Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Fabricate your own prop.

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Fabricate your own prop.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 05:10 PM
Joseph Frost

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Fabricate your own prop.

Just can't get the micro light props for slow flying scratch built micro light models the size I'm after. I'm contemplating to laminate/fabricate my own as an experiment using some light FG cloth like Gator silk. I'm after something like 10 to 12 inch x 2.3 or 2.5 very low pitch style of props as light as possible, lets say 3 grams or less?
Any tips or hints?

Few modified ones, still too heavy so thinking to create my own by fabrication.
Old 08-29-2022, 01:23 AM
Joseph Frost

When you can't buy it, making your own is another alternative. I wonder, will it work?

My first atempt to scratch build balsa wood CF reinforced low pitch prop.
Old 08-29-2022, 05:07 PM
Joseph Frost

I was going to laminate it with silk, but probably not needed to add on extra weight.

Old 08-30-2022, 12:13 AM
Joseph Frost

After few coats of laminate it didn't add on any weight, when dried up, balanced to perfection, the motor was modified by adding extra shaft for more reliable service. Micro speedy is on the way before the hook up and exitment of running trials.

Even more exitment in my RC hobby, now creating my own scratch build props.
Old 08-30-2022, 06:15 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Good job. The free flight rubber power community has been making their own props for years. It would be too long winded for me to provide a tutorial on the subject, but you could search for appropriate articles. For years these modelers carved their own props. Then they developed ways to wrap balsa sheet around cylindrical objects to make propeller blades. I've even made fiberglass, and carbon fiber blades. Great prop blades can be made from foam hot drink cups. There is a lot involved, but it's not rocket science. you will need to understand helical pitch, and how to achieve it by angling the prop blanks approximately 15 degrees on the mandrel. It's hard to tell from your picture, but it doesn't look like your prop blades change pitch from the root to the tip, or true helical pitch?
Old 08-30-2022, 11:57 PM
Joseph Frost

Thanks Greg for reminding me, while living in Sth/H/Lands quater century ago I had some fun flying those rubber powered micro lights with hand made balsa props in the brand new huge basket hall the Council just completed, I was leasing it for 5bux (OZ) an hour, those were the good old days. Even more fun trying to get the model down without damage with made up 8m long poke stick after being tangled up in spider webbs, LOL.
There's a bit of difference in those and RC powered ones at 7K RPMs.
Yep, you right, us creative modelers can build just about anything if we set our minds to it.
I'm getting better with my 2nd. one, even con-caved after spending some 4 hours on it so far but only half finish.
Over the decades I must have modified hundreds plus props to suit my needs because I can never get the ones I'm after, easy fix, just cut it, re-shape it, balance it, and off you go. LOL. Cheers.

I paid more attention to this one.

Under 3 gram props.

Making my own props from whatever got on hand.

If I can't buy it I make it.

Custom made to get the best out of it.
Old 12-20-2023, 12:08 AM
Joseph Frost

Unfortunately some of my balsa made ones at miniscule weight are nowhere near to match PT Carbon Fiber ones from CZ, but recently started making my own composite Fiber Glass laminated to suit my Skeleton Giant, as I couldn't buy anything near to my requirement. The nearest one on market was APC14x4.7, still too heavy at 26grams so by slimming it down I have reduced weight to 22g.
Great performer, but my own design now the 2nd. one at 16x3.7 is much better, slower and more control responsive with a wider wash as my target.

Laminated prop in making.

Next to slimmed down APC 14x4.7

Scratch built and modified wood props from heavy IC wood.

Test run of my 1st.one.

2nd.one at 16x3.7 much better.

Giant indoor rolling circuits on the new prop
Old 01-10-2024, 12:25 AM
Joseph Frost

Couldn't be happier with the 16x3.7 Fiber/G one I made, absolutely brilliant set up in my Skeleton Giant, but only few days ago got some Carbon Fiber Cloth, 100GSM, but seem to be too course for what I was expecting at that weight so still fishing for something finer.
In the mean time I made my 1st. one, 4 layers of CF finished of with Fiber/glass and Gator Silk, only as an experiment at smaller size 15x3, before painting it, I gave it a perfect balance and the thing runs like a dream, smooth as a silk.
I like it so next one will be 17 incher at 3.