Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Working with Bondo

Old 11-13-2015, 02:25 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Working with Bondo

I have 1/2gal can of bondo that has dried out. Is there a way to soften(thin) it so it is easier to mix with the hardner? I mixed a small amount and it is curing OK.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:56 PM
K. Barnes
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.evercoat.com/all-products...lastic%20honey

Evercoat is a competitor of Bondo. Their products are available at automotive paint stores, auto parts stores, etc. I know O'Reilly's lists Plastic Honey on their website, so it should be in their stores. I have used Plastik Honey, and it works great for thinning polyester body fillers (bondo).
Old 11-16-2015, 03:16 AM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

styrean
Old 11-16-2015, 09:37 AM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Sid,I just picked up a pint of Bondo brand polyester resin yesterday at my local Auto Zone for about $16.00. The quart would have been a better buy at about $21.00, but since I do most of my glass work in epoxy, I was concerned that the extra material might solidify on the shelf before I used it all. Anyway, the correct thinner is a styrene monomer thinner, which might be difficult to locate, and is pricey, so a suitable alternative is to thin your Bondo with polyester resin. Don't try to reconstitute the whole container of Bondo, just mix up enough for the job at hand. Either the "cream" hardener, or the clear liquid MEKP will work, but it might be a good idea to try a trial batch to see if the cure time is affected. Good luck, Greg
Old 11-16-2015, 04:12 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for the suggestions