Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Kevlar lines

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 03:52 PM
cutaway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kevlar lines

The LHC's don't seem to be carrying Kevlar lines anymore, but I see Sullivan is still selling them. What's the general consensus about them? I've got one set of these, about 15 years old, with the factory crimped ends. They probably only got 20 flights on them though.

I know there was a period about 12-15 years ago when Kevlar line briefly became popular as suspension line for sport parachutes, but quickly faded when people realized it was more sensitive to abrasion and sweat degradation than the more commonly used Spectra and Dacron lines, and showed a tendency to shrink and throw parachutes out of trim faster than Spectra or Dacron.

Should I just use'em, replace the crimps with something else?, toss'em?

Not kinking up when they hit a stout weed on landing does seem to be a plus.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Kevlar lines

I have actually seen a Flitesteak with McCoy redhead 35 flown on the kevlar lines. Wasn't as bad as I expected. Guy came out with some 015 cables the next time and was very excited by how much better the airplane flew. The kevlar lines make good stooge lines because you can see them on the ground.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:43 PM
cutaway

They do seem to have a lot more drag than the stainless. [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6223271/tm.htm]I flew my rebuilt Magician[/link] on'em the other day and it wasn't hanging nearly as tight on the lines as it did with stainless. It was still very fast though with a ST C35, 9x6, and 20% nitro...felt like about 85-90mph.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:08 AM
GrahamC

I agree with the comments made so far. I tried them once but didn't care for them - too much drag and made the plane feel "sluggish".

I put mine to better use as pull-pull cable line for some R/C planes and for that the Kevlar lines worked a treat.

cheers, Graham in Embrun near Ottawa Canada.