RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Don Muddiman Flying Machine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/8015992-don-muddiman-flying-machine.html)

rod5011 12-08-2009 09:47 PM

RE: Don Muddiman Flying Machine

no what you mean guys i am too tired of waiting i bought a progressive aviation flying machine kit off of eBay 2 years ago im thinking of busting it out and just build it

rmazuera 12-08-2009 11:12 PM

I'm done with the sanding of the wing. Not enough time today to work on the fuselage.
I'm not sure if I should install a YS-45 or a OS-50SX. The YS would have the tank as close as possible to the CG. The OS would have the tank in the front.
Another change I'm thinking on is built-up stab/rudder. It would save some weight in the back and would make it stiffer (so they say!)
I would like your thoughts.

Muddiman 12-09-2009 05:49 PM

rmazuera

Go with a OS MAX .55, it has the same foot print as the .40 does and provides awesome power and speed. Build it like the plans and the instructions outline or your asking for problems. Place the tank fully in the nose , battery behind the tank and servos against the back bulkhead three a breast. I am running the OS MAX .55 with a MAC tuned pipe, turning a Zinger 9x8 wood prop. Engine RPM is 15,800 static. If you want speed and performance this is the best setup I have ever had since I designed the aircraft in 1983.
Check out the mod page for the first proto-type ARF to get an idea of the servo position mounting. Do not use the EZ-Connectors seen in the images running the .55 engine setup, use clevises at each end of the pushrods and no Z-bends in the linkage rods. I have never had control surface flutter but with the increase in speed using this engine setup I have found it can happen on the elevator surface. Cut the bevel of the elevator hinge point < 25 degrees top and bottom to keep the gap as small as possible.

http://www.eagle-i.us/fm_arf/

Later,
Don

rmazuera 12-09-2009 06:08 PM

Don

Is it a good idea to do the lightening holes on the fuselage? Is the ARF plywood or balsa wood sides?

Muddiman 12-09-2009 06:43 PM

The ARF is 1mm plywood sides and bottom. If you look at the mod web page you can see I have ask them to remove the lighting holes under the wing cavity area. This will provide added stiffeness that I found was needed. The lighting holes behind the aft bulkhead has not been a problem in the ARF proto-type, but remember this is plywood not balsa. I was very impressed with the ARF quality and build other than the need mods required for the Flying Machine because of it's violent aerobatic flight characteristics. The proto-type ARF flies and performs it should and came out weighting about one ounce lighter than my standard builds, most of the weight saving is from the built up wing. I just lost the first proto-type a month ago after a year of flying from a radio brown out failure. I have since then built a new fuselage using the ARF wing. Getting the ARF into production in China has been a struggle beyound East R/C's control. From an earth quake, a cyclone and the original ARF company going out of business its a wonder we even received the first proto-type. Hopefully this will come to be soon as I am just as anxious to get one as the rest of us.

Later,

Don

www.eagle-i.us/fm

Dave McDonald 12-09-2009 06:43 PM

Don, is the FM ARF project still going? Or is the ARF a dead issue?

EDIT: Don, it looks like you were already in the process of posting the answers to my questions even before I posted them.

I still want a Flying Machine ARF. In fact, there is a thread on the ProBro site and has generated lots of interest there too.

Muddiman 12-09-2009 07:17 PM

The Flying Machine ARF project is still in the works. East R/C has selected and new manufacture for the kitting the ARF.

rmazuera 12-09-2009 09:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm glad the ARF project is till going ahead.
In the mean time, let's keep building.
I have done some work today. There is some stuff drying so I have time to post some pictures of today's work.

Bolio 12-10-2009 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Flying Machine designed by Don Muddiman.
This was designed around 1983, a friend of mine bought the kit in 1998 and stashed away all this years. He bought it at the Top Gun show where Mr. Muddiman was part of the noontime demo with the plane.
When I saw it he was so amazed that I know about the plane that gave it to me for free.
Is really old school building with foam core wings and balsa blocks fuse, sand till looks like the plan!!!
Here are the pics:

Hope to have it flying soon.
Thanks for such good design, Mr Muddiman.

Saludos.

rmazuera 12-10-2009 11:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bolio:
Did you reinforce the front of the wing with arrow shaft? I can't keep working today because I don't have anything to stick in the holes to reinforce the screws.
Attached you can see the wing before I drilled the holes.

Bolio 12-11-2009 01:35 AM

ORIGINAL: rmazuera

Bolio:
Did you reinforce the front of the wing with arrow shaft? I can't keep working today because I don't have anything to stick in the holes to reinforce the screws.
Attached you can see the wing before I drilled the holes.
Yep, the front holes have the carbonfiber arrow shaft reinforcement as per plan, but my wing is foam sheeted and yours is buildup.
In your wing I believe it will be a lot better to put some end grain balsa reinforcing the holes.
So far has been a cool build and hope to have it flying soon.
I will be testing the vertical full power snaps for sure!!!!![>:]

Stripes 12-11-2009 09:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I too was inspired by this thread and dragged out some plans I had bought from Don in the eighties. The wing is foam and it is powered by an OS FX 46 with a Tower muffler.

Yes, the blue is a visibility problem in the sky. I have to keep it close in.

rmazuera 12-12-2009 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Went looking for the carbon arrow shafts. Sports Authority didn't have them, Bass Pro Shop sold only a box of 12. Thank god I asked the guy in the fire arms counter. He had cut some arrows for a customer and had some small pieces he gave me for free. I'm back in business. Did some work.

rmazuera 12-17-2009 09:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was able to work on it for a while today. Rudder and elevator servos installed and connected.

rmazuera 12-20-2009 11:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started covering the wing. Finished with the bottom of the wing.

rmazuera 01-10-2010 07:40 AM

Flying Machine is ready. I am in the process of balancing it and have a problem. There is nothing in the front other than the engine and it is still nose heavy. Not by a lot, but...
I was wondering if any of you find any difference while flying the plane when the tank is full than when it is almost empty. In other words, is the plane very sensitive to the balancing?

Rodrigo

Muddiman 01-10-2010 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Rodrigo,

Balance is not that critical on the Flying Machine. Balance the aircraft CG in reference to the
plans, slightly nose heavy emty is ok. If you installed the radio and battery per the attached image your balance will be correct.
http://eagle-i.us/FM_Images/

Best Regards,

Don

rmazuera 01-10-2010 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Don.

I thought I was going to maiden it this weekend but weather was too cold. Hopefully next weekend gets better. This is my FLYING MACHINE!

airbusdrvr 01-11-2010 07:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Muddiman

The Flying Machine ARF project is still in the works. East R/C has selected and new manufacture for the kitting the ARF.
I hope your ARF maker is different from the one SIG uses for their Four Star 120. I bought one of those recently and the glue, or lack thereof, was horrible. First of all, what glue there was was like wax. Secondly, only about 1/3 of the joints had any glue. Thirdly, the joints that did have glue could just be pulled apart without breaking the blasa/ply joint.

daven 01-12-2010 10:21 AM

Every time I see a thread about this plane, I know I gotta get one. Wish I had bought that one I saw sitting on the shelf in Milwaukee, probably long gone my now.

Bolio 02-01-2010 04:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It finally flew!!
What a great plane, flies fast and makes the most violent snaps I have ever been able to make!!!
So far I'm getting used to the plane but the blenders are out of this world!!!
Kind of cushioning the plane at the bottom of the blender!!! Vertical down, full throttle, full left aileron and Snap!!!! Appears that the plane hit something in the middle of the air!!!:O
Here are some pics.

Thanks to Mr. Muddiman for such a great design.
Saludos.

Jaime_sarabia 02-02-2010 02:50 PM

it flew quite well... and here its the video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvQQqIqlAO4

enjoy...

Bolio 02-02-2010 03:00 PM

Great job on taking the vid Jaymz!!!!
Thanks for let us watch it.
Saludos.

sticks-RCU 02-15-2010 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It sounds like all of us with this plane have the same problem, just finishing the thing. Here is mine, I got it out and started working on it last week. It has been framed up for about five or six years, now all I have left is the radio gear installation.

rmazuera 02-15-2010 07:10 PM

Mine flew a couple of weeks ago. I am not very happy with the colors of the plane. They just don't have contrast. You don't know if it is upside down or if it is coming or going. At the speed this plane flies, it is not fun knowing what is going on up there.
I'm already building #2 with some changes. The rudder and elevator servos are going in the back. For some reason #1 is nose heavy.

DGrant 02-16-2010 01:06 AM

Subscribing.. I've liked this plane since early '80's... It doesn't look like the ARF is available yet though.. but at least I can keep up with what you guys are doing with this plane. I also just ran across an ad for ByronFuels with Don Muddiman and his FlyingMachine recently, and that kind of stirred interest in this plane for me again. :)

paul.adams10 03-18-2010 06:30 PM

Have just purchased one of the original flying machines from a model auction. It looked so good, I could not resist. Can anyone please advise on control throws and Cof G I should use. I am an experianced flyer

rmazuera 03-23-2010 05:54 PM

Paul:
According to the construction manual when you buy the plans from Don, an initial setup would be: elevator 3/8" up and down; aileron 3/8" up and down; rudder 3/4" right and left.

Good luck.

xlr82v2 06-20-2010 11:18 PM

Does anyone know the status of the Flying Machine ARF???

I'd buy an ARF today... otherwise I'll have to dig out my plans and scratch one out this winter!

Dave McDonald 06-21-2010 12:01 AM

I'd buy a Flying Machine ARF today too.......if they were available.

Considering this thread is almost 2 years old, and still no FM ARFs available, it's looking like East RC changed their mind about producing them.

Maybe Don Muddiman can chime in to give us an update?

xlr82v2 06-21-2010 04:41 PM

Or any of the East RC Guys, would probably be better. Don Muddiman was just doing testing for them as I understand it.

East RC still has the FM on their website, but "isn't taking pre-orders".

What's going on guys? Will the ARF's ever come, or do I need to buy some balsa and dig out my plans [8D]?

Muddiman 06-21-2010 05:37 PM

I talked to Dave last week and he has received the second Flying Machine proto-type with all the mods I requested. The down economy has had a major effect on Dave's main business (Scoot Works) and all his time been dedicated in keeping it going. Scoot Works is starting to recover and that will give Dave some relief in pursuing the Hobby side once again. I should see the second proto-type soon and hopefully this will be the final product before going to full production.
Later,

Don
www.eagle-i.us/fm

Dave McDonald 06-21-2010 07:52 PM

Thanks for the update Don!

It's nice to know the FM ARF project isn't dead......just delayed.

xlr82v2 06-21-2010 11:01 PM

Thanks Don! I've been wanting a Flying Machine ever since I bought the plans from you several years ago... just never have had the time to build it, or other projects took precedence. But, I've decided that I WILL have one for next year... one way or another;)

:) :D Or, maybe this season [8D]

Do you still recommend standard servos, or what equipment do you recommend these days?

Muddiman 06-30-2010 04:43 PM

Standard servos are fine for .4x engines, but I would upgrade the rudder servo because it takes a beating on the ground and in the air.

Later,

Don

rmazuera 07-19-2010 05:45 PM

What is the status of the ARF?

roly1129 08-06-2010 06:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is mine ready for servos and a second one feady to cover for my son. O.S. 55AX on both. I build the second one in I think a record for me, It only took me 6 hours from marking the wood and cutting to final sanding. I need some rest now.

roly1129 08-10-2010 11:40 AM

My son did the first flight today on the new FM. Here is a video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAdUF_PNnZo[/youtube]

Condor060 08-10-2010 12:05 PM

Great flight. Boy that brings back some memories. Your son is a good pilot and that flying machine will certaily test his continuing abilities. I am from St. Cloud also and I am glad to see another generation of pilots flying one of the best RC planes ever concieved. Once you fly one of these you are hooked for life. Very good job.

roly1129 08-10-2010 12:16 PM

That is what I told him. I used to have one back on the early 90's, but when I got married flying kind da when out the door. Now 15 years later got back to the hobby with my 14 year old son and better pilot than me. He is only been flying for only 2 years. Thanks for your comments.