Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

os - pulsejet type 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 10:45 AM
houseman8556

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default os - pulsejet type 2

Has any one tryed a diesel glow plug out of a diesel car, for the ignition system in a PULSE JET ENGINE??? I have a OS type 2 pulse jet and i was wondering about it ?. I cant seem to get it to start up properly I can get a 12" flame out the back, for a short time if I light the end of the the tube with a blow torch and thats about it. I have a electric d/f up front to blow air through it just won't go as it should

[img][/img]I have the os Z glow plug and a spark plug with this engine what do u think u peeps

Attachments
Click for fullsize
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86865.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	482423  
Old 06-07-2016, 03:55 PM
abecla
My Feedback: (23)

If you sold it I buy it !

Regards

Claude
Old 06-08-2016, 11:14 AM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

I flew controline jet speed with this pulsejet many years ago and starting was always an issue. I fabricated a Ford Model-T auto coil to provide a spark to the OS sparkplug supplied with the engine. It really needed a hot spark to ignite the fuel which was white (or unleaded auto gas). A large barrel auto tire pump was vigorously pumped to supply the starting air. Once lit, and you knew it by a deafening roar, the air and spark lines were quickly disconnected followed by a skidding takeoff and flight. The fuel level, with respect to the ventur1 was critical in that the pulsejet would only draw fuel for about 1/2"or 12 mm. The air supply had to be furnished in bursts, not a continuous flow. A more modern setup would use a compressed air supply/tank and a trigger valve to furnish the bursts. A common BBQ gas lighter (spark type) can be inserted into the tailpipe for the initial ignition. Once running, you had to supply cooling air either by flight or a blower otherwise the tailpipe will begin to deform in about 30 seconds. I do not believe that a diesel glow plug or a nitro glow plug would suffice to ignite the fuel unless driven to almost a white hot condition. I hope this all helps. Let us know how it all goes and good luck.
Rgds,
Art ARRO
Old 06-08-2016, 12:55 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a ten year old thread. Hobby King has a pretty good deal on a similar one for $100 with the spark igniter. I just ordered one, and couldn't get my credit card # on it. Oh well, they are too noisy anyway.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:42 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Also, Days of Thunder on Facebook for all your pulsejet needs