Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

high temp resins???

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 08:12 AM
hpghost
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high temp resins???

hi,

is there any resin able to resist to 650 deg turbines air?
Old 12-29-2005, 02:44 PM
breyman2000
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: high temp resins???

yes BVM has it it cost $75.00 its bob vilot models

www.bvmjets.com

Aeropoxy News

It sticks to Polyester extremely well

A local modeler who builds WWII models did a test for us because he wanted to know what glue to use to best hold bulkheads (engine mounts) in his polyester fuse Ziroli Corsair.
Arnold compared a popular brand 30 minute epoxy to BVM's Aeropoxy by applying a small bit of each to the inside of the fuse that he had sanded and solvent cleaned. After the glue had cured for a day, Arnold said that the 30 minute stuff was relatively easy to peel away while the Aeropoxy was absolutely stuck to the polyester. The only way he could get it off of the test area was to grind it off.
So, Aeropoxy is not just for BVM jets - it is the ultimate glue for all of your "high stress" modeling needs and it's easy to order - see below.

The ever increasing aerodynamic stresses we expect our models to endure means its time for an aerospace grade adhesive product and AeroPoxy is it. AeroPoxy is a thixotropic, slow cure, aerospace grade, 2-part epoxy system. It is the strongest and best gripping adhesive we have found.

The glue gun is very high quality and there are two sizes of auto mix nozzles provided. Just squeeze the trigger and apply as needed.

AeroPoxy is thixotropic - that means that it stays where you put it. It won't run down and puddle at the bottom of your fuselage. AeroPoxy is white - a great color for glue. You can see how much you have applied and it will cover easily with paint. AeroPoxy can be sanded, although you would rarely get it on an outside surface. What AeroPoxy won't do easily is chip off. If you've been a bit messy with it, wipe the excess off before it cures.

AeroPoxy's holding strength to composites such as fiberglass and carbon fiber is due to its formulation and long cure time. We have learned to schedule major gluing sessions at day's end to allow an overnight set. You can tack glue with Zap-a-Gap and apply AeroPoxy when you have time to set the assembly aside. It is still best to glue molded nylon (carbon or glass filled) parts such as hatch latches or door hinges to fiberglass with Zap-a-Gap and then apply AeroPoxy to the perimeter of the part to form a mechanical "trap."

The AeroPoxy glue kit (#9565 - $73.50) contains an applicator gun, 4 short mix nozzles, 2 long mix nozzles and 2 glue cartridges. Also available are replacement glue cartridges (#9566 - $11.95 ea); short nozzle 3pk (#9567A - $3.50); short nozzle 24pk (#9567B - $21.50); and long nozzle 2pk (#9568B - $3.00).

Quantity Product
Aeropoxy glue kit $73.50

Replacement glue cartridge $11.95

Short nozzle (6/pk) $6.75
Short nozzle (24/pk) $21.50
Long nozzle (2/pk) $3.00

Old 12-29-2005, 03:13 PM
hpghost

I do not see where it is mentioned the max temperature of use...
Old 12-29-2005, 05:38 PM
Dave_Gherardini

http://www.ptm-w.com/index.asp?pgid=3

heres aeropoxys home site. the info you request should be there. I buy it at Wicks aircraft supply for 18$ a quart with hardner.

also add that i use the PH2032 resin. and PH 3660 Hardner mostly. However not in apps for high heat.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:59 AM
Newc

Here's a couple more websites that have a bit more info, but I don't see any temperature specs http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...s/aeropoxy.php
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pdf/catalog/Cat06036.pdf

Keep in mind that AeroPoxy is a laminating epoxy, not the same as the epoxy that is used for bonding two surfaces tyogether such as we normally use epoxies for in our hobby. AeroPoxy is used for such things as sheeting balsa to foam when vacuum bagging.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:40 PM
davidfee

Uuhhh... The aeropoxy adhesive sold by BVM is not the same as the aeropoxy laminating resin sold by aircraft spruce, etc. They are completely different in their application (and probably their source of formulation and manufacture).

In a word, NO. You will not find room-temp epoxy systems which will stand 650ºF for any length of time. Typical HDT's and Tg's are in the 120ºF to 150ºF for room temp systems. You can get epoxies which will work up to ~450ºF, but these are specialty systems which require curing at elevated temperatures... meaning you need special tooling and an appropriate oven with good temperature control.

AFAIK, turbine model exhaust tubes are typically rolled from thin metal sheet (eg. stainless steel).
Old 01-02-2006, 04:21 PM
russian
My Feedback: (23)

Hi, guys!
Are the high temp epoxyes harden at room temp and then after remove part from mold should be temp cured, or heat cure should be applied right away while part still in the mold? I have an idea of making composite cans for 150cc engines and it is not one part piece, so idea is: mold parts at room temp, put everything together, again at room temp, and then bake whole thing. Will the parts keep their shape while high temp curing???
Thanks
Old 01-02-2006, 10:43 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remenber vinylester resin being one such resin. However I do not know the specs. Try Aircraft Spruce for info.

Steve
Old 01-03-2006, 03:02 PM
vortex00
My Feedback: (22)

Check this out: http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/ea_1.htm

Temp to 600^F

I feel the Ceramic paint BVM sells is good for our applications though.
I also like the 1/16" ceramic blanket available at Wicks Aircraft.

Jack
Old 01-03-2006, 06:32 PM
russian
My Feedback: (23)

Thanks!
I just checked this link http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/ea_1.htm
and yes these are good products. But:
I'm looking for Hitemp resin which need termal post cure. I can't bake parts while they still in the mold vacuumbagged or under air pressure and mold itself (made from epoxy) will be destroyed under the heat. Thats why I need epoxy that will harden at room temp. Then the part will be removed from mold and postcured.....
Anyone can help????
Thanks
Old 01-04-2006, 02:15 AM
hpghost

the use I want of the high temp resin is to make a molded exaust nozzle for tubine jets...so it should resist to a max of 650deg C not F....am I right?
maybe the heat shield paint from BVM is ok...I do not know.....
Old 01-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

RP-46 by Unitec will do those temps. But it is $1000.00 a quart and you have to cure it at 610 degrees F for 12hours at 200psi.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:43 PM
TT2
My Feedback: (13)

Old 01-04-2006, 05:58 PM
bruce88123

Maybe email the guys at www.bvmjets.com and see if they have any info they would share. Can't hurt to ask.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:23 AM
Dave_Gherardini

ORIGINAL: Darrinc

RP-46 by Unitec will do those temps. But it is $1000.00 a quart and you have to cure it at 610 degrees F for 12hours at 200psi.
Ha Darrin, This RP-46 sounds interesting. Could you elaborate a little on this stuff. What kind of resin is it and how in the heck do you cure at 200psi?
Old 01-05-2006, 08:47 AM
davidfee

RP-46 is a thermosetting polyimide resin. http://www.rp46.com/specs.html

You can read more on high-temp systems here: http://www.compositesworld.com/hpc/i...4/November/637

You can reach those pressures and temperatures typically with an autoclave.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:19 AM
hpghost

seems to be a nice product! but it comes as a fabrics as far as I understand..not a single resin..?
Old 01-05-2006, 09:43 AM
bruce88123

On their home page they do say:

"Availability...designed as a superior alternative to existing polyimides, RP46 is available as a liquid ---------"

Perhaps there is hope for an available liquid you can apply. You should contact them via email IMO.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:03 PM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

We did wet layups with the RP-46, and it is not a lot of fun to work with btw! It has a methenol carrier tht flashes off in about 30 seconds, then it turns into something like mollases in the winter. Then to cure it you have to pressurize the autoclave with nitrogen because air would burn at that temp. The heat exchanger would fog the entire lab like a horror movie, which made for some nervous machinest in the next room.

ORIGINAL: davidfee

RP-46 is a thermosetting polyimide resin. http://www.rp46.com/specs.html

You can read more on high-temp systems here: http://www.compositesworld.com/hpc/i...4/November/637

You can reach those pressures and temperatures typically with an autoclave.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:33 AM
Marty Snell

Take a look at PTM&W they make a high temp epoxy that room cures and then can be post cured. I use this on my Turbine engine bypasses. After a crash and burn the bypass was discolored but still intact but the rest of the airplane was gone.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:34 AM
bruce88123

http://www.ptm-w.com/index.asp?pgid=1