Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Old Newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 11:32 AM
CrashMeister
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Newbie questions

Back in the dark ages (when I was a kid), I had an OS MAX .35 engine which I used to fly Goldberg Voodoos.

Something about CL keeps tugging at me, and with the availability of ARFs, I want to give it another go.

I have a couple of questions:

1. The current ARFs that are available - are they any good ? What about the Nobler ?

2. Finding a CL engine. What are the current recommendations for a good quality engine. Around .40 to .46 size (I guess).

3. Lines and Handles: Sullivan OK ?

BTW, I fly RC - everything from foamies to IMAC. So this would just be for fun.

Thanks,
Craig.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:12 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Old Newbie questions

Present ARFs are ok.
OS still makes good ones. The 25 LA can almost do the work the 35s used to. The 46 LA is only a couple dollars more. They're in the $60s.
Braided steel lines work just as good as they used to. Nothing new and fancy here that beats what's been around for years.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:58 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Old Newbie questions

I am in the same situation, used to fly 1/2a c/l when I was a kid. I am now 40 and just getting back into c/l. I have been flying a Top Flite Flitesreak ARF with a second hand OS .25fp that I picked up here on RCU. Been using sullivan lines and control handle, and they work just fine.
Just like in a R/C ARF, the quality of the airframe is okay while the included hardware is rather cheap, upgrade some of the crappy components and you will have a durable plane.

The NOBLER ARF has had very good reviews for its flight performance, I'm getting one these next.

You can find the FP engines for sale here or *bay. The LA engines are still available, but I think they are going to be discontinued soon also. Get em' while you can.

TT has some bushed engines that would also be good for c/l power.

Super tigre has BB .34 and .51 c/l engines available. The .51 is a real stunt timed engine while the .34 is just a r/c engine with a c/l venturi.

BTW, I fly R/C also. C/L just adds another flavor to the mix, and it's just plane fun.