Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

OS Pulse Jet

Old 07-09-2007, 06:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default OS Pulse Jet

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine was into control line racing a long time ago. The other day he handed me a new in the box OS-Jet Type II, it even has the instructions. Unfortunatly it does not have the spray bar. I was hoping that some one might have one that they could maybe take a couple of good pictures of and provide some dimentions of it so that I might replicate one. I think I have a good work around on the air start nozzle, so that should not complicated things. I am also lead to believe that some of the racers made their own spray bars for improved performance. If some one has a design that works well I would be interested in that.

For now we are just hoping to get it running and see if we can raise the dead with the sound. If that works out I might see if I can get it in the air.

Thanks,

Steven
Old 07-10-2007, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OS Pulse Jet

I had the pulsejet engine maked after the plan of Emil Brauner pulsejet. The size of orifice are 0.9 and 1.0 mm. Later i replaced to adjustable spraybar to make easier to tune pulsejet depent on weather and force of reed valve.

How to adjust with adjustable spraybar:
Short run with blue flame, pop..pop...pop, then stop each time: increase fuelmix.
Yellow long flame, some time poor running or stop each time: reduce fuelmix.
Roaring with short arrowed flame: correct adjusted fuel mix.

The problem with pulsejet engine are reed valve, they are burned off hot after some flights. Never run the engine without let it move forward to cool down the engine, it is normal the engine are glowing while the engine are running, insulate the engine against fire at plane.

Run at gasoline and the pulsejet need larger fueltank for longer flight. Use ear protection against noise.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS Pulse Jet

G'day Steven,

Check with the blokes at North American Speed Society http://www.clspeed.com/member.htm

They should be able to help you track down spare parts, and a suitable model to get that baby flying.

I would guess that your friend really meant speed models rather than racing. Racing a pulse jet would be "very interesting!!" if not a little scary.

Good luck, and please give us progress reports.

There is a small but enthusiastic Jet following in Australia. They don't quite wake the dead, but no one is ever in doubt about whether it is running....ahh noise!!!

regards

Greggles