RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Insurance (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11694143-insurance.html)

acugnini 10-15-2021 10:42 AM

Insurance

We know that AMA membership includes liability insurance coverage for aerial operations. It would be useful to start a discussion on alternatives, for those who don't want to join the AMA. (BTW, no need for the "Why not join" discussion here.)

Although some sources have suggested that homeowner's insurance might cover liability, I suspect that most policies exclude it (as does mine).

Any information out there?

-- agc

tedsander 10-15-2021 02:30 PM

Each company varies. Mine exempted aircraft a few years ago, but specifically noted that this does not mean models. I haven't checked to see if that has changed since then. For policies I had years ago, it was pretty simple to add a rider specifically including risk due to model aviation, which I did. The cost came when increasing the coverage to higher limits. Clubs could likely do the same with a "commercial" policy covering them and the site owner. Something to ask your agent about when it is renewal time, or you are shopping for coverage. And yes, there are companies that just flat out deny coverage for anything that flies.
For many years the AMA coverage has been secondary to any primary homeowners insurance (with coverage) that may exist. Have not confirmed the current state, but it would make sense as it would reduce their cost to do so.

rgburrill 10-15-2021 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by acugnini (Post 12698603)
We know that AMA membership includes liability insurance coverage for aerial operations. It would be useful to start a discussion on alternatives, for those who don't want to join the AMA. (BTW, no need for the "Why not join" discussion here.)

Although some sources have suggested that homeowner's insurance might cover liability, I suspect that most policies exclude it (as does mine).

Any information out there?

-- agc

Many years ago I joined the AMA for two reasons-1) the insurance and 2) the fields I knew about required it. Today a third reason comes along -the FAA requires a "Community Based Organization" and the AMA is the only one they acknowledge so far. So if you aren't planning on flying at a field that requires it and don't give a hoot about the law, or think the excuse you are flying within the rules of a CBO without belonging to one will hold water, why bother with insurance?
OTOH if you are thinking Part 107 then remember that is commercial and commercial insurance is a lot more expensive.

Plumcrazy Preston 10-24-2021 12:01 PM

get a piece of the rock?

carlgrover 10-26-2021 08:49 AM

Years ago there was another place to get insurance from that tried to compete with the AMA. I don't remember what it was called but it was started by a group of lawyers. I think they advertised in the rc magazines. There was some discussion about them on all the forums. They folded after roughly two years. Someone around here will remember what they called themselves.

carl

BarracudaHockey 10-26-2021 09:58 AM

SFA
Sport Flyers Association i believe

scale only 4 me 10-26-2021 10:32 AM

Yeah,, If I remember right they tried to sue to be accepted at AMA fields and events and lost, so with nowhere to really use it it became useless insurance

mongo 10-26-2021 02:06 PM

there has been at least 2 other attempts since the old SFA folded.

Propworn 10-27-2021 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by mongo (Post 12700129)
there has been at least 2 other attempts since the old SFA folded.

The SFA has been the only active/operational organization with paying membership and a few operational fields. There was no operational recognition between the two organizations, SFA and AMA. Lawsuits, internal disagreements and financial problems unfortunatly hastened the end of this fledgling organization. The other two attempts never got much beyond the idea phase no membership no actual stand alone flying fields, nowhere near the development of the SFA. One could hardly consider these to be serious attempts at a competing organization. After the SFA's demise I think any fledgling organization is going to have a difficult time establishing a foothold.

There were more than a few in Canada keeping close eye on the SFA's development some even in touch inquiring about the possibility of expanding into Canada.

Raleighcopter 01-17-2022 06:20 PM

I have a 2 million dollar umbrella policy for this sort of stuff. It's not as cheap as an ama membership.

Propworn 01-30-2022 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Raleighcopter (Post 12711901)
I have a 2 million dollar umbrella policy for this sort of stuff. It's not as cheap as an ama membership.

Problem with that is wouldn't your insurance company be expected to pay before AMA would come into effect.

Raleighcopter 01-30-2022 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Propworn (Post 12713561)
Problem with that is wouldn't your insurance company be expected to pay before AMA would come into effect.

I'm not sure I care which insurance policy pays as long as I have coverage. By the way, the umbrella policy covers me for any liability up to 2 million, not just model airplane related incidents.

init4fun 01-30-2022 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Propworn (Post 12713561)

Originally Posted by Raleighcopter (Post 12713579)
I'm not sure I care which insurance policy pays as long as I have coverage. By the way, the umbrella policy covers me for any liability up to 2 million, not just model airplane related incidents.

Hi Raleighcopter,

Propworn's question brings to my mind one valid point of why you may well care which policy pays were a damage causing incident to happen with your helicopter.

If the AMA insurance was primary, and paid first, the cost of your AMA membership wouldn't increase, whereas if your other insurance pays, It's all but certain your premium will go up.

Raleighcopter 01-30-2022 09:53 AM

Very good point. I still need an umbrella policy because If something were to occur (unrelated to model airplanes) where someone was injured or had damages, I'm collectable.

Originally Posted by init4fun (Post 12713595)
Hi Raleighcopter,

Propworn's question brings to my mind one valid point of why you may well care which policy pays were a damage causing incident to happen with your helicopter.

If the AMA insurance was primary, and paid first, the cost of your AMA membership wouldn't increase, whereas if your other insurance pays, It's all but certain your premium will go up.

tedsander 01-30-2022 12:18 PM

Since this thread became active again, I looked at my current Homeowners policy, from Amica insurance. Pretty standard policy from them, I never asked for anything related to model aircraft. In their definitions, they state:

Aircraft means any contrivance used
or designed for flight except model or
hobby aircraft not used or designed to
carry people or cargo;

Several places they call out no coverage for aircraft. But I would assume due to the above, model airplanes would be covered, to whatever level other items are generally covered in the policy.

Many years ago, when I had Traveler's Insurance, they covered the loss due to theft of several of my planes and radio/flight line gear. Tower Hobbies was really happy with the huge number of orders I placed back then....

BarracudaHockey 01-30-2022 01:13 PM

AMA has theft coverage as well. Takes a police report and a little bit of paperwork but they pay claims for that as well.

Raleighcopter 01-30-2022 01:15 PM

...and if your home policy has a deductible ($1000) I believe even though the ama is secondary, it'll fill in the deductible.

Propworn 01-30-2022 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Raleighcopter (Post 12713579)

I have basicly the same personal liability for 2 million however when I looked at the long form of my insurance policy there is a section called exclusions. Under these exclusions the address any hobby related items that can exceed 10 mph are excluded from coverage at any time. This includes the personal liability coverage. You should ask for the long form and see what exclusions there are. You might be surprised to find you may not actually be covered. My agent/adjuster did not know either until I brought it to his attention.