Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

CALLING ALL FIBERGLASS MOLD EXPERTS

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

CALLING ALL FIBERGLASS MOLD EXPERTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 07:36 AM
BULLSEYE
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CALLING ALL FIBERGLASS MOLD EXPERTS

I am finally diving into the fiberglass world. I wanted to start with making simple molds like wheel pants and cowls. My ultimate goal would be to make an entire fuselage out of fiberglass (just like Mike James). It seems that getting started is a little expensive. I have been doing some reading up on the subject and noticed a lot of people using the West Systems products. Is this a good brand? I would hate to drop a hundred or more dollars on resin, hardener, filler and other West Systems products and later find out I could have gotten a much better product at a cheaper price.

If you have other recommendations please let me know.

If you think West Systems is the better product, please let me know where I can get the best deal on the internet.

Thanks in advance!!!

P.S. Is there a RC modelers “How To Fiberglass for Newbees” video out there that you would recommend?

I would like a video that would explain this fiberglass mold process so even a 5 year old could do it.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:42 AM
davidfee

Default RE: CALLING ALL FIBERGLASS MOLD EXPERTS

You won't find a much better epoxy at a cheaper price, but you will find cheaper epoxy at a "better" price. West Systems isn't the cheapest around, but they are well established as being very good. I personally use MGS epoxy, which is more expensive than West. The West fillers/addatives may be "overpriced," but they are conveniently packaged and are easy to get. I don't know where the best price is, as I'm pretty loyal to CST because I've known the owners for 15 years and I like to support them with my business.

There are a couple DVD's available from Bill Hayman at http://home.paonline.com/hayman/video.htm

Fellow RCU member Mike James is also compiling and offering a completely drool-worthy set of DVD's including one modestly titled "How to do everything." http://homepage.mac.com/mikejames/ne...e/rcindex.html

I've been working on a thread on another list, the E-Zone, where I built a plug and am currently finishing up the molds. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374452

Welcome to composites.
-David
Old 05-27-2005, 12:43 PM
BULLSEYE
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks A lot David!!

I was looking at the Phil Barnes vacuum bagging video clip on their website. I was also reading the testiminials. It looks like I can't go wrong with that 2 set DVD. The way Phil Barnes breaks everything down is really nice.

I also saw that there was another video they were selling on their website on composite molds. I don't think Phil made that one. Do you think Phil will make a Composite Molds video in the future?
Old 05-27-2005, 01:25 PM
davidfee

I don't know if Phil will do a molding video. The molding video Bill sells teaches a molding method I don't use personally, but the video is helpful, none the less. The guy in the molding video uses plaster molds (which I dislike) and joins the parts outside the mold, after curing (which I also dislike) On the good side, he does give lots of tips about why he does what he does, the time involved, etc.

I agree, the Phil Barnes videos are great. I've seen all of the DVD's form Bill Hayman, as my club library owns them.

-David