Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

mold stuck in plaster cast

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

mold stuck in plaster cast

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 01:15 PM
marc landry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mold stuck in plaster cast

I dug out a mold my Dad made for a stepping stone. It is not silcone, but a low temperature rubber type. It is sitting in a plaster cast to hold it's shape and it is stuck in it, slightly askew. I may have to just try it the way it is and see how it comes out.
When I try to carefully pry the mold off of the plaster, it is really stuck, especially around the edges. I really want to try to preserve it, as it is a momento from my Dad, who just passed. Any ideas on how to get it out? I just tried wetting it around the edges.
I think this afternoon I will just try to pour it "as is" because I am afraid I am going to ruin it. Does anyone have any tips on peeling it out from the plaster? If it does not come out good, positioned as it is, should I crack the plaster from below and try to wash it away. I'd really like to preserve it. If the one I pour today, using cement and mold release, comes out OK, what material would you recommend for making a new mold?
Old 02-26-2024, 02:59 PM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Any chance you have an air compressor and can try to jet some air into and around the seam?
Old 03-01-2024, 10:01 AM
marc landry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air compressor

Originally Posted by Outrider6
Any chance you have an air compressor and can try to jet some air into and around the seam?
Thank you I will try that this weekend!

Old 03-01-2024, 06:34 PM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I learned that trick, removing handlebar grips on motorcycles and bicycles. It usually works like a charm.