Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Carbon Fiber BASICS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 02:55 AM
Virg.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber BASICS?

Just bought some carbon fiber tubes for leading edges and wing spars. How do you work with this stuff? What tools? What techniques?

Is there a good internet source for this info?

Old 02-02-2006, 03:09 PM
grillo

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Carbon Fiber BASICS?

Virg: It all depends on the material that youll use, if using the tube for spars on what material, if it is balsa youll get beter result with CA and accelerator, if youre using foam might try epoxy or gorilla glue, it all depends on what it will be used i used to have a JEFF GILBERT'S DIAMOND DUST and the manual called for thin ca, my old COAL HAULER saked for CA an bicarbonate and a few months back talking to chuck andraka (one of the gurus in fun fly) was using CA, Gorilla glue so it all depends on youre personal likings hope these helps just remember to rough up the bonding area with sand paper
Old 02-03-2006, 04:46 PM
MJFinegan
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carbon Fiber BASICS?

Carbon tends to splinter at the edges often resulting in a painful sliver. The up side is that you can usually see aforementioned sliver. Power tools and carbon fiber don't mix. (Carbon dust fouls the brushes). Good luck and have fun.