RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   All I see is boring planes and boring helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/8977019-all-i-see-boring-planes-boring-helicopters.html)

Bugalooob 07-30-2009 04:31 PM

All I see is boring planes and boring helicopters

Everytime I go to the field I see the same cookie cutter boring planes (Yaks, Extras and sticks), their a dime a dozen now and its getting old, Its worse with the copters, everyone has the same bike helmut design.. Its very rare I see a scale plane or chopper, a Huey or a p-47 Thunderbolt would be nice to see once in a while...I think many flyers are a bit scared to fly scale...OPINIONS?

gboulton 07-30-2009 04:35 PM

RE: All I see is boring planes and boring helicopters

Very few builders remain. [:o]

Red Scholefield 07-30-2009 05:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You go to the wrong fields.

Gremlin Castle 07-30-2009 05:35 PM

Bugaloob like Red said check some other fields. Check my gallery pictures here on RCU if you want to see a wide variety of non cookie cutter airplanes.

ctdahle 07-30-2009 06:19 PM

Used to be that everyone had a Super Kaos or an Ugly Stik...but at least they all had different color schemes.

Red Scholefield 07-30-2009 06:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Bugalooob

Everytime I go to the field I see the same cookie cutter boring planes (Yaks, Extras and sticks), their a dime a dozen now and its getting old, Its worse with the copters, everyone has the same bike helmut design.. Its very rare I see a scale plane or chopper, a Huey or a p-47 Thunderbolt would be nice to see once in a while...I think many flyers are a bit scared to fly scale...OPINIONS?

What do you take to the field to break the monotony? :D

weathervane 07-30-2009 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like flying out side of the box.

I have a plane with an aluminum gutter down spout for a fuse. I built, flew and crashed a plane that I built out of a real pizza box. I have a plane called a Yard stick. Kinda like a big Tella master. I have the normal planes as well, but I love to fly stuff the war bird / aerobatic guys would never think of flying. If I can make a club member go WHAT is that!! then I have done my job.

-Andrew

Red Scholefield 07-30-2009 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: weathervane

I like flying out side of the box.

I have a plane with an aluminum gutter down spout for a fuse. I built, flew and crashed a plane that I built out of a real pizza box. I have a plane called a Yard stick. Kinda like a big Tella master. I have the normal planes as well, but I love to fly stuff the war bird / aerobatic guys would never think of flying. If I can make a club member go WHAT is that!! then I have done my job.

-Andrew
Remember the SPAD craze a few years back?

weathervane 07-30-2009 06:43 PM

Not totaly. I have not been flying that long. I do have a BIG pile of coro though. I an looking to make a real big plane with it. It will be so cool. I just need to finish some other projects first.
-Andrew

Live Wire 07-30-2009 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not to many Cookie Cutters here:D I am still a builder, or rebuild the Cookies;)

speedy72vega 07-30-2009 09:16 PM

Hey Red, I LOVE that twin rotor plane of yours, I would love to see that thing flying in person....very cool.

Aside from that, I will admit that I have an Extra 330 and a Mini Ultra Stick, bit I also fly a GP P47, and an Eratix 3D. The P47 is a fantastic little plane to fly, as is the Eratix! I higly recommend them.

outdoorhunting 07-31-2009 06:32 AM

Hey, Livewire. I see how ya got that "high score" now. I'll give you a double 5!! All those beeeautiful planes. Nice!!!

BarracudaHockey 07-31-2009 07:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Boring helis??

Stickbuilder 07-31-2009 10:24 AM

Here's an original thought for you: If you are bored by seeing the same airplanes time after time, build something original. Of course, some Nimrod will ask where you bought it.

Bill, AMA 4720

Scar 07-31-2009 10:46 AM

Congratulations, Bugalooob. Very effective troll.

DreamingTree1027 07-31-2009 01:06 PM

Aerobatics and 3d are the popular planes now. It changes back an forth from model to model. Before it was Yaks now a lot of Edge/extras. I for one like to push myself with the airplane. I am not afraid to fly scale, but how many times can you do a low pass and still be excited. Try harrier rolls on the deck that is tough stuff. I am not saying that scale sucks. I enjoy flying scale every so often but I can't only do it. I am sure all of you disagree and could fly scale all day long, good for you its a hobby do what makes you happy.

I for one am relatively new, compared to some and can not afford to buy several hundreds in tools to build when that can buy me a plane to put together in 2 days with tools I already have. This will probably start the ARF/Kit arguement but I like to fly. I build so that I can fly. It might change in the future but for now I am happy. Lots still build and I am jelous of the time and effort they put in and the results they get. ARF's are easier, thats why people buy them and thats why you see similar planes out there.

All Just my opinions of course

barndawg77 07-31-2009 01:25 PM

...Or guys like me with no talent for kit building...LOL!

Stickbuilder 07-31-2009 02:05 PM

Building is not a talent that you are born with, but rather a talent that you develop by practicing it.

Bill, AMA 4720

outdoorhunting 07-31-2009 02:07 PM

Great point Dreaming tree. That's what is great about this hobby.. There's plenty of room for everybody !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh. & Bugaloob you got a 5 Star for the thread. This should be very interesting.

bcovish 07-31-2009 04:25 PM

I enjoy the flying, whether it be my jet or my T-28 foamie. I'm not there to please anyone else, just me. Don't come on here and complain about what you're not seeing at the field. BTW, what kind of planes do you take to the field?

BTW, I fly "cookie cutter stuff" To each his own.

navihawk 07-31-2009 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres what i take to the field! Well not actually cus all doesnt fit in my small car lol. As you can see i have 2 foamies, the 3d foamie i built from plans, the other pusher is from a friend that makes them. Nitro funtana X50, An EDF jet, eletric rc car and nitro rc car. And a scale lancair. Most the guys i fly with have also a wide range of models from slow flyers, to home made folding airplanes made out of the signs you see on the sidewalks on the roads. Also fly helis. Like what bicovish said "I enjoy the flying". If i had more money i would defently have more different types of airplanes, i do need a warbird though a nice p-40 to finish my collection. About the yaks...I like acrobatic airplanes and i find the yak 54 to be the most beautifull acrobat ever, also the su-26 is a nice one too. Dont care botu how popular it is just as long as it looks nice flying.

Bugalooob 07-31-2009 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My club must be the oddball, you guys have some interesting aircraft..I'm like the only one who flys scale stuff...Heres some pics of my p-47, It was originally the bubble top version but I changed it into a razorback using plywood and aluminum, It was a pain in the arse but I don't think it turned out too bad...I hated the bubbletop, looked like the plane grew a boil on its back

tenacious101010 07-31-2009 05:21 PM

bcovish, he has the right to his opinion, if you dont like people expressing themselves, there are countries you might enjoy more than this one, try North Korea, or Cuba, or many of the other places where people are not able to have an opinion. You dont have to agree with him.

Bill Rademacher 07-31-2009 05:33 PM

Well, things can get boring after a while.

Of course, that's where fire comes in.....

billrad

adam41245 07-31-2009 06:01 PM

and if you don't like fire.... just turn on Live Wire's Sprinkler..............

Live Wire 07-31-2009 06:10 PM

Your going to have to be better than that to get points

COOL MAN COOL, See now this how you get points;):D:D:D

May I POINT out I did not start this MESS:eek:

bcovish 07-31-2009 06:27 PM

tenacious, you have expressed your opinion as I have in the previous post. All's right with the world. Now let's have a group hug.:)

SoCalSal 07-31-2009 07:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Here's an original thought for you: If you are bored by seeing the same airplanes time after time, build something original. Of course, some Nimrod will ask where you bought it.

Bill, AMA 4720
Sounds like he is ready to build his own!! Go for it!! You'll learn and enjoy a part of this hobby that few have the time, skill, or desire to do. Just like it states above...someone will ask you "Who's kit is that?" That alone is worth the time and effort it takes to build your own.

Stickbuilder 07-31-2009 08:30 PM

ORIGINAL: SoCalSal

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Bill, AMA 4720
Sounds like he is ready to build his own!! Go for it!! You'll learn and enjoy a part of this hobby that few have the time, skill, or desire to do. Just like it states above...someone will ask you ''Who's kit is that?'' That alone is worth the time and effort it takes to build your own.

I sure hope so. I'm tired of going to the flying field, and here comes someone with his new ARF, and he's asking me how I like it......... I try to be nice, but Lordy, it's hard not to tell him how much I don't like it, or any of the other 95 that are just like it. How do they tell which on is theirs?

Bill, AMA 4720

LuckyArmpit 07-31-2009 08:53 PM

Our field, mostly trainers. There are a few of us that don't fly trainers. One guy and his son bring some really nice WW II aircraft, both german and US. Its like watching a WW II movie.
For me, I fly just about anything. Just finished converting a Gee Bee .25 size over to electric. No one that I've seen at our field and the fun fly's I"ve been to has had a Gee Bee.
Also no one in our club has brought a jet to the field. Not even the smallish 16 oz. types. I also completed an F-22 Raptor. Not big and its all foam but it does have twin fans and motors.
I don't own a cub. Simply because everyone has a cub. Do have a Taylorcraft though so it sorta does blend into the family.
I don't really pay attention to helis much. Not my bag. All the guys that fly helis do the same aerobatics. Good for them but I could care less.

Lucky...

JollyPopper 07-31-2009 09:43 PM

Whether this was a troll or not, you have to understand that those folks are not buying and flying for your benefit. They are buying and flying what they can afford and enjoy. If it doesn't thrill you, oh well. They are enjoying it it or they'd quit doing it. At my field, and it is not a large membership, I have seen everything from the old 10 cent balsa gliders that he has put tiny electric pusher motors on and flies around in about a 30-40 foot circle and enjoys the hell out of doing to 1/2 scale multi thousand dollar models turning huge props on gigantic gas engines. Never boring at this field. And in between flights, we sit and tell each other lies that would entertain anyone. You're at the wrong field;).

MetallicaJunkie 08-01-2009 02:13 AM

My club must be the oddball, you guys have some interesting aircraft..I'm like the only one who flys scale stuff...Heres some pics of my p-47, It was originally the bubble top version but I changed it into a razorback using plywood and aluminum, It was a pain in the arse but I don't think it turned out too bad...I hated the bubbletop, looked like the plane grew a boil on its back

i guess after those pics, you redeemed yourself ....lol[X(]

outdoorhunting 08-01-2009 08:25 AM

I wondered if anybody else seen that sprinkler. That sure would ruin Sir Live Wire's day !! I hate to even think about something like that happening ..

carrellh 08-01-2009 09:25 AM

We have a combination of 'cookie cutter' and 'original.' Most of our planes are pretty small. A few have gas engines up to a G38 or G45 class but most are 120 size and smaller. Most of us do not have models with retracts.

We rarely have anyone flying a heli so they always seem 'new' when we see one.

I have kits and ARFs. I like flying my ARFs, and have fun doing it, but there is not the feeling of accomplishment that I get when I fly one of the planes I built.

I am not really interested in having detailed scale models. I like seeing them but I do not want them.

Live Wire 08-01-2009 10:26 AM

My yard:eek:
I can grow what I want. The grass is fake I don't like real grass[:@]

JollyPopper 08-01-2009 12:30 PM

Hey, Live Wire, what is that white bipe in the foreground? Beautiful.

Stickbuilder 08-01-2009 01:14 PM

JollyPopper,

I can answer that one for you![8D][8D] It's a WACO, either a YMF or a UMF. It's probably a UMF, since the kit that it's from was mis-labeled, as a YMF, but used the cowl from the Continental engine. It's okay though, because you can now order the correct YMF cowl from Stan's Fibertech.

Bill Waco Brother #1

H5487 08-01-2009 01:47 PM

Hey Bug,

I agree with the meaning of your post in that there seems to be a lot of identical planes on the field these days. Here's what I think happens...

A guy (or girl) meets someone who is into R/C and before long, he or she becomes interested in the hobby and wants to give it a try. So the friend suggests that they buy a cheap RTF (or even an ARF/radio combo) so that the newbie can see if this will be a lifelong interest or just a passing fad without having to invest a lot of money or time to find out. So far so good.

The newbie has a really good time flying the cheapie and eventually wants to move up to something better. So they buy a bigger ARF and continue to have fun boring holes in the sky. Eventually, someone suggests that they try building a kit. So the newbie buys one (and I don't know if you've taken much notice in kit prices these days but the non-junk ones aren't cheap) and after shelling out a good percentage of their paycheck for a kit, engine, wheels, covering materials (and all of the other supplies and tools the guy at the hobby shop can talk the newbie into buying), the newbie takes the stuff home all excited to be embarking on a new facet of this great hobby.

The newbie opens the box on the kitchen table and is immediately hit with a lack of confidence in their ability to turn the bewildering mass of balsa into something that might eventually look like the picture on the box. Uh oh, not a good sign. "But the guy at the hobby shop PROMISED me that this is going to be easy!" Well, the newbie spends the first evening cutting balsa into the wrong lengths, occasionally cutting his fingertips and gluing the balsa AND his fingertips into something that doesn't even come close to anything in the color picture on the box. After a couple of hours of this, the newbie says "Screw This!", slides the box under the bed and buys one of the fancy PREBUILT Yaks, Extras, or Stiks. And because of the bad memory of that night at the kitchen table, this person will probably forever show up at the field with the ubiquitious Yak, Extra, or Stik ARF.

How did this happen? Well, maybe it was the kit manufacturer's fault by labling the kit as great for beginners even though it didn't include instructions clearly written with a beginner in mind. Maybe the hobby shop (or discount store) guy was to blame for talking the beginner into buying an expensive and complicated kit all for the sake of making a big sale. Maybe it was the "someone who suggested that the newbie try a kit" who pointed the newbie towards the hobby shop, even though that someone had no desire or time to teach the newbie how to build. (Maybe all of us builders on RCU, who insist that building is the ultimate R/C satisfaction, also contribute to that problem?)

Anyway, the above may be just my own opinion but it is also a fact that building from kits or scratch just doesn''t appeal to everyone. And for those, ARFs and RTFs are their only way to fly R/C. And I guess that's still a good thing.

Harvey
(A builder)

tenacious101010 08-01-2009 02:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Harvey, I have to agree with you wholeheartedly, the hobby can be a victim of many of the situations you stated. Anyone that has built a kit and especially if you bash it trying to make it a bit nicer by adding details and more scale parts, often the kit is the cheap part of the process. I was at a local hobby shop wanting some #4 X 1/2 inch screws. I needed 28 of them. I found a pack of four of them for only $3 and some change, that would have been $24 for enough screws to hold the heavy duty Control horns on my plane. I wondered why a hobby shop would sell them like this, but not in larger quantities that a hobbyst would need. Maybe there is not enough profit margin for them to mess with quantities of screws? I have heard many hobby shop owners goiding people in the direction that is not in the best interest of someone trying to get into the hobby. The term ARF is such a joke, maybe NRARF (NRARF) would be more accurate, at least we could trust what was printed on the boxes. Thank goodness that RCU is here so people can learn the hobby from the people that would like people to enjoy and succeed in the hobby instead of profit from it. Add the time required for most kits to be built, it is no surprise that ARFs are so popular.
Its like cars, there are only so many manufacturers, pick one and drive it. At best add some trim, wheels and some paint, otherwise its the same most people drive. Even in cars I enjoy variety, if you want to be different, make it yourself.
The world is changing, not many people build their own cars or planes any more. Thanks to all that take the time to build the airplanes, cars and other works of art we can all enjoy.
Denny

PS I enjoy kit built unique planes the most, even my RC plane hauler is kinda a custom built .

stevenmax50 08-01-2009 02:44 PM

Hi fella's.  To carellh...I started out in this hobby back around 1986.  I was in the Northlake RC club at .....of course, Northlake.  It is in Irving TX, in sight of Texas stadium.  I apublic park with tons of members.  It had, if I recall correctly a 650 ft long, 75 ft wide paved runway and excellent facilities for pilots and spectators.  I know its a little of a drive from Garland.  But not that much really on the expressway.  Ever check it out?  There are so many planes there that the odds are you will see something unique fairly often.  That is assuming of course that the city hasnt changed everything.  
As to the original posters comments, it is cool to see something unique.  But since I had a layoff from this hobby for many years, I am basically still a beginner.  I also fly off grass at my local club here in Alabama now and it is very rural.  It will be a couple of years before I get up to Scale caliber again.  And I definatly want something other than cookie cutter.  My mom is full blodded German and I had Uncles in the German army and nave during the war.  No fliers.  But because of my heritage I want to build a German WWII and II warbird.  I do not see any of those at my field so I will be kinda unique when I do show up with one.  But my reason for building one of those is just because They are interesting A/C to me personally.  I cannot explain the reasoning behind everyones apperant desire to fly the same models at fiels after field.  But just seeing how popular ARF's are, I would guess that there are just not that many  builders out there these days.  Building is what I dig about this hobby the most.  But I seem to be in the minority.  I would bet that the ARF manufacturers stock the shelves with models that cost them the least to produce.  Mass production and all that.  Profits are king.  It is just not profitable to produce 12 differant airframes when you can sell as many by only producing 6.  The choices available probably lend to the problem you see.  Just my guess of course.  I could be full of dodo.