Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

New Member - Is there a list of flyers by state/region?

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

New Member - Is there a list of flyers by state/region?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:15 AM
73Elsinore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member - Is there a list of flyers by state/region?

Hi guys, brand new member here. Glad to find this forum! I have an attic full of C/L stuff from 25-30 years ago. Man the hobby sure has changed. Lots of familiar names are gone: Sterling, Cox, etc. I flew sport and slow combat in the Oklahoma City area in the late 70's and early 80's. Worked in a hobby shop there for a few years. The shops around here all cater to R/C so I have a tough time finding hardware. Mostly I am depleting my NOS parts stock.

Well I would like to get started on this again when I have some spare time (ha). My son is 15 and I would like to go flying with him. I have a couple models ready to go - a Sterling Yak with a Super Tigre G21 .35 and a Baby Flite Streak with a Black Widow.

Anyway, is there a sticky on this site with a list of clubs or fliers listed by their city? I am in Bakersfield, California. I'd love to find some guys to fly with. The wind hardly ever blows here so it's ideal C/L flying but I have not seen one flier in the 20 years I've lived here. In Oklahoma, you had to learn to fly in the wind, or you didn't fly. :-)

Thanks! Pete
Old 08-01-2007, 01:47 AM
Red B.

Default RE: New Member - Is there a list of flyers by state/region?

You can use the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/member-lookup.cfm]MEMBER LIST[/link] button in the top left part of the forum window. It is possible to search members by city, state and country. For Bakersfield CA the search returned 255(!) RCU members.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:25 AM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a few new Cox RTF and Sterling kits still available as new old stock.

http://www.virginiahobbysport.com/index.htm Look under kits, then all halfA and scroll down. There are 5 of the Sterling beginner series kits and 9 Cox RTF planes. I suppose when these are gone, they will be gone so get them while you can.

Sigmfg.com has a numberof control line kits of theirs still available including a few of the half A jobs like the Deweybird and the really fine Beech Staggerwing! These of course are brand new and still being offered by the original Mfg. Check them out!

Robert.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:00 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The AMA website has clubs listed by district. There are several control line special interest groups (SIG's) PAMPA is the stunt SIG and has a membership list. I think you have to be a member to access it. One of the control line suppliers is Stuka Stunt Works, which also has an extensive forum. Check out Brodak and RSM as well, both major CL suppliers.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:06 PM
culver

stunthangar.com is another web forum that is for control line. Lots of members including name flyers so information is readily available along with links to suppliers.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:21 AM
Ralph78

ORIGINAL: 73Elsinore

I am in Bakersfield, California. I'd love to find some guys to fly with. The wind hardly ever blows here so it's ideal C/L flying but I have not seen one flier in the 20 years I've lived here. In Oklahoma, you had to learn to fly in the wind, or you didn't fly. :-)

Thanks! Pete
Pete,

I live in Bakersfield, CA. I have a lot of old Control Line planes etc. I usually fly RC and SAM RC Assist. when I get time, but am interested in breaking out my Control Line planes on occasion. I am pressed for time, as I drive a Dirt Track Super Stock @ Victorville every other weekend, but would like to get together to fly Control Line, if we can find a place to fly. It is not like the old days, when you could go to a park or school ground and fly, now days the fear of law suits have caused the parks and schools to be off limits to controline flying. Unfortunately the USA has become a country "Of the Lawyers, By the Lawyers and For the Lawyers".

I have quite a few old, and I mean old, control line engines, including some Enya 29's and OS Max 35 engines purchased at the base hobby shop at Misawa AFB Japan in 1956. I still occasionally fly a Super Duper Ziltch?? (spelling) I brought home from there as a kit in 1958. I finally built the kit in 1964. I was going to trash the plane in 1974, but rebuilt the motor mount area, and recovered the plane. It still flies great with an old OS Max 35. I even have some of the silk I brought home in 1958. started with 100 yards of various colors, in 1 square yard packages @ 30 cents per yard, and have about 20 yards left. I now cover most of my models, RC, FF, and Control Line, using "Micafilm".

Drop me an email at [email protected] and we may be able to get together to fly a little "Controline".

Ralph
Old 09-06-2007, 10:58 AM
mckinney

It is alway encouraging to see folks come back to the circle! Come visit the MACA website for CL combat information. We have a list of links to suppliers, information, and special interest group sites. We also have a forums section if you have any technical questions about Control Line in general or combat specifically. Our gallery is pretty extensive and we even have a few videos from some of the bigger F2D meets from around the world.

James