Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

T.F. Nobler ARF...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 01:45 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default T.F. Nobler ARF...

Anybody got one? I've got a Fox .35 stunt that's just about broken in if I want to go the "classic" route. Or, maybe an O.S. .46LA if that wouldn't make it nose heavy...What do ya all think? I've got a Walker U-Reely, but I need lines, where's the best place to get 'em? I started modelling in the early 70's w/ C/L and always wanted a Nobler, but then I went to R/C, now, when I look at that arf Nobler, I get hunger pangs for one...And to all you "old timers" I also have a Fox .29 w/ 4 head bolts that looks like a very early one (quite rough, by modern standards, casting and very thick and shallow head fins) when do you suppose that one was made, maybe late 40's?
Old 11-23-2003, 11:38 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: T.F. Nobler ARF...

proptop,
There have been some very extensive threads about the Nobler ARF over on Stuka Stunt Works. Some are flying them with OSFP .25's up to the .40. I think you are correct about the .46 being too heavy.
I would not recommend the U-Reely. I have one for nostalgia but would not use it. I just can't get the "feel" of the plane when using one. Perhaps you can. Lines can be purchased from SIG or Brodak as well as some of the mail order houses. For engines up to the .40 you can use .015 diameter and start with 60 ft. length. For the .46 you need .018 diameter lines.
I believe the Fox .29 you have is referred to as a "sand cast" model. Your time frame is correct.
Welcome back to CL. Many folks on these forums follow multiple disciplines.

George
Old 11-24-2003, 08:09 AM
littlefly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there!

Don't let it bug ya. I learned on a Ureely and used one for 15 years. Never had line problems; when I gave my stuff to my friends, the original 7 strand Sullivan .018 lines were still on it in pristine condition. Never saw need to use any other handle. Flew stunt and the old 5man combat with it. Sullivan Products, if they are still with us, will have 'em. Stick with the braided stainless, forget the kevlar ones.

The Nobler was the premier stunter in the 50s and 60s. A real project, if you loved kit building. Bob Palmer's Thunderbird series of planes were also. Shoot, for practice, throw yourself together a Flite Streak and hone up your skills while breaking in that Fox 35 Stunt engine. Then transfer it to the Nobler. It's ALL GOOD!!!!

Got out, went R/c, came back with both 1/2a and full size control line. That spot that nothing else will touch......
Old 11-24-2003, 11:29 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys...I used to use a Thimble Drome clear handle, wind 'em up style (similar to a U reely) and when my old friend gave me the U reely, I thought I'd use it. Think I'll get a regular style handle too, and experiment...My brother's got an O.S. 35FP, w/muffler that I can use... I wonder what I'd rather do? Listen to that ole inverted un-muffled Fox stack pointin' right at me, or use the muffled O.S.??? I'd kinda like the raw blat of the Fox, or ya think muff. press. is ness.? I used to like the feel of .015 x 60' lines (multi strand is all I ever used) and w/ the . 35 that ought to be O.K. I flew a PDQ "Super Clown" (given to me by a friend, built in the '50's) w/ a McCoy .29 and a Goldberg Shoestring stunter, back in the early-mid 70's that I taught myself to fly. Still have the Clown, bro cracked-up the 'shoe...I ask about muffler press. cuz I've never flown anything besides profiles, and I'm wondering what type of tank might be in it. I've heard of a "uniflow" but never used one. Wonder if the stock tank is O.K.? This is cool, gettin' back to my "roots", so to speak. Wonder if any of the other guys in our club might get re-turned (bad pun) to C/L with me???
Old 11-24-2003, 06:38 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't understand the part about the unmuffled Fox. Even if it is an old one without muffler "ears" you can get a strap-on for it. Many use tongue mufflers for less weight and less back pressure on the Fox.
Either engine would work well. Your choice.
Good luck with it.

George
Old 10-12-2023, 04:42 PM
AJ Sun

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

I bought that Nobler Top Flight version. Wanted a green box original but they are really proud of them. I haven't built it yet. Some guys have had issues with the flap and elevator horn they break. I opened my kit and found the horns for the flsp and elevator mine were only silver soldier on one side. You'll need to check that. I fixed mine and resolved the isdueAJ.
Old 12-15-2023, 07:47 AM
AJ Sun

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Haven’t posted here in a while but how you guys doing with your Nobler. I built one of the top flight green box when I was on Okinawa. And ended up selling it when I was stationed in Hawaii. Took me two years to finish it. But used a Fox Stunt 35. The guy I sold it to was a local that flew at the Hickham AFB circle. Great guys I was flying my S-1 Ringmaster and my Flying Fool. Bought another Fox Stunt 35 at Alamowana center. Modified my engine rails and installed it in my Fool. She flew great. Until I lost the top wing. AJ

ya forgot to mention Toung Mufflers a guy in Georgia Stan makes them nice mufflers I got into issues about not using a muffler. On my Older Fox Stunt 35s. Still have the engine I bought in Hawaii. And it’s mounted in my BiSlob along with my new Toung Mufflers.AJ

Last edited by AJ Sun; 12-15-2023 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Toung mufflers