Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
 Beginner to fabricating stuff... >

Beginner to fabricating stuff...

Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Beginner to fabricating stuff...

Old 07-08-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner to fabricating stuff...

I have been flying planes and helicopters for awhile, but now I want to start building. I know how to cut balsa and stuff with an exacto knife, but I want to take the next step and start fabricating parts out of fiberglass, carbon fiber, etc. I currently have a small scroll saw, a shop vac, and those are the two tools I currently have if they are of any use. So could anyone give me links of importance, and maybe describe how to do these things. I would also like to get a free CAD program, if anyone could tell me where to download one.
Thanks.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:58 PM

Default RE: Beginner to fabricating stuff...

I have been planning to do some composite stuff as well. Mainly fuselages and cowls. Check out the Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD forum. It's a good place to start for CAD info.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_174/tt.htm

This fourm is also a great place to get the info you need.

I have learned a bunch since I started reading in both of these threads.

One more thing, I just remembered that the local community colleges sell student versions of alot of differnet software. Might be able to get student pricing on a good CAD program. I got a student version of NT workstation way back when for $89 when it was selling for over $300 retail for the full version. I think I'll go check out what's available.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:24 PM

Default RE: Beginner to fabricating stuff...

Go Here, scroll to the bottom and select "Tutorials" All you need to know to get started is there.

Ed S

www.cstsales.com/