Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

sealing white foam for a plug

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

sealing white foam for a plug

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 06:32 PM
amtpdb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sealing white foam for a plug

I am sure it has been covered before but I can not find the answer. Years ago I started a foam plug about 7 feet long for a plane. I stopped as I did not know how to seal it to make it a plug. I have heard that you can use dry wall compond over the foam. Can you just paint it then wax and start the mold? I have read that others fiberglass the plug first. Is this necessary? If it is, do you fiberglass over the drywall compound or is the fiberglass for rigidity and then put on the compound and paint? I am all confused. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks for your time.
Don
Old 10-13-2003, 07:32 PM
Ed Smith

Default RE: sealing white foam for a plug

The drywall compound is spread over the foam plug to fill the bumps and cavities on the surface. It sands very easily and a reasonable surface will result. The surface will not be suitable for paint though, it wil not be that smooth. Foam White or blue is very easy to dent, even with finger pressure. The foam plug will need a couple of layers of cloth to help prevent this. After the plug is covered in cloth it will still need a layer of filler (Resin/microballons) to fill the cloth weave and seams. Then there willl be a lot of sanding, filling, sanding, filling ad infinitum.

It is sometimes quicker and cheaper to build a wooden plug in the first place.

Ed S
Old 10-13-2003, 09:25 PM
amtpdb

Default RE: sealing white foam for a plug

Ed:
Thanks for the information. That helps to clarify some of the things I have heard in the past.
Don