Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

ring rat

Old 06-24-2019, 09:24 PM
MattCurtis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ring rat

Any one flying a ring rat? I flew mine yesterday and it is too fast. I am considering trying longer lines 42' versus 35'. I am only getting about 1:43 flight time and this is with throttle control and flying less than full power and doing touch and goes. It flys good abd willfly inverted and will do inside and outside loops. Should I get a battery with more milliamps? I was hoping to be able to fly 5 minutes. I wonder if the right thrust in the motor mounts is really needed? I am thinking about adding an adjustable leadout guide as well?
Old 06-25-2019, 05:39 AM
aspeed

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd leave the out thrust, it is really the end of the world when the lines go slack. Using one less cell in the battery usually makes the flight a little longer. Less load, or a smaller diameter/pitch prop helps. Smaller motor... Most of these things will make the plane lighter too, so it will fly better and not hit the ground so hard if things happen. Oh yes, longer lines are all right too. Just remember you want a good pull, and not having the lines go slack.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:49 PM
MattCurtis

The prop that I flew this with is a 7/5. The recomended prop is an 8/4. would that make much difference in slower speed and longer run time? I bought this plane used. Or would I be getting less run time with the bigger prop. The batteries are very warm after the short flights even though I am not flying at full power the whole flight.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:20 AM
aspeed

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not a leckie guy but a 7-4 or 7"-3" might help things out.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:11 PM
MattCurtis

Tried the 8/4 prop. Not much slower but longer flight time. About 2:30 and not flying at full power all the time. I did look at a bigger battey but it is much heavier and the wires way thicker gauge and would not work as the connector is different. I think might not be a good idea for this airplane. Disapointed that I am limited with this set up but a small plane has it's limitatations.78 minutes to charge the battery for a short flight.I do have more than 1 battery actually 3.