Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Epoxy remover.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 08:37 AM
Marcos_Nieto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Epoxy remover.

Hi guys
Can someone tell me if there is a commercial product to remove cured epoxy?? If there is, can it be used safely on Monokote, wood, floor tiles, etc..??[sm=thumbup.gif]
Thanks

Marcos
Old 04-11-2004, 09:59 AM
Mel Francis

Default RE: Epoxy remover.

I'm sure there is a great story in here somewhere, that involves these three components, especially floor tiles, being 'coated' with epoxy. Did your container of mixed resin spill? I hate it when that happens!

I mix my sprayable primer in a glass container, and at one point, put a wet epoxy mixing stick in the container while working, and forgot about it.........for about a week.

Naturally, I wanted to get the hardened epoxy out, and tried every solvent I could think of, even strong paint stripper.

The paint stripper worked, slowly, with several applications. But It would have seriously attacked and destroyed any of the surfaces you mentioned.

At this point I would say there is no solvent that can break down epoxy without ruining the material it's bonded to.

Try careful sanding and chipping, and replace the floor tiles with new ones!
Old 04-11-2004, 11:29 AM
Marcos_Nieto

Thank Mel. I´m sure that at some point every air modeler have had one of these nasty experiences with all those bad cons. I´ve my self had tried almost every thing I can put my hands on to try and dissolve cured epoxy with no good results.....

Marcos
Old 04-11-2004, 09:22 PM
buttuh

I use a resin emulsifier to clean off uncured resin. Other than that the only thing that comes closest to being somewhat effective is acetone.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Don T. - NN4S
My Feedback: (1)

Have you tried soaking it in vinegar? I used to use white vinegar for epoxy cleanup, although I can't say that I've ever had to deal with quite the mess it seems that you've got there. Just figured I'd suggest it in case you hadn't thought of it yet...
Old 04-14-2004, 06:24 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

Best I can do is recommend preventive measures for next time. Use drop cloths, or do as I do, work over a concrete garage floor. I use course sandpaper to remove the spills.

Also keep denatured alcohol for cleaning up uncured spills, and any that gets on you.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:31 PM
lonestareracing
My Feedback: (14)

I dont want to sound stupid here but i always use alcohol to clean up epoxy. for hardend epoxy let it soak for a while till it gets soft then gently peel it up. you will have to work at it a little as the alcohol will evaporate over time, but trust me it will work and you probably have it in you shop.

I found out about it affecting hardened epoxy when a fuel tank leaked in a friends racer and the fiberglass fuse got real soft where the alcohol pooled up.

Bobby
Old 04-16-2004, 09:47 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Soften it with a little heat from a heat gun or iron, and peel it off