Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Carbon Fiber Push Rods ??

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Carbon Fiber Push Rods ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 07:36 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Carbon Fiber Push Rods ??

ORIGINAL: Cougar-RCU

Now to just find that tube someplace ! haha
Aerospace Composite Products is one good source. The .156" x .118" size fits the 4-40 nicely. They also have the .120" x .078" which fits the 2-56. Jeff's method is my method too...I've done that for many years on Pattern planes. I also use the tail of the thread to wrap the carbon tubing end and ca the thread in place. That's to keep any potential split from happening. I have also used aluminum tube over the end of the carbon and that work well too
Old 10-26-2011, 04:43 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a "formula" to use to determine how large a diameter CF rod you will need for a given plane? I know length would be a determining factor as well as load which may be harder to determine unless you use the MFG's recommendations for servo size/oz. of torque.

Ken
Old 11-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I still have and use the Dave Brown pushrods.

Probably not liked as much because of the thickness.

Anyone using the Dave Brown pushrods?

Charles
Old 11-04-2011, 05:56 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a BUNCH of balsa from a guy and there was a set of DB push rods in with the balsa. I plan on using them in a future project.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:00 AM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this.....

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Qo38850.pdf (188.9 KB, 205 views)
Old 11-25-2011, 09:14 PM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Scorpion Racing

We do it all the time for pylon airplanes. Here is a site that both sells the parts and explains how to do it: [link=http://www.darrolcady.com/Carbon_Fiber/carbon_fiber.htm]Darrol Cady[/link]

Scott Hartman does a good job showing it in a couple of his build threads:
[link=http://www.nmpra.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2710&start=10]Radio Installation[/link]
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10603350/mpage_4/tm.htm]post #78[/link]

I do mine the same basic way with a 1/8'' OD (.093'' ID) carbon rod, 2-56 (.093'' Dia.) control rods, 1/8'' ID aluminum tubing & JB weld. If you need a larger rod size, just take the control rod diameter, match it to the ID of the carbon rod, cap the ends with a matching piece of aluminum tubing and assemble it as shown in these examples.

Hope that helps some!
If you are using carbon rod how do you drill the rod to accept the fitting? I have used carbon tubes but never tried the solid rod, are the rods that much strounger than the tubes to make it worth the effort to drill out the ends of the rods?
Old 11-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Scorpion Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry PK, I should have said carbon tube (Hence the inner diameter & the outer diameter dimensions). The tubes seem stiffer than the solid rods to me, as I have both. The solid rods only really work in you use the solder link threaded couplers and attach them to the outside of the rods. (the couplers come in brass, steel & titanium). I feel that the solid rods flex more, and I don't trust the glue joint or the solder link enough. I have had the brass & steel ones both fail, and prefer the metal rods inserted in to the carbon rads with the brass or aluminum tubes over the ends.

sorry for any confusion!