Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

9 ft CF KV fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 02:13 PM
raptor5900
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9 ft CF KV fuse?

i am going to sugest to my CAP sqd that we build a very large "muel" plane for camera, bomb drop, retracts, and flaps, for the education of the cadets (thats me but i'm the educated cadet) any way i'd like to make a compo fuse how much will it weigh will it need formers and such i'm thinking we will have $2000 plus to spend on it if i can clear it with the CO.......also where can i get a big Ar$$e gasser for it? i will make the wins and stab built up the wings will be 11 ft. thatnks for any help.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:05 PM
Mel Francis

Default RE: 9 ft CF KV fuse?

Ahh, the boundless ambitions of youth......

You know raptor, what you're describing is a huge project, especially in composites, with the plugs and molds and all that. How about scaling the size down a bit? You'll finish earlier, and true accomplishment is measured by completion, not necessarily by the size of the project.

If I were a cadet these days, I'd see that the future of military combat lies in UAVs and ROVs.

Why not propose to your CO, the construction or modification of an existing smaller R/C aircraft, to UAV specs. You and the other cadets would learn firsthand the basics of remote flight using video downlinks.

There's a whole forum on RCU dedicated to video and flying with a video-downlink over at the Aerial Photography section. Scroll down and check it out. A whole group of flyers are out there, who are experimenting with flying their R/C planes 'from the cockpit'.

You guys could build a small portable simulator to fly it from, or just use a set of VR glasses, whatever your budget permits. I built my own simulator, using a second hand TV. While I used a wheel and pedal set to control my vehicle, you could adapt a stick and pedal setup for your simulated cockpit.

This might be a project that your CO would really get behind, since you young guys need stuff that will really give you firsthand experience with the basic sort of hardware that you'll be using, if you do follow a career in the military.

Whatever the outcome, good luck!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64268.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	83072  
Old 12-17-2003, 04:31 PM
raptor5900
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: 9 ft CF KV fuse?

thats not a bad idea.......but the reason for making the big plane was for all kinds of expearaments like that and to show the effects of flying and the reason i wanted to make a big one is it would be easier for the less expearianced cadets build i would most likly do all the compo work and the plug and mold making.....but ya i guess so we could do that........the sqaudren also has some RC gliders so i was thinking we could take them up piggy back on this thing......and the only reason i wanted to make it compo is for weight and durability........so we could really do all we want with it and it would be kinda learning how a plane is built.........well i dont care i'm just going to suggest at my next boarder review.......I also know alot about compo and building planes so i dont think quality would be a problem.