Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Sheet metal models?

Old 11-01-2003, 12:27 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Sheet metal models?

For the past few days I stayed home from work to take advantage of the good weather we are having and try to get the vinyl siding on my porch before the winter storms hit with a vengeance. Along with this hateful task there's a fair bit of flashing to be applied. I got myself a big roll from the Home "Despot".

So it's evening now and I'm browsing some sites and what do I come across. A sheet metal CL model that uses the same aluminium flashing that I'm going to have left over after the job is done. It's Sheet Metal Susie and you can see her here at...

http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/sheetmetalsusie.pdf

So, I may have to just add another project to my list. This one would be built as a fun thing. I'll fly it now and then for giggles rather than performance. And in between times it'll look good hanging in the shop or eventually, if I ever have one, my den.
Old 11-01-2003, 12:37 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sheet metal models?

There was an all sheet metal Midget Mustang in Model Airplane news, back in the 50's I think. I also have a vague recollection of another article on building sheet metal airplanes. Sheet Metal Susie looks like an interesting project.

Jim
Old 11-01-2003, 09:29 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In the early 60's a neighbor gave me a plane very much like this that had a Enya .09 in it. The wings wern't finished and it seemed to heavy for a .09 so I removed the engine and used it in something else but it was a real novelty looking at it.

Enjoy,

jim
Old 11-02-2003, 03:29 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Bruce and the Jims:

In the late 50s there were several Jap kits with aluminum skins over a hardwood crutch for control line planes. They were too heavy to fly well, but they would fly. Almost the first ARFs other than Jim Walker's Firebaby and similar. Most were models of fighter planes, the one I remember in particular was a P-51.

Bill.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:53 AM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the late 40's or early 50's there was a sheet metal speed model called a Topping 100. My dad saw one fly and said it made a noise something like a garbage can being struck by several ball peen hammers..........
Old 11-05-2003, 10:46 PM
Steve Westphal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember when I was growing up in the fifties, my father had an all aluminum P-51 Mustang. It was a C/L model and was magnificent. The motor looked like it was in the .29 to .35 range and it had never been flown. When my father started liquidating some of his collection, it was the first to go(about 1970). As I look back, I can't remember a brand name, but, the plane was stunning. I think he sold it for $700 or $800 back then(along with his mint, in the box, Morton M-5 which he sold for $500.) The Mustang was absolutely flawless and the aluminum shined brightly. Quite possibly, that plane, was responsible for my continued interest in the hobby today(although it's R/C now)! I will never forget it. The wingspan was about32 or 34 inches. Anyone remember it?
Old 11-06-2003, 09:21 PM
Rick Fair
My Feedback: (1)

There is one of the Mustang C/L ones in pristine condition at the AMA museum in Muncie ...
Old 11-09-2003, 08:42 PM
FreeFlier

The Williams brothers (wheels/plastic engines,etc.) published several great all metal team race models in the 50s - I think. I've lost track of the issues, but those articles had detailed instructions on how to cut, shape, and rivet the metal panels, as well as how to build and fly the models.

They were truly craftsmen, and those models, and others of course, were part of what made me a lifetime model builder/flyer.

Thermals,

Stew