Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Old school Sig Akromaster

Old 08-01-2007, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old school Sig Akromaster

Silk, dope, cloth hinges, flex leadouts and a custom made aluminum control horn. 3 coats of nitrate and one of butyrate so far. The tips have been mod'ed, and the nose was beefed some.

[IMAGE]http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z233/cutaway01/akromaster.jpg[/IMAGE]
Old 08-01-2007, 03:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Old school Sig Akromaster

Intended power?

Keep it light and straight - should be very good!

Old 08-01-2007, 07:05 PM

Well...

The kit, about 20 years old, was unfortunately made out of iron wood so it tended towards the heavy side. I got an old G15 Super Tigre planned for it. That should have enough oomph drag the sled around. It'll probably be skidding through maneuvers like an old mag-panned Count Clipper though ;->
Old 08-01-2007, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cutaway
It'll probably be skidding through maneuvers like an old mag-panned Count Clipper though ;->
I loved my old Count Clipper and I wish I still had it .
Old 08-01-2007, 09:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Substituting lighter wood for heavier is always a good thing when it comes to manueverability! (sp)

In my opinion if you are using a Super Tigre for a power plant this would not be a necessity. Unless it is really tired!

It looks like it will be just fine. Keep up the good work friend!

Robert
Old 08-01-2007, 11:47 PM

The built up frame had been hanging on the wall for about 15 years uncovered.

I bought an 11yd bolt from [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6159672/tm.htm]Dharma[/link] that showed up a week ago. I did this one as an exercise to get my silk handling skills back in shape after doing a couple of test panels on an old Tri-Square wing that was laying around.

The endgame here is a Jack Sheeks Spitfire stunter with the I-beam wing built from an old FM plan I'd been using as a wall decoration for about 30 years ;-> I just couldn't see covering a plane like that with plastic. It would have been criminal.

BTW, whoever gave me that tip on Dharma - thanks. They were great.

I think I still got a Count Clipper stashed in the attic at the homestead in upstate NY. Its in poor shape and would need a lot of recovering and rebuilding. I do have an airworthy Renegade down here in FL, and an as yet unflown Super Swoop, Winder, and Matador (from plans, not the kit). I need to make up a fresh batch of bladders, all my old stuff has gone bad.

I do have an airworthy Orbit Ace up in NY that was built pretty light and flew well about 35 years ago. Its just covered with silkspan and painted black, so it doesn't look like much at the moment.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:54 PM

I would not go so far to say as that would be criminal but the silk would certainly look nicer!

Dharma BTW seems a great choice in silk sellers.

Robert
Old 08-02-2007, 05:22 AM

How much did that 11yd bolt of silk cost ya' with shipping and all ?

Do they also sell sil-ron? (silk and rayon blend)
Old 08-02-2007, 09:57 AM

$31.55 grand total out the door shipped via 1st class mail. The Bolt wound up being 13 yards rather than 11. They state up front that the bolt lengths may be somewhat variable and only charge you for the actual length.

I think it winds up actually being cheaper than the plastics even with the price of dope as high as it is. I've been thinking about buying a gallon rather than quarts, but that's something I'll have to mail order too. Sig's $20/yd price is insane ;->

They sell it by the cut yard too. The price is only $.30 higher by the cut yard if you don't want a whole bolt.