Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Front windshield

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front windshield

Hi! Does any one have an idea how to make a new front windshield. I have an old Beechcraft Baron Twin. This kit hasn't been made for about 8 years from what I've been told. i bought it used and completely rebuilt it. Test ran yesterday with minor adjustment problems. I'm replacing the side windows with flat thin Lexan stock. The front is a molded bubble windshied. Anyone out there had any success making these. The original is still in one piece but very fogged and scratched. Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 04-26-2004, 02:49 PM

Default RE: Front windshield

If you haven't already done so, check with Iron Bay. (continuing the Byron line) http://www.ironbaymodelcompany.com/

If they can't get you a part, then you could:

1. Make a new plug. suitable for vacuum forming, and make them yourself (a lot of work)
2. Create paper patterns that fit the openings, and cut them from flexible plastic.
3. Wax and PVA the nose of the plane, do a glass layup over it, creating a shallow female mold, from which you could mold good-fitting, but not clear, fiberglass windows.
4. Figure out a way to de-fog and de-scratch your existing windows.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:35 PM

Mike, Can't thank you enough for pointing me towards Iron Bay. Called and talked to John the owner and they had the complete windshield and side glass set. He also gave me all the specs I've been trying to get as far as throws and CG etc. Glad to have a place for Byron parts.
Good flying
Fred
Old 04-27-2004, 03:20 AM

My pleasure.

Have you noticed that "Iron Bay" is the "pig-Latin" equivalent of "Byron"?
Old 04-27-2004, 10:38 AM

Not until you mentioned it. Very clever of them. I'm trying one of their fuel pressure regulator sounds like it may cure a problem I'm having.
Thanks again
Fred