Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Dizzies

Old 07-16-2004, 12:20 PM
$modelman$

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dizzies

I've flown RC for many years, haven't flown U/C since I was 10 and then I think I never made it around one time. I just flew a Sig Shoestring with an old enya .09. The lines were a little slack but I managed a full flight (6 second laps on 52 foot lines). Seemed like an hour but I think it was about 5 minutes. Boy was I dizzy!!! What is the secret

Help!!
Bart
Old 07-16-2004, 12:40 PM
Ryan Nau
My Feedback: (54)

Default RE: Dizzies

Look at the airplane and not your surroundings. Concentrate on the airplane. You get used to it after a while and it dont bother you. If you can do some loops and stuff, then you won't be spinning all the time.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:04 PM
$modelman$

Thanks for the info, when you say "a while", about how many flights ? Also I'm finishing up the Flight streak ARF. I will be flying it this Sunday on 60 foot lines. I think I will only use 1/2 a tank of fuel.
Bart
Old 07-16-2004, 01:06 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

DON"T focus on the model.

Do like skaters and dancers do....hold your head still for a bit. Let the plane fly through the area and then move to the next sector. Focussing on the airplane, with the background whizzing around is a key to getting dizzy. Focus on the background and have the plane fly through it.

With a responsive airplane, you can plant your feet and fly directly in front of yourself by doing loops, 8's, and so on. Just remember that you have to do an outside loop for every inside loop to keep the lines from getting twisted. About 3 loops is the max before control could become a problem without untwisting the lines.

See Harry Higley's book, "Flying Around" for all kinds of help in control-line flying. A priceless addition to your hobby resources!

bax
Old 07-16-2004, 01:09 PM
$modelman$

I'll try that. One other thing, when I made a high pass (almost a wing-over) I realy lost balance, luckily, the guy helping be was an expert flyer and took control on the plane.

Bart
Old 07-16-2004, 05:18 PM
highflyinguy

My trick was to find an open area to fly on, fly on non cloudy day and stay higher than any back ground. The concentrating on the plane is indeed the biggest help.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:37 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of flights should be enough to start getting over the dizzy feeling but I'd strongly recommend concentrating on the model. Pick a point halfway along the fuselage and focus on that spot and nothing else. If you're looking at the background then your eyes are flicking from side to side and your head will tend to move as well which only adds to the dizziness. The model becomes a stationary point of reference.

I wouldn't really recommend doing loops and 8's while you're still having your first flights but later on it's good fun doing them with your eyes closed.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:32 AM
$modelman$

The field we fly at is at Essex Agee, route 62, in Middleton Ma. The field is an old oval horse track. completely surrounded by high trees. The tree line is about 50 feet from the circles, (we have room for (2) circles). It's a little tight, but I realy enjoy the fact that I am connected to the aicraft. I will use all the advice given Thanks,
Bart
Old 07-17-2004, 01:07 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you made it through your first flight without falling on your face and crashing, you don't really have a dizzy problem. The more you fly the less it will bother you. It is a good idea to short tank so that you don't get (very) dizzy before the flight ends. Just keep flying and the problem will go away.

Jim