RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   All I see is boring planes and boring helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/8977019-all-i-see-boring-planes-boring-helicopters.html)

H5487 08-01-2009 06:28 PM

RE: All I see is boring planes and boring helicopters

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Biggest problem with most who are in the Sport today, they have not a clue how to build, or even have a desire to do so. They will fix the blame for that on everything from the kids being involved in sports, to their job. It's like we (those who have always built) didn't have kids, or jobs. It's all about being dedicated enough, or disciplined enough.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Bill,

I can't agree with you on this. It has nothing to do with dedication or discipline. You and I grew up in a different world than those just entering the hobby. In the 1960s, if we wanted something that wasn't commercially available, we either made it ourselves or went without. Therefore, many of us learned how to build things and use tools. These days, there are so many products available to the consumer in an amazing abundance, nobody really needs to build something that they want. Therefore, many folks grow up without the slightest idea of how to use the tools that you and I take for granted. A good example is a comparison of the common hardware stores that you and I had in our neighborhoods when we were growing up, compared to the mega hardware stores that are in every major city now. Want a particular color of garden hose? Lowes has 5,523,683 different colors to choose from. You and I only had green, green, or green to choose from. [:o]

It's not that the current generation isn't disciplined or dedicated enough to learn how to use tools; it's simply that they don't have to. Society has changed. (Whether it's for the better or worse remains a whole different discussion.)

Sorry, but ARFs are likely here to stay and kits will probably get no more than a small shelf in the back of the hobby shop.

Harvey

jeffEE 08-01-2009 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
But just think of the thrill of being the person that brings the "different" plane to the field. And the bigger thrill of saying, "Its not an ARF, I built it." Now THAT puts a smile on a builders face. And if you start bringing nice different planes to your field, others will want to bring their's out and soon your fiels is a great field to fly at. Thats a good thing.

mike31 08-01-2009 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Definately not boring and sure ain't no cookie cutter variety!

Live Wire 08-01-2009 07:40 PM

Just think :eek:We are the ones that started this mess way back in 1492, Then we needed some thing to make the country equil like the constitution off the US and the bill of right. When we can not even dicipline our kids or teach them the value of a dollar is something that has to be changed, OH that word [:@] Stimulus and Bailout where do the people think they are going[:@]
I Had better quit I was Raise with a Black snake whip and a riders Qwurt and live on 1k a month and still have MY HOBBY

Chevalier 08-01-2009 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am 33, young for a model airplane builder. I learned to build from my father, who was an elite scale builder and from a lot personal trail and error. While only having a fraction of pops ability, I still turn out some nice planes. For me, building is an important part of the hobby. Here are some of my planes: A giant scale decathlon, 4*40, a Hots ( a very cool design from the 80's) and a Sig Astro Hog.

Smacka 08-02-2009 02:04 AM

Stevenmax50 brought up a good point in that ARF manufacturers are only going to produce products that sell and hobby shops are only going to stock products that produce an income. That's Business 101 and cannot be argued. Nonetheless, it can still result in a boring walk down an R/C flightline sometimes.

Harvey
[/quote]

Harvey and Bug:
There are too many people who have lost touch with this hobby. This thread is a great example of what I mean. I have been flying since 1985, yet I still get excited every time I walk up to ANY flightline and see ANY plane in the air. I have never lost my boyish love for this hobby. There ARE no boring planes. If you think they are boring, go back to your job and put in some more overtime, then try it again. As the saying goes, a bad day fishing is still better than a good day working.

Sorry Bug, there are no panties on me to get in a bunch. You threw it on the table and stated "Opinions?", and I responded.

I have found that it is difficult to build a kit for the same price I can buy and build an ARF. My time is included in this statement because my time is worth more than either of the aforementioned.

Sorry folks, for me there are no boring planes. I love them all and will gladly fly them all. If Bug wants to "break from the pack", then he should by all means do just that But...but...but...do not look back and complain when everyone else does not follow his lead. Last I checked, we all have a right to make our own choices, regardless of who thinks it is boring.

That's all I am saying...no anger...no panties in a bunch...no emotion what so ever...

Now, get off this thread and go fly, dammit :)

rgm762 08-02-2009 08:55 AM

here's my take on some of this, on the time and dedication thing, I'm 46, my father is 80, his generation was/is allowed to tell their wives, you will cook, clean and take care of kids while I get to do my thing and society accepts that, I on the other hand have two ex-wives who went and got lawyers and a couple of judges who then proceeded to tell me that I WILL sacrifice some of my time for my things to help with the house work and raising of the kids OR pay large amounts of money each month and society supports them :D, as for the planes all looking the same, how many of us live in a house that looks just like our neighbors?

KiwiKid 08-02-2009 09:57 AM

I am still a bit of a noob, but getting a bit more adventurous. I have found there is a huge variety of ARF and Semi ARF's around if you hunt them out and its not hard to create a fleet with a lot of variety in it, particularly if you are into electrics. Here's my current fleet: http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...y&memid=158340

This guy is my complete hero:):) http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...32011&pageon=1

Stickbuilder 08-02-2009 10:27 AM

ORIGINAL: 5487

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Biggest problem with most who are in the Sport today, they have not a clue how to build, or even have a desire to do so. They will fix the blame for that on everything from the kids being involved in sports, to their job. It's like we (those who have always built) didn't have kids, or jobs. It's all about being dedicated enough, or disciplined enough.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Bill,

I can't agree with you on this. It has nothing to do with dedication or discipline. You and I grew up in a different world than those just entering the hobby. In the 1960s, if we wanted something that wasn't commercially available, we either made it ourselves or went without. Therefore, many of us learned how to build things and use tools. These days, there are so many products available to the consumer in an amazing abundance, nobody really needs to build something that they want. Therefore, many folks grow up without the slightest idea of how to use the tools that you and I take for granted. A good example is a comparison of the common hardware stores that you and I had in our neighborhoods when we were growing up, compared to the mega hardware stores that are in every major city now. Want a particular color of garden hose? Lowes has 5,523,683 different colors to choose from. You and I only had green, green, or green to choose from. [:o]

It's not that the current generation isn't disciplined or dedicated enough to learn how to use tools; it's simply that they don't have to. Society has changed. (Whether it's for the better or worse remains a whole different discussion.)

Sorry, but ARFs are likely here to stay and kits will probably get no more than a small shelf in the back of the hobby shop.

Harvey
Harvey,

If that's truly the case, then there is no need for people to complain about seeing the same models at the flying field every weekend. They should just accept that they are all going to be cookie-cutters. Me, I'll roll my own.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Mack66 08-02-2009 10:33 AM

Wow! Pizza Hut vs Papa John's!! That's what I'm talkin' about!

You'll have to dig way back to the beginning of this thread to figure out I'm talking about building out of pizza boxes.

I'm an old newbie, so it all looks fun and interesting to me. Certainly I would try to build a JKARF first before attempting scratch builds. I am way short on the required skill set. So get used to my boring helis and store boughts and help mentor me out there and maybe just maybe I'll build a Huey UH-1C with guns and rockets from scratch and bore you with flybys and air cover.

Mack

tenacious101010 08-02-2009 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I did my part today to relieve some from the boredom and took my near completed Giant P-47 in Mexican Air Force colors from WW2, hmm, there wasnt any like it at the field today. The young crowd seemed to enjoy it.
Denny

pullup 08-02-2009 12:20 PM

Pretty airplane! another stunner Denny!

pull

GerKonig 08-02-2009 01:14 PM

I belong to a small club, and really only some models flown there are inspiring. Two of our old master builders passed on... So, what do I do to get "inspiration". I go to 1/4 scale meets. I live close to Philadelphia, and I go to 2 warplane meets in NJ, and one or 2 in PA, and also to Warbirds over Delaware. I try to go to Rhinebeck when I can. This year I missed Warbirds over Delaware becuse I was in Hilton Head Island, but I will attend Rhinebeck the 12th of September.
I also attend regular 1/4 scale meets (nott warplanes) in NJ and PA. At these meets, if you are dreaming of building (or if you are building) for axample a DVII or a Nieuport 17, or a DVIII you get to see them close up, and talk to the builders. Also, you get to see a lot of other masterpieces that can get your juices going:-)
I also like to go to aeronautical museums every time I travel, and to full size airshows. I find all this inspiring:-)

Good luck

Gerry

PlaneNuttz 08-02-2009 02:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

You go to the wrong fields.

Thats so True! Why dont you take the inititive and change it in your own hanger. I Do! Take the boring out of your own field.

BUDMAN27 08-03-2009 08:40 PM

Get to work Bug. ;)

init4fun 08-05-2009 05:13 PM

One cure for the common arf is to do a little customizing to make it different than the other 5000 that it looks just like . One of my favorite things is to remove ALL stickers , labels , and product logos from my arfs , this results in a cleaner look and ive actually had some be mistaken for home builts {i ALWAYS fess up and tell them its an arf !} . Minor cosmetic changes can go a long way in individualizing just about anything . Being an experienced builder does help , even if im not building a plane from scratch or kit .

dragonov3 08-06-2009 03:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I try not to build boring planes. At least ones that are not boring to me. I recently acquired a world models midget mustang NIB. One of the few arfs i don't see very many of, definitely not boring IMO. BTW I love the picture of that hot canary, recently acquired one of those kits. Cant wait to build it. A few photos of my current project GP Ultimate bipe .40. Hope to have it finished soon.

chaz@2b 08-06-2009 03:46 PM

Reading thru your lines, is it because your rich and have too many planes and take them all for granted,maybe loose a few and appreciate what you have left ,boredom is only brought on by lack of imagination,i1ve done a lot of different flying ,full size-hang gliding,paragliding...but i still find model flying more exciting and it has lots of different ways(models) to explore what i enjoy in life. There was a time when i felt everyone was flying the same, but it`s not what they are flying,more, how they are flying,see it from natures view and enjoy your hobby. chaz

tiger90 08-08-2009 07:40 PM

I feel the that business practices are having a lot to do with it. It is not cost effective to stock planes that don't sell very well. If you will notice there is a lot more variaty in electrics and electric foamies. for one reason about all the rc mags. are talking up the electric planes and helis. I am a little old fashioned, I still like the smell and the mess that goes with glow fuel.
A friend of mine has a p51 from hanger 9, he said it flys like a brick.

The 4 stroke is a great sounding engine

planebuilder66 08-09-2009 06:44 PM

Holy crap BarracudaHockey! you fly next to a nuc plant! if so I give you nads, they would 50 cal ours out of the sky if we tried that here in CT. I'm hoping that's a landfill plant.