Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Alumilite as mold material?

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Alumilite as mold material?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 12:04 AM
Kevins_RC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alumilite as mold material?

Has anyone used Alumilite for their molds for carbon fiber parts? I was going to make up some molds to produce CF landing gear.
Any help would be appreciated
Kevin
Old 12-01-2002, 12:30 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alumilite as mold material?

Hi

WE use it for small detail parts and pilots. But have not tried it as a mold material??
Old 12-02-2002, 03:36 PM
bkf
My Feedback: (5)

Default Re: Alumilite as mold material?

Originally posted by kevin4hsrcm
Has anyone used Alumilite for their molds for carbon fiber parts? I was going to make up some molds to produce CF landing gear.
Any help would be appreciated
Kevin
Kevin: I have used much Alumilite in the last year. A gallon. It's good stuff but expensive. With the correct release agent you could cast (lay up) anything but if your only making one try USG casting plaster. That is what I make my canard molds out of. Sealed then coated with vasoline and poured with Alumilite with a layer of carbon in the middle. The molds are still fine. Email the
Alumilite company and explain what you want to do. They have never taken over a day to reply. Bkf
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	38762_1495.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	24082  
Old 12-02-2002, 03:54 PM
Kevins_RC
My Feedback: (1)

Default bkf

I have emailed Alumilite Company and did explain what I wanted to do. I just have to wait until they catch up from the holiday to get a response. I intend on making multiples. I am not looking for a 1 to 2 shot mold. I will try the prototypes with Urethane foam, then go to a more permenant mold, though do not have access to a vertical mill to make my molds out of AL so I am looking for something comparable.
Thanks!
Kevin