Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

feather cut power supply

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

feather cut power supply

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 05:03 PM
mogles
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default feather cut power supply

I was hoping to get more info on what one might use for power. I do not want to spend $140 and up for a power supply as I think is a bit expensive. Anyone is using a miniature train transformer? If yes, which one?

I've tried the dimer switch but done't work for me as I am using a regulated DC power supply (12 V) but I would like the option to lower the power between 8 to 12V.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:25 AM
XJet
Banned

Default RE: feather cut power supply

If you're talking about a power-supply for a hot-wire foam cutter then there's absolutely nothing wrong with using a transformer and light-dimmer. That's what I use and it gives me full control from luke-warm through to orange-hot.

Old 11-21-2003, 07:31 AM
Ed Smith

Why is there a need for an adjustable power supply? For years I have used just a car pattery charger. It is set at the 12v setting and runs at about 5amp. I cut mainly white foam. The system has always worked very well.

Ed S
Old 11-21-2003, 12:11 PM
davidfee

Ed,
It's nice to be able to control the temperature of the wire so you can adjust the cutting speed. The denser blue/pink/green/grey foams often require a bit more heat than the white bead foam. It's generally better to cut slow than fast, so you want this adjustable. Also, an adjustable supply lets you use different length bows (different wire resistances).

-David
Old 11-21-2003, 04:51 PM
Scott Smith
My Feedback: (4)

See this thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Foam...1268167/tm.htm
Old 11-24-2003, 02:30 PM
averen

My power supply cost about $24US. It consists of a 12v transformer from RadioShack and a dimmer switch from home depot (probably available from radio shack as well.) The transformer is rated for 120VAC input it has a 12volt output as well as a 6volt output. I think it's rated for 4 amps...it's been a while since I bought it. The dimmer is just a standard "inline" lamp dimmer. I added a power cord to the input of the transformer. Plug it into the lamp dimmer then plug the dimmer into the wall. This allows me to easily use different bow sizes and vary the temp for different types of foam. It will get hot enough to snap the wire.

I'll try and find the part number of the transformer when I get home.

Good Luck,
Averen.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:53 PM
mogles
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks much Scott. Definately the way to go. I've search high and low for something like that. This is chep and also alows me to grow in the event that I need to go for larger bow.

Thanks again.
Old 11-28-2003, 02:41 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I have been using a $6 dimmer switch that is fed directly from 115vac outlet. I have a switch in line with the dimmer so I can turn it off without losing the setting on the dimmer. Stainless aircraft safety wire works great. You need at least 4ft of cutting wire in the circuit for the dimmer to be effective. I have cut dozens of flawless wings over the years to feed my combat habit, and over the years have visited other flyers at their homes to see amazing contraptions used for cutting foam. One guy has a programmable robot [used for precision welding in industry] to guide his cutting wire .Formica is good template material, you can attach it to the foam blank with a couple drywall screws, or you can make negative templates that are permanently held in place on a board , this way all you have to do is butt your foam up to the template and go. The best way if you are building batches of wings.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:53 PM
code71b

I might be off base a little on this but here goes anyway.

Question #1 Do you carry a large life ins. policy? One that pays off double in case of an accident?

Question #2 Do you have a family or someone or more that cares for you? A dog. cat or any life form?

Question #3 Does your ins. policy pay off for Suicide? Double or nothing?

Comments meant in a firm informational and lifesaving manner are given next.

Your ins. company will look at your imminent death as a suicide. They won't believe that the accident WAS an accident. They will pay NOTHING to anyone left by your ACCIDENT. You will leave your loved ones penniless and with out YOU.

NEVER WORK WITH DIRECT AC. I REPEAT AGAIN. NEVER WORK WITH DIRECT AC. Fused DC works just fine.

To cut a piece of foam does not require you lay your life on the line each time. This is a HOBBY ONLY.
Ask for more info on line from those who know just a little more than you do about the subject. Its only to late after your electrocuted.
Our time on this planet is short enough. Live long and prosper, so the saying goes.

Please take this as a WAKEUP message. Well meant in the spirit of Goodwill and safety. Bill

My only hope is you have time to read this before we lose you to an Accident.