Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

plug making material

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 12:17 AM
Jon Dahlgren

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plug making material

Has anybody used MDF (medium density fiber board) as a plug making material?

It sands quite nice but is much harder than foam. It is homogeneous and sands evenly.

I made a small plug to make a custom fuel tank and it turned out OK. I cut out cross sections out of 1 inch material and then laminated them all together to make a 2 litre kerosene fuel tank. I haven't pulled a mold off it yet.

I coated the thing in professional grade varathane and sanded it out real nice.
The varathane sands quite well without cloging the sandpaper too bad.

The only problem so far is the glue layer between the 1 inch cross sections are starting to show thru the varathane when you run your fingers across it. (3 coats of varathane)

I am new to the composite scene and am looking for info.

thanks

Jon

Old 01-02-2006, 12:43 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: plug making material

ORIGINAL: Jon Dahlgren

Has anybody used MDF (medium density fiber board) as a plug making material?

It sands quite nice but is much harder than foam. It is homogeneous and sands evenly.

I made a small plug to make a custom fuel tank and it turned out OK. I cut out cross sections out of 1 inch material and then laminated them all together to make a 2 litre kerosene fuel tank. I haven't pulled a mold off it yet.

I coated the thing in professional grade varathane and sanded it out real nice.
The varathane sands quite well without cloging the sandpaper too bad.

The only problem so far is the glue layer between the 1 inch cross sections are starting to show thru the varathane when you run your fingers across it. (3 coats of varathane)

I am new to the composite scene and am looking for info.

thanks

Jon

You can use basically anything for a plug as long as you make a good finish on it..

I just made a scale retractable tail for a P-51 and I used 4 pieces of aluminum that I machined and a piece of hard wood that I also machined and glued them together for the final plug, its awesome. This I'll be using sand casting to make the actual part..

Roger

Forgues Forgues
Old 01-02-2006, 09:14 AM
lfalsetto
My Feedback: (10)

I have actually used the green foam to form the part and then take drywall compound and fill it in. Sands easily then take west systems epoxy and brush it on and sand smooth you can now prime it and get a gloss finish. When making a plug for a pattern airplane I actually build it out of balsa and brush epoxy thined over 1/2 glass cloth to make it rigid. Then prime it with about a full cup of primer sanding it to get it smooth reprime sand again then paint it with single stage PPG paint for the finish.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:18 PM
jtprouty
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: lfalsetto

I have actually used the green foam to form the part and then take drywall compound and fill it in.
I like to use pink or blue insulation foam from Home Depot. I get it in 2" sheets and then laminate it together. You can hot wire it to a basic shape and then sand it to a final shape. I then glass it with 2oz glass and the fill and sand to a fine finsh. Much easier to use than wood IMHO. I'm trying to attach a couple of pictures of my lastes project, a Cessna Citation CJ2, but don't know if they're attaching or not. Anyone know how?

Happy flying,

Jimmy
www.jtmodels.com

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49474.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	380553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13062.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	380554  
Old 01-03-2006, 10:41 PM
RCER23

Jimmy,

I was thinking of using the pink insulation foam on my next project but I was concerned that it might melt when expoxy was applied to it. Is this a problem? What type of expoxy do you use? Thanks for your help.

Lynn
Old 01-03-2006, 11:14 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: RCER23

Jimmy,

I was thinking of using the pink insulation foam on my next project but I was concerned that it might melt when expoxy was applied to it. Is this a problem? What type of expoxy do you use? Thanks for your help.

Lynn
Epoxy won't hurt it

Roger

Forgues Research
Old 01-03-2006, 11:20 PM
jtprouty
My Feedback: (1)

Lynn,

I use MGS for my projects but I'm not particular about what I use to make molds. You can use any kind of laminating resin (epoxy) on the foam without fear of damaging it. Polyester products will destroy the foam.

Happy flying,

Jimmy