the new rule is counter to Congress’s intent in the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and makes the registration process an unnecessary burden for our more than 185,000 members who have been operating safely for decades.
“The Special Rule for Model Aircraft in the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 clearly states that the FAA is prohibited from promulgating any new rules for recreational users operating within the safety guidelines of a community-based organization (CBO). Meanwhile, the FAA’s contention that model aircraft should be considered aircraft is currently the subject of pending litigation. Congress by no means intended to grant a free pass to flyers within this system. Instead, it left risk mitigation and the development of appropriate safety guidelines to organizations like AMA.
“AMA’s eighty years of experience demonstrates that this voluntary, community-based approach to managing recreational flyers is highly effective. Our members follow a comprehensive set of safety and privacy guidelines, which are constantly evolving to accommodate new technologies and new modeling disciplines.
“At the same time, AMA understands that new legions of flyers need to be educated on how to fly safely and responsibly. That’s why AMA has been working closely with the FAA and the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI) on the Know Before You Flycampaign. Education programs like these are one of the best ways to ensure the safety of our airspace.”
# # #
Background on the FAA Interpretative Rule of Section 336
On June 23, 2014, the FAA released its “Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft,” (referred to as the “Interpretive Rule”), which imposed new restrictions on the use of model aircraft in direct contradiction to Section 336 and against the intent of Congress. The Interpretive Rule expands the definition of aircraft to include model aircraft, with which AMA disagrees. AMA has filed a petition to overturn the Interpretive Rule, which is still the subject of pending litigation.
About AMA
The Academy of Model Aeronautics, founded in 1936, continues to be devoted to national airspace safety. It serves as the nation’s collective voice for approximately 185,000 modelers in 2,400 clubs in the United States and Puerto Rico. Headquartered in Muncie, Indiana, AMA is a membership organization representing those who fly model aircraft for recreation and educational purposes. For more information, visitwww.modelaircraft.org.

The above is from AMA http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...stration-rule/

I wouldn't expect much. The FAA has made the decision and it's not going to change. The AMA has been courting drones for the last 2 years and they spent a quarter of a million of our dollars to help promote them. I don't know what they are thinking, but I think that they assume that now all these millions of drone operators are going to come running to the AMA and sign up. But they weren't counting on the FAA slamming their existing members, that being the airplanes/helis flyers. I think it backfired on them. That's strictly my personal opinion of course. And I seriously doubt we are going to see a huge numbers jump in membership because these people buying drones aren't going to want to join the AMA. But once again, my opinion.

Ken

Ken, it may be your opinion but it certainly is the truth!

ira d 12-15-2015 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by init4fun (Post 12142363)
:cool: Agree 100% !

:mad: Bottom line = OUR organization , without our consent , attempted a "power grab" whereby the AMA was to be the only recognized CBO representing model aircraft , while allowing drone ops to be protected under the CBO umbrella as "model aircraft" as well . The AMA EC smelled huge drone dollars and gambled our regulatory future in the persuit of them and lost . Did the AMA really think the FAA was going to regulate only SOME drone ops (non AMA) while leaving other drone ops (AMA condoned drones) alone ? And allow the AMA a total monopoly on the entirety of SUAS operations ?

I agree.