Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Cox .049 engine and guillows planes

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Cox .049 engine and guillows planes

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 01:46 PM
idkaname

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
NO. Definitely not. It's my guess for a free flight scale model with that enginel, built light. You really need to check with a group that flies scale models with that kind of engine. And my guess is that most free flight scale fliers are using either rubber power or electric. As you know, glow or diesel power is messy, and for free flight there are better alternatives . Try a Google search for .049 scale free flight models. Might give you a better idea of power to size relation.

okay! like i was saying idk where any free flight clubs are and im 99% sure there isnt one within a 200 mile radius of me lol but ill scan the internet for some models and let you know what i come up with if you want to know
Old 08-14-2016, 02:37 PM
idkaname

NO. Definitely not. It's my guess for a free flight scale model with that enginel, built light. You really need to check with a group that flies scale models with that kind of engine. And my guess is that most free flight scale fliers are using either rubber power or electric. As you know, glow or diesel power is messy, and for free flight there are better alternatives . Try a Google search for .049 scale free flight models. Might give you a better idea of power to size relation.

I couldnt really find anything but i was looking closer at a 400 series zero that has a 27.75" wing span says it can be used for a gas free flight or u-control flying
Old 08-14-2016, 04:23 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah, I can agree with that. Originally, at the beginning of this forum I thought you meant the 17" wingspan BF-109. So, I think that would work. Especially if they give some info on putting a .049 on it and flying it Free Flight. Get your CG correct and do some glide tests, and if it glides nice, fire that baby up.

Fuel guide for a Cox .049 Diesel http://coxengines.ca/files/FG.pdf
Old 08-14-2016, 04:49 PM
idkaname

Yeah, I can agree with that. Originally, at the beginning of this forum I thought you meant the 17" wingspan BF-109. So, I think that would work. Especially if they give some info on putting a .049 on it and flying it Free Flight. Get your CG correct and do some glide tests, and if it glides nice, fire that baby up.

Fuel guide for a Cox .049 Diesel http://coxengines.ca/files/FG.pdf
Awesome! ill go with that one then! it is 20$ cheaper too. thanks for all the help too! Also, i should glide test it with the motor on right? Once i do everything ill report back here hopefully with a story of success!
Old 08-14-2016, 05:22 PM
Tom Nied

Originally Posted by idkaname
Awesome! ill go with that one then! it is 20$ cheaper too. thanks for all the help too! Also, i should glide test it with the motor on right? Once i do everything ill report back here hopefully with a story of success!
Yes, glide test it with the engine, cowl, without fuel. Why not do a build thread and show us how you're doing? Fuel proof it.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:25 PM
idkaname

Yes, glide test it with the engine, cowl, without fuel. Why not do a build thread and show us how you're doing? Fuel proof it.
hmmm good idea! im not sure how to. lol i guess im not very self sufficient lol i try and figure it out though!
Old 08-14-2016, 05:27 PM
Tom Nied

Check out others build thread. A photo here and there, makes it interesting
Old 08-14-2016, 05:56 PM
idkaname

Check out others build thread. A photo here and there, makes it interesting
OK I'll see what I can do! Maybe even make one of my own if I can figure it out!
Old 08-14-2016, 06:06 PM
Tom Nied

You going to do the Zero? I've always liked the Zero. Howard Hughes always thought Japan stole his design and built the Zero. It makes for a good flyer. I built a No-Cal Zero and did pretty good in local competition. Whatever you choose, all in that series could make for an interesting subject.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:59 PM
idkaname

You going to do the Zero? I've always liked the Zero. Howard Hughes always thought Japan stole his design and built the Zero. It makes for a good flyer. I built a No-Cal Zero and did pretty good in local competition. Whatever you choose, all in that series could make for an interesting subject.
Yes I plan on doing the zero! I heard that the real zero flew so fast during the prototype testing that it peeled the "skin" off the body!! So it would seem, that the engine I bought, even if its a lil fast, would be prototypical! Lol the next question is. Wheels or no wheels? The place I will be flying at has some tall Bahaia but idk if it will always be there. But I don't want to rip the nose off if it lands on the prop. Idk I will cross that bridge when I get there lol
Old 08-14-2016, 07:16 PM
Tom Nied

Build it to fly without the wheels, they're only drag and weight you don't need. You can simulate the landing gear in the "up" position on the bottom of the wing. But seriously, the real airplane had retracts, so fly it with the landing gear in the "up" position. I don't think you need them, it's never going to land with them, takeoffs are going to hand launched.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:37 PM
idkaname

Build it to fly without the wheels, they're only drag and weight you don't need. You can simulate the landing gear in the "up" position on the bottom of the wing. But seriously, the real airplane had retracts, so fly it with the landing gear in the "up" position. I don't think you need them, it's never going to land with them, takeoffs are going to hand launched.
Okay thanks for the info/tips! And what you are saying will apply to the free flights? Just clarifying!
Old 08-15-2016, 03:48 AM
Tom Nied

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_f...)#Scale_rubber
Old 08-15-2016, 07:07 AM
xby-1

It is a pretty big price jump but i think you would be better of with a 400 series kit. Those 500 series look mighty small to me for a .049. Several guys have built the 400 series with good results, but I have never seen anyone with a 500 series plane.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:50 AM
idkaname

Originally Posted by xby-1
It is a pretty big price jump but i think you would be better of with a 400 series kit. Those 500 series look mighty small to me for a .049. Several guys have built the 400 series with good results, but I have never seen anyone with a 500 series plane.

lol yea! im planning on getting the zero (num. 404) because of the bigger wing span! i was about to ask, would anyone here recommend putting balsa sheets around the fuselage and wings instead of tissue? i would think that it would make it stronger and slightly heavier (which might not be bad since the engine is kinda "overpowered") any ideas? Thanks!!
Old 08-15-2016, 05:20 PM
Tom Nied

Yeah, that might be a good idea, but still apply tissue over it. I've even seen guys use foam cut from meat trays glued into the rectangular spaces then sanded down to match the balsa formers, then covered with tissue. Balsa sheet is not a bad idea and you may even need the nose weight with the short nose the Zero has.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:40 AM
idkaname

Yeah, that might be a good idea, but still apply tissue over it. I've even seen guys use foam cut from meat trays glued into the rectangular spaces then sanded down to match the balsa formers, then covered with tissue. Balsa sheet is not a bad idea and you may even need the nose weight with the short nose the Zero has.
ok thanks! i was also thinking maybe somehow attach tin foil onto the wings and body like tissue or maybe balsa sheets with tin foil over it....the metallic aspect would definitely help the realism factor
Old 08-16-2016, 04:37 PM
Tom Nied

Just my opinion, better would be a dusting of silver or aluminum paint. But weren't most Zeros painted kind of grey or green? Don't look for ways to add weight. But it's your plane, you can finish it anyway you want.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mits...ih=579#imgrc=_

Last edited by Tom Nied; 08-16-2016 at 05:32 PM. Reason: added content
Old 08-16-2016, 06:17 PM
idkaname

Just my opinion, better would be a dusting of silver or aluminum paint. But weren't most Zeros painted kind of grey or green? Don't look for ways to add weight. But it's your plane, you can finish it anyway you want.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mits...ih=579#imgrc=_
OK! I don't have an air brush thing so idk if its possible to do that with a brush. Also, I was planning to paint it the green color so stains and discoloration wont show up as much. So I suppose I'll do the balsa "paneling" w/ tissue over it...
Old 08-16-2016, 07:05 PM
Tom Nied

Best suggestion I could give you, find tissue of the approximately the right color, use Butyrate dope to adhere and fuel proof. Not sure what tissue the kit supplies, it might even be light silkspan. In that case, I'd say, just make an all white (don't paint) Zero. http://www.aviation-history.com/mitsubishi/a6m-7a.jpg You're not flying competition Free Flight Scale, you just want a nice Scale Mitsubishi Zero powered by a .049.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:46 AM
idkaname

Best suggestion I could give you, find tissue of the approximately the right color, use Butyrate dope to adhere and fuel proof. Not sure what tissue the kit supplies, it might even be light silkspan. In that case, I'd say, just make an all white (don't paint) Zero. http://www.aviation-history.com/mitsubishi/a6m-7a.jpg You're not flying competition Free Flight Scale, you just want a nice Scale Mitsubishi Zero powered by a .049.
Yea you're right. If its the same stuff that came with my hurricane hould be just anplain white color. I'll keep an eye out for that dope. I have never heard of it before. I'll look for it though!
Old 08-17-2016, 04:00 PM
Tom Nied

Where are you, any hobby shops nearby?
Old 08-17-2016, 10:51 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

You'll have at the very least,

one, very exciting flight.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:55 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by idkaname
Y I'll keep an eye out for that dope. I have never heard of it before. I'll look for it though!
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAU33&P=7
http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/ebl.htm
Old 08-18-2016, 02:55 AM
Tom Nied

Yeah, I kind of think its going to be overpowered.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.