Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

vacuum forming

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:02 PM
fireplug1111
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vacuum forming

I have a old Bridi AT6 TEXAN I got from a RCuniverse sale. The canopy is yellowed. I need a new canopy made. Anyone want to make me one, I have the orgional one here for a referance. Or what is a easy and cheap way to make one?

Thanks Alan
Old 03-24-2008, 05:15 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: vacuum forming

You might try asking these guys if they know where to get one.
http://www.bridiairplanes.com/hangar/index.html
Old 03-25-2008, 10:36 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to make one yourself it is reasonably easy.

There are numerous plans available on RCU for making vacuum forming boxes using a vacuum cleaner (or shop vac) for the vacuum.

For your plug, LIGHTLY coat the inside of the canopy you have with vasoline (this is the release agent), then fill the canopy with plaster of paris. After the plaster of paris has set up (overnite), remove the plug from the canopy and let dry COMPLETELY (about 2 - 3 weeks depending on temp and humidity. Next, trace around the base of the plug on a piece of 1/2" regular plywood. Cut this out 1/8" larger than the canopy, then sand a taper to just outside the outline. Now glue the plug to the base. The base should extend about 1/32" - 1/16" all the way around from the plug.

Now get some .020 or .030 clear plastic (I use PETG, however many use acetate or the K&S clear plastic sheets) and pull your canopy. Figure you will need about 4 or 5 pieces of plastic since you will most likely mess up the the first 2 or 3 tries.

Vacuum forming is easy and it comes in very handy for making your own parts or replacing damaged parts.

FWIW - I use a shop vac and have had very good luck pulling wheel pants, cowls and windshields as large as 6 1/2" x 5" x 2 1/2".
Old 03-26-2008, 08:38 AM
TeamSeacats

You can also oven bake the plaster of paris plug at 275 degrees for several hours to remove the moisture. The gypsum starts to break down at somewhere around 400 degrees so your safe just getting it above the boiling point of water.