RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Don Muddiman Flying Machine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/8015992-don-muddiman-flying-machine.html)

Tweek 01-07-2009 08:29 AM

RE: Don Muddiman Flying Machine

ORIGINAL: rod5011

so when about is the release on the jerrys spoiler due? alot of guys in my club want one
We're working on, what I _hope_ to be, the last pre-production models right now. The last batch FINALLY arrived about 2 weeks ago (waayyyyy later than I thought!), and they look good except for about 3 little items. The price has over doubled since we started working on it a little over a year ago. Oh well...hoping in about 2-3 months, now.

Dave

Muddiman 01-26-2009 08:35 PM

Hello Dave. I tried to give you a call today but I guess you were closed. Well after many hours of documentation (notes and photos) of things that needed to be addressed in the prototype, I finally was ready to take the Flying Machine to the field this weekend. I put it through the paces, full throttle nose down snaps, spins, outside snaps, high G turns, knight flight, Knife edge loops, slow flight, the famous high speed dive into the wad up coming to a complete stop in the air, you name it I tried and could not tear the wing off. I have to say it's an ARF that fly’s just as a Flying Machine should, I never thought I could say that about an ARF but the time has come. I am very pleased with the kit, the covering and marking look awesome. The construction is top notch and meets the requirements other than some suggested changes that will make it a first class kit. I believe once the prototype is final and in production it would take no longer than six hours or less to have it ready to fly. This sure beats spending forty plus hours building, covering and adding markings. I can now practice my death dive without the worry all that bench time building a new one. The weight ended up being two ounces lighter that my normal built-up Flying Machine. I used the following hardware: O.S. MAX 46AX engine, Master Airscrew 9 1/2 x 6 prop., Mac 7.5 unmuffled tuned pipe and header, Tru-Turn Spinner 2 1/4", 10% Byron Premium Sport fuel, Kraft 8 oz. fuel tank, Rossi #6 glow plug, Spetkrum DX7 TX, AR7000 receiver, 1100 MA battery pack, three DS821's and two MN48's for the ailerons. The biggest weight loss was from the ARF built-up wing as compared to the foam core wing 1 3/4 ounces difference.

Thanks again Dave for making this happen.

Later,

Don
www.eagle-i.us/fm

foodstick 01-26-2009 10:20 PM

I have seen that last minute pullout from a straight down dive a few times..it still scares me thinking of it...seems like he did it dead stick, then pulled out..flew some stunts on momentum, and landed with it usually rolling up to his feet..unreal...

Tweek 01-27-2009 12:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Muddiman

Hello Dave. I tried to give you a call today but I guess you were closed.
Excellant!! Yep, we're closed on monday through the winter months, but glad the flight testing went well. I'll give you a buzz tomorrow, so we can go over the last items for modification. I'm excited to see this kit become reality, there's a lot of folks looking forward to getting an ARF of this baby!

Dave

Dave McDonald 01-28-2009 12:05 AM

If Don likes the Flying Machine ARF........then all of us Flying Machine fanatics will like the ARF too.

I still want one!

East RC 01-29-2009 12:42 AM

Awesome, Don! Thanks for the updates and feedback. I would like to plan a trip in the near future to get some HD video footage of you and the Flying Machine in action. I'll get with you on the phone sometime this week to try and work it out. I'm about due for a long road trip anyway.

Chris Hockaday

Muddiman 01-29-2009 05:59 PM

Hey Chris. Come on down the weather is great! I was just talking to my best friend Dale the other day about getting some HD footage. I own an Canon HD camcorder and have access to a second one. We were planing to get some footage one weekend and putting together an updated video showing the FM ARF. I'll be gone on vacation the weekend of Feburary 7th and 8th so that weekend is out. Let me know?

Don

East RC 01-29-2009 06:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Muddiman

Hey Chris. Come on down the weather is great! I was just talking to my best friend Dale the other day about getting some HD footage. I own an Canon HD camcorder and have access to a second one. We were planing to get some footage one weekend and putting together an updated video showing the FM ARF. I'll be gone on vacation the weekend of Feburary 7th and 8th so that weekend is out. Let me know?

Don
That's great, Don! I am also running Canon gear. Sounds like we will be able to get a good variety of perspectives at once. I'm looking forward to it!

Tweek 01-29-2009 06:45 PM

I'd love to make the trek as well, though I'm tied up on the Indy dealer show (motorcycle) Feb 11-17th, then Daytona Beach somewhere around the first of March. Hey, that might be an idea, I'll be down that way for Bike Week, anyway...

Dave

East RC 01-29-2009 07:45 PM

That's the ticket! Let's plan for that if possible.

Muddiman 01-30-2009 10:13 AM

Sounds good guys I have no other pending plans for that weekend. :-)

John Wells 01-30-2009 04:22 PM

I want one! These are b@d@$$ fast and furious!

I'll keep watching this.

Dave McDonald 01-31-2009 09:58 PM

Can you give us a ballpark guess of the price for a FM ARF?
$100 ?
$200 ?
$300 ?

Any idea of a release date yet?

Tweek 02-01-2009 08:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Dave McDonald
Can you give us a ballpark guess of the price for a FM ARF?
$100 ?
$200 ?
$300 ?
Any idea of a release date yet?
Not yet, the market is all over the place, every time we order a batch of anything from overseas. Also, we're working on final pricing, and that is partially determined by whatever else we do to it before production. I'll venture to say that it'll be well under $200, unless the market takes a huge shift. Guessing, I think the release date will most likely be in the April-May timeframe. Once we get the pricing and delivery nailed down, we'll begin to take pre-orders on the first batch.

Dave

Dave McDonald 02-01-2009 01:11 PM

Dave,
Thanks for the update!
If you've got some spare prototypes to test, I'd be glad to help you out! ;)

A few days ago I posted a link to this thread on the P_R_O_B_R_O site because those guys are exactly the type of pilots who would be interested in a Flying Machine ARF. There even seems to be some interest among the younger bros whose only exposure to a Flying Machine is a video of Don Muddiman.

I rarely visit the "Questions and Answers" forum, and just happened to find this thread by accident. I'd be willing to bet the largest number of pilots that would be interested in a Flying Machine ARF tend to hang out in "Profile and Fun Flying Planes" forum. Perhaps starting a thread over there might generate some further interest?

firstplaceaviator 02-11-2009 04:53 PM

Just saw this picture on the RCU homepage and thought it deserved a place in this thread!

http://image2-5.rcuniverse.com/e1/ga.../lg-154906.jpg

Nutz4flying 02-24-2009 11:38 PM

So is there anyone out there that wants a Flying Machine who has never seen a Flying Machine fly? [sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]
Hi Dave,

I was looking for an "old school" sport plane for a first-time scratch build and I ran across Don's thread. I didn't see this thread or I might have waited for the ARF version. As it is, I ordered the plans from Don and began the build in January. I hope to enter the finished plane into our club's static contest in May. I took the plans to my last club meeting thinking that I'd blow the guys away with this cool looking plane. No such chance. Two of the more senior members in the club knew of the FM very well. One guy had built one years ago and sold it. Another guy had seen Don fly the FM in Florida. There goes the "surprise" for my static entry! I've finished the fuse and ready to sheet the wings. Now that I've seen the video, I'm more excited than ever to finish this project.

Tweek 04-18-2009 08:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
To update the thread a litte... Don has been testing two of the ARFs down in Fla, and putting them through the paces. He has come up with a few mods that are now being put into the production version to improve the design. The ARF is lighter than his show birds, and very strong. He's working on video of the latest of this design, I'll get it on the server once it's ready.

We're going to produce a version with the original Don Muddiman scheme as seen in these pics, an 'all white' version for those who want to blank canvas to decorate, and probably one more. I'd like to hear from folks to see what other color scheme might be desired.

Here are a few pics of the ARFs he's testing now:

Nutz4flying 04-20-2009 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Dave, the ARF is looking good. I just finished my scratch build from Don's plans. Here's my trim scheme:

Tweek 04-20-2009 06:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Nutz4flying

Hey Dave, the ARF is looking good. I just finished my scratch build from Don's plans. Here's my trim scheme:

Wow, that's a great looking color scheme! Have you flown it yet?

Dave

Nutz4flying 04-20-2009 10:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have not flown the Flying Machine yet. I still need to finish the servo linkage for the throttle and install the battery. I'm using an OS 46 AX with a 10x6 prop. I also changed the aileron to dual servos.

I took it to a club meeting tonight for show-n-tell. The guys really liked this plane. Here's a picture of the bottom. When the plane is rolling as fast as in Don's video, I don't think we'll be able to make out the top from the bottom - and it probably won't matter. :D

mikepress 05-11-2009 12:29 PM

Don,

This looks very similar to the version the easytigermodels.com is selling on their website for $499.00. Will you be be selling this model? If so for how much? It's a great looking plane and I would be interested.

Dave McDonald 05-11-2009 12:53 PM

I looked at easytigermodels.com but couldn't find any plane that resembled a Flying Machine. Can you post a direct link to that plane?

mikepress 05-11-2009 12:55 PM

I was refering to the Fiesler Storch.

Tweek 05-13-2009 07:18 PM

Did anyone get pics of Don Muddiman during his 2-day demo gig with the Flying Machine at Top Gun this past weekend??

Dave

Nutz4flying 06-15-2009 09:39 AM

The Flying Machine  took it's maiden flight this past Friday.  The grass was a little tall on our field so a straight taxi out to the center of the field was challenging.  Under full power for the takeoff, the FM tracked straight down the field and lifted slowly with just a touch of up elevator.  I needed one click of down elevator and one click of right aileron for hands-off stright and level flight.  I had programed a lot of expo in all the controls and the flight would have been better with half of what I had.  The FM is so fast that if it's not turning quickly enough, the plane flies out of the pattern quickly.  It's an adrenalin rush.  Even at 3/4 throttle, it's exciting to try and stay ahead of this plane. Response to inputs (once past my expo points), was quick and true.  Once safely back on the ground, I needed to collect my nerves so I only got this one flight in.  The Flying Machine is a winner for pure fun and excitement. 

Dave McDonald 06-15-2009 12:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Tweek

I think the release date will most likely be in the April-May timeframe.

So what's the latest update on the release date?

Tweek 06-16-2009 08:21 AM

So what's the latest update on the release date?
We're now looking at sometime in July. The Spoiler was delayed a bit, and isgonna be any day now, and the FM sould be about 2-4 weeks behind that. The factory made many changes per Don's recommendations and pictures he took of the prototypes he's now flying, so they should be solid as a rock.

Dave

Dave McDonald 06-16-2009 01:09 PM

Thanks for the update!

Nutz4flying 07-15-2009 02:13 PM

Dave, I know you were looking for ideas on trim scheme. Let me recommend that there be a lot of distinction between the top and bottom of the plane. My trim scheme is too busy and the plane becomes a blur in a snap roll, spin or just buzzing the field. I've not seen a picture of the bottom of your ARF, but hope that the bottom of the wing is solid yellow or something that will really stand out from the black and stripes on top to help folks like me that require visual reference to determine up from down. :D My trim scheme just adds some guesswork to already nail biting flight.

Nitro-Tom 07-31-2009 07:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Figured I would post my "Flying Machine"....had my local scratch builder do this project and it worked out better than I ever thought.:D

I like Red/White/Blue colors, so this way I did not have to wait longer for the ARF and did not have to put up with the black (Nothing personal Don!)

Don was also a huge help via Email with advise and details. The plans arived seemingly next day (Since I am in FL) and Joel (my builder) finished this in 2 weeks froms plans to field.

I have been putting on the finishing touches, such as wheel pants and moving the engine back as far as it can go. I will post final pictures tonight after the photo shoot, since this was 2 days ago.

I will also post a flight report Saturday, weather permitting.

Forgot to give my boy Dave a plug at ExclusiveDecals.Com for the graphics. Dave did a GREAT JOB! Makes the plane!!!!

http://www.exclusivedecals.com/

Nitro-Tom 08-01-2009 05:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Flying Report on my "Flying Machine".....Thing flew great....I balanced it right at 3" or a tiny bit forward....so it was a bit nose heavy....I may move the battery a bit back.

O/S .46 with a Mac pipe ran 100%!

Was about 10MPH straight down the runway and hot.....

Flew Great, Looked Great, Can't wait to get going on my new 90 size :D

Dave McDonald 09-18-2009 02:35 PM

Any word on the release date yet?

Dave McDonald 09-26-2009 12:09 AM

<knock............knock...............knock....... .......>

Hellllloooooooo!
Anybody there?

Is the Flying Machine ARF project still underway?
Or did it get cancelled?

(I still want one!)

Condor060 10-13-2009 01:31 PM

<div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="line-height: 115%; font-size: 9pt">I have been contacting East RC for 3 months about the Flying Machine. I was told via e-mail that the production was scheduled a few weeks out. Now they say there is no production date available and it could be sometime next year. They have other projects that have to be completed before the Flying Machine will get off the ground. </span></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="line-height: 115%; font-size: 9pt">I have to say I am very disappointed. I flew with Don and the Cloud Dancers late 70s through early 80s and this is the only plane of its kind. I have several friends that want one and from this thread it appears a few more are eager to purchase. I spoke with Don last week and he can&rsquo;t get an answer as to production dates either.</span></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="line-height: 115%; font-size: 9pt">Come on guys. What does it take to get this going. How many orders do you need to complete this task or is there something else in the way. I realize economic times are tough right now but it would seem this is a pretty popular aircraft and if you guys have the exclusive on the model it should turn numbers fairly quickly. I will purchase 3 and I know of a few more in my club that want the FM. I don&rsquo;t have a clue as to how many pre-orders there are but I would be more than happy to help generate additional orders if this is the answer. </span></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="line-height: 115%; font-size: 9pt">How can we get this bird in the air?</span></div>

rmazuera 12-06-2009 10:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just got tired of waiting for the ARF. Went to Don's web page and ordered the plans. Got them a couple of days ago and started building.

rmazuera 12-06-2009 11:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The fuselage is almost done.

Mode One 12-07-2009 07:43 AM

Wow, looks like it's a quick build! I bought the plans and a wing core from Don, down at Ida Grove in the early 1990s. he was apart of the show team down there and WOWed the crowd with some impressive flying. Some projects just seem to push off building my Flying Machine, every year! However, I need to build it, before my reactions get to slowed down by age!

Condor060 12-07-2009 09:30 AM

<div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt">I am sooooo jealous. I bought two from Don and haven&rsquo;t had the time to start them yet. Yours is looking real good. Mine are foam core wings. These flying machines are like cocaine. Once you get a taste for them its hard to put them down. Hope to see more pics of yours. Looks like a great build job you have going on.</div>

Dave McDonald 12-07-2009 10:37 AM

I am sooooo jealous.
Me too!!!!!

rmazuera, could you make a Flying Machine ARF for me too? :D