Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

fiberglassing

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 07:46 AM
troyhm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiberglassing

Hi

I have a set of 2m pattern wing all constructed from wood that I want to cover with fiberglass and paint. What weight cloth do you use and how many layers are needed ? Where is the best starting point to lay the fabric on. I have got a resin roller and heaps of dabbing cloth to get the excess off. I have managed to find a thin resin that applies real easily. What is the best way of sealing the balsawood so it doesnt suck up to much resin ? I have a vacuum pump setup as well but have never tried it in this scenario before. Would it be better to to apply the cloth then resin apply the peel ply to soak up the extra resin then vacum bag everything. How do you create then hinge surface ? is it better done before fiberglassing or after ? thanks for any help or comments it will be appreciated very much

thanks

Troy
Old 10-04-2005, 10:55 AM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: fiberglassing

Is there any reason that you cannot cover with Monokote, then paint. The only reason I ask, is that it is very difficult to get what you are wanting to do light, especially in one shot.

I would get some similare balsa sheeting and practice first. Write down what your going to do with each test, weigh each one before and after and see which method works best.

I would mix up a thick mixture of microballoons/resin (super thick, until the stirring stick breaks) and wipe that on the balsa, then scrape it all back of with a squeegee to seal the balsa.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:46 AM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

Troy, I use the .58 oz cloth from Aerospace composites for finishing. I've done a few sets of wings, so here's what I do. I'm sure there are better ways, but this one works fine.

Seal everything with balsarite and sand smooth.

Lay cloth strips on the hinged surfaces first, allow to cure and sand edges to trim.

Next lay out the cloth and begin working from the center out to avoid bunching and buckling.

Do not bother trying to get crazy with soaking up extra resin as you will need to fill the weave anyway. Soak up the extra, but don't go overboard.

Do one side at a time and allow to cure fully.

Next sand the whole thing smooth to the touch with about 400 grit.

Now take some good quality primer and brush or roll it on fairly thick. After it sets good, sand it ALL off. If you look close at this point, you should be able to see little bits of primer in the weave.

Next spray the whole thing with primer and check to see how close you are. typically you will need to sand this layer all the way off as well.

Then spray a relatively light coat and sand it smooth as glass. You should be able to barely se through the primer at this point.

Now spray the paint and keep it LIGHT and even. After some rubbing and polishing you're all done.

Now with all that being said, Monokote is usually a good bit lighter. And has plenty of tensile strength if that concerns you.

Matt Kebabjian (who posts as MTK) has an excellent method for applying dope and silkspan for a beautiful finish that weighs about the same as monokote, even lighter if done right.

Good luck.
-Mike
Old 10-05-2005, 12:32 AM
troyhm

Hi Mike

thanks for the detailed response. I want to fiberglass the wings and other parts as I have liters of pbg car paint in all different exotic colors sitting in the garage waiting to be used. Never heard of balsarite before where do you buy it from ? Can you please have a look at the tempest post if you get a chance I had a question about putting in the wing tube in

Thanks

Troy
Old 10-05-2005, 08:03 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB356&P=7

OR

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB354&P=7

Not sure which version you would want.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:24 PM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: troyhm

Hi Mike

thanks for the detailed response. I want to fiberglass the wings and other parts as I have liters of pbg car paint in all different exotic colors sitting in the garage waiting to be used. Never heard of balsarite before where do you buy it from ? Can you please have a look at the tempest post if you get a chance I had a question about putting in the wing tube in

Thanks

Troy
Done.

-Mike
Old 10-05-2005, 05:09 PM
troyhm

Hi

Thanks both mike and Bruce for the responeses. I will post some pics soon of how I went

thanks

Troy
Old 10-11-2005, 01:34 PM
shomenda
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Mike, what method of prepping small balsa parts prior to painting would you recommend ? I'm about finished with repairs and ready to prep vertical fin balsa spar and top tail horn. Steve